DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I never thought it would happen to me......my MP "fell from the sky" !!

SNTDENIS

Reactions
In the end, it all worked out well, thanks to DJI Care refresh. Anyway, I live in Tampa, Fl on the Bay, and I decided to fly at sunset on a very routine "up, out and back" flight just to confirm all was well after updates, IMU calib, compass calib and and gimbal calib. I even had just, that day reconfirmed the props were snug, which I thought to do after reading this forum....usually, I don't check.

I was a mile away with direct LoS, and all looked good . Then all of a sudden, my MP, swerved left and crashed in the bay. The last pic was of the sky from under water.

After 2 days of mucky searches, I went out early, at low tide, and there she was, front legs in backwards position, 3 of 4 props spinning in the warm Florida sun. the 4 th prop was gone.

Hopefully, someone would take a look at the logs and let me know what in the world happened... I just can't imagine a prop flew off after I just confirmed them, and it flew at top speed for a mile.....before falling off.

I appreciate your help.

My replacement MP is ready to go fly......
Thank

please send the link to send flight logs and how to send them

Do you think it could have been a possible bird strike?

Sorry for questions not answers before the digital analysis... Sorry for the waiting, I got bored
Going that far out and (maybe) controlling from your lawn with not the best LOS without obstructions is inevitably going to cause an issue.
(Edit; the balcony looks a good [better] vantage point for controlling)
CondoCondoCondo.jpg that Condo is totally blocking any view! Unless the loss of downlink is where you went onto the balcony?
Edit, Edit Any footage from the fateful flight? worth sharing!

• What was going on for you to lose downlink shortly after TO?
  • Did you move over to the left form the home point so the Condo over the opposite side was not blocking any signal?

Final Edit; Perhaps I need to stop speculating from just a position on GE before the analysis by sar

Last edited:
Here's the attitude data from the end of the flight:

attitude.png

The pitch, roll and yaw oscillations are characteristic of the loss of propulsion from one motor. The aircraft rolls left, pitches up and spins CCW, which is consistent with the loss of the rear left prop, but to be certain I'd need to see the motor data from the mobile device or aircraft DAT file.

Aircraft V3 DAT file: How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Do you think it could have been a possible bird strike?
I have had many birds show attitude, but I have a high intensity strobe on top of my drones and it seems to keep them away. So, unlikely.
You could see it a mile away in line of sight? Wow. You got super eye sight lol
That's another reason for my srobe ligbt. Yes I can see that strobe very well, even in daylight.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Here's the attitude data from the end of the flight:

View attachment 55017

The pitch, roll and yaw oscillations are characteristic of the loss of propulsion from one motor. The aircraft rolls left, pitches up and spins CCW, which is consistent with the loss of the rear left prop, but to be certain I'd need to see the motor data from the mobile device or aircraft DAT file.

Aircraft V3 DAT file: How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Well, my man.... that is exactly the prop that was missing. I'm impressed and content with that answer. However, I still can't understand how a prop would fall off after flying that fast in calm conditions for over a mile....

Reactions: shoofly
Mine did the same thing and crashed after hovering for about a minute. The props were loose and checked thoroughly after replacing the props from crashing on the table landing of a deck. After hovering in flying away for a minute the drone crashed into some rocks and was destroyed. With the previous crash causing the rotors to be replaced create a lack of security for replacing new rotors?
DJI care refresh will allow replacement of the drone at least for a Mavic 2 Pro only a month and a half old.

I have had many birds show attitude, but I have a high intensity strobe on top of my drones and it seems to keep them away. So, unlikely.

That's another reason for my srobe ligbt. Yes I can see that strobe very well, even in daylight.

Please share the make and source of your strobe. I need a couple. Thank you.

Reactions: Ray Singcar
Well, my man.... that is exactly the prop that was missing. I'm impressed and content with that answer. However, I still can't understand how a prop would fall off after flying that fast in calm conditions for over a mile....

That certainly is strange. I guess it's possible that the locking tabs were damaged. Was the entire prop assembly missing, including the hub? And any sign of damage to the motor prop attachment? Also - to rule out an ESC problem does require one of the DAT files. Prop loss results in immediate motor overspeed, while ESC failure doesn't.

Any info on the strobe light?

I have noticed that on my MP, one of the motor spindles is a miniscule amount larger than the others and the little spring on the motor does not push the prop up into it's locked position