DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I need ALL the feedback I can get!!!

Rhett Mullen

Reactions
Hi there,

I just recently started posting drone related content on YouTube and would love to hear any corrective criticism you guy's have on this video I shot of my local state park! (I also posted this video in the showcase Thread so I hope it's okay that I posted it here as well). Thanks so much!!

Hi there,

I just recently started posting drone related content on YouTube and would love to hear any corrective criticism you guy's have on this video I shot of my local state park! (I also posted this video in the showcase Thread so I hope it's okay that I posted it here as well). Thanks so much!!

Hey Rhett, you said this was a 4k video, and I could only get a 1080 out of it. Keep on practicing and go to Photo and Video section of the forum to submit.

Reactions: maggior
Looks great!
However, the video isn't 4K, it is rendered in 1080P. Make sure your timeline is 4K before starting to edit the video.
Also, in my opinion there are way too many low altitude shots.

But still, it's a great video!

Slow down. You probably feel the need to cover a lot of ground. A slow shot of an interesting feature lasting for 5 to 8 seconds is better than a shot covering a long distance. Long shots can be broken up in post to cover a large area.

Looks great!
However, the video isn't 4K, it is rendered in 1080P. Make sure your timeline is 4K before starting to edit the video.
Also, in my opinion there are way too many low altitude shots.

But still, it's a great video!
Yeah, I was a little confused about that too. My drone shoots in 4k but when I upload to YouTube it doesn’t always turn out as 4k. I think it may be due to the fact that I just posted the video and it takes time for YouTube to add 4k as an option I don’t know.

Nice video, no doubt about it!! I agree with what's been said already, but that's just my opinion.

Ultimately, it's really about how you feel about the video. When you watch it, what do you like/not like? What do *you* think you could do differently? What do you think about the comments raised so far?

The next time you go out to fly and the next time you edit a video, keep in mind your answers to these questions and think of what you could do differently. Experiment.

My own editing has evolved quite a bit since I started doing this almost 2 years ago.

Hi there,

In my humble opinion and only what I consider important about your video:

- All scenes are blurred and with a lot of artefacts. I suggest you check if the raw footage from the drone looks good, then:

1. If what the drone recorded is not blurry or with artefacts, check the settings of the video editor you have used. I recommend you to look for a tutorial.
  2. If what the drone recorded is blurry and with artefacts, look for tutorials on how to get the best out of the drone camera you have.
- Seeing walls, grass or ground is not something that attracts a lot of attention. For your next videos, consider what might be interesting for your viewers and how to get their attention (music, video content, scenes types, duration, ...etc) It can help to watch videos made by others and keep the ideas of the things you like.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Rhett Mullen
In my humble opinion and only what I consider important about your video:

- All scenes are blurred and with a lot of artefacts. I suggest you check if the raw footage from the drone looks good, then:

1. If what the drone recorded is not blurry or with artefacts, check the settings of the video editor you have used. I recommend you to look for a tutorial.
  2. If what the drone recorded is blurry and with artefacts, look for tutorials on how to get the best out of the drone camera you have.
- Seeing walls, grass or ground is not something that attracts a lot of attention. For your next videos, consider what might be interesting for your viewers and how to get their attention (music, video content, scenes types, duration, ...etc)

Hope this helps.
Thanks!

Reactions: DiscoverSpain
Nice video, no doubt about it!! I agree with what's been said already, but that's just my opinion.

Ultimately, it's really about how you feel about the video. When you watch it, what do you like/not like? What do *you* think you could do differently? What do you think about the comments raised so far?

The next time you go out to fly and the next time you edit a video, keep in mind your answers to these questions and think of what you could do differently. Experiment.

My own editing has evolved quite a bit since I started doing this almost 2 years ago.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I didn’t even edit this video. I’ve been look at getting Adobe Premiere Pro. But I definitely will start once I get that!

Hi there,

A few things for you to consider:
1. Try raising the camera a little higher when you are talking, looks like you were looking down into the camera
2. May not want to fly the Mini 2 that close to obstacles because there is no avoidance
3. Might want to find ways to grab your audience harder
4. Might want to try a more exciting thumbnail pic
5. Try some different more exciting music that works well with the video
6. Your footage was great but not the kind of thing that will grab the views, maybe try things like how to use features, effects between the scenes, film events and exciting things, or try filming from higher altitudes…
Good Luck with the channel!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I didn’t even edit this video. I’ve been look at getting Adobe Premiere Pro. But I definitely will start once I get that!
Have you looked into iMovie or the DJI Fly editor? Both of those are pretty good and easy to learn on.

Others have touched on the specifics of the actual video production and design and I agree with most of what has been said. However I am seeing a trend (particularly with videos posted to Youtube) by new videographers trying to build their audience and channel views.

If you treat potential video watchers, like patrons to a business, you want to always, always (did I say always), . . . Under-promise and Over-deliver. If you ordered a pepperoni pizza to be delivered and found a fish sandwich in the box, would you order from that business again? 🤔

Click bait titles are used way too often to try in desperation to get people to watch but they are a fish sandwich when the viewer expects something else. If I see the word 'Cinematic' in the title of a video, there is a 99.9% chance I won't even watch because it almost never is 'Cinematic'. In your case I watched because you asked for feedback.

Your video is pretty good considering your experience but always keep in mind that you want to put your best effort into a production from start to finish. Be your own worst critic and don't set the viewers expectations too high and not deliver.

Best of luck.

Hi there,

I also tried to bump it up past 1080p but unable. As far as the footage goes, I found the first part very confining and constricting. I wanted to see where I was. I was so close to the ground and the wall and I felt closed in. Usually I start a video as a story- e.g.: I start with a wide view, then I go more granular- e.g.: closer in, and then even closer in. You really scraped the tops of those weeds and the wall. It was really not that interesting to watch as far as scenery goes.

Others have touched on the specifics of the actual video production and design and I agree with most of what has been said. However I am seeing a trend (particularly with videos posted to Youtube) by new videographers trying to build their audience and channel views.

If you treat potential video watchers, like patrons to a business, you want to always, always (did I say always), . . . Under-promise and Over-deliver. If you ordered a pepperoni pizza to be delivered and found a fish sandwich in the box, would you order from that business again? 🤔

Click bait titles are used way too often to try in desperation to get people to watch but they are a fish sandwich when the viewer expects something else. If I see the word 'Cinematic' in the title of a video, there is a 99.9% chance I won't even watch because it almost never is 'Cinematic'. In your case I watched because you asked for feedback.

Your video is pretty good considering your experience but always keep in mind that you want to put your best effort into a production from start to finish. Be your own worst critic and don't set the viewers expectations too high and not deliver.

Best of luck.

I agree with most of your comments, especially that videos should not be made with potential viewers in mind, but I would add that it is a good way to make them more entertaining.

What I don't agree with, if I understand you correctly, is that you are your own best / toughest critic, as I think it takes a long way to get there. For most people it is very difficult to be critical of their own videos. In my case, I thought my first videos were very good, but when I watch them today, I see that there is a lot of room for improvement and many things done wrong.

Anyway, the video scene is dead, now it's all about a 1-minute Tik Tok video with some rubbish or a YouTube video with a catchy title but nothing worth watching.

I agree with most of your comments, especially that videos should not be made with potential viewers in mind, but I would add that it is a good way to make them more entertaining.

What I don't agree with, if I understand you correctly, is that you are your own best / toughest critic, as I think it takes a long way to get there. For most people it is very difficult to be critical of their own videos. In my case, I thought my first videos were very good, but when I watch them today, I see that there is a lot of room for improvement and many things done wrong.

Anyway, the video scene is dead, now it's all about a 1-minute Tik Tok video with some rubbish or a YouTube video with a catchy title but nothing worth watching.
Contrary to the above discussion, my purpose in making and posting videos is that I am a photographer and a hobbyist.Drone videos and stills have increased my ability to tell my stories of my travels. I make them for my enjoyment and as a memento, and for the enjoyment of my friends and family and I share them on Vimeo. I understand that many see You Tube as a means to earn dollars by likes and numbers of viewers and they plead for hits, approvals, likes, etc. I usually post in the highest Rez I can get which is usually 4K. I post on Vimeo and pay a small monthly fee. I don't care about the $ or the number of hits.

Even the best videographer and photographer want constructive criticisms to improve their craft.
I am now wary about Tok Tok and the Chinese hacking my information. I usually do not open these anymore.

My point is; the sooner one begins to be able to critique themselves by comparison to other's work, the sooner improvements will happen. For if you don't look for fault of your own, and are content with whatever you put out, you're not likely to improve.

It seems to me the OP is looking for ways to improve and thus I pinpointed the one thing that I wish I could have started doing sooner.

Were you able to keep visual sight of the flight? Integrating the clip following the car with the park views distracts from telling the story about the park view. A clip with a vertical view of the park at a higher elevation would also help in telling the story about the park. The clip flying backward over the bridge would be a good intro to the story about the park. Flying back over the bridge would be a good ending to the story about the park.

Yes, I used iMovie but to my knowledge there is no way to really edit the quality of the footage. And where would I go to use the DJI Fly Editor? I haven’t been able to find that.
If you are already using iMovie I wouldn’t use the DJI one. DJI is a little more basic and isn’t quite as good

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krasto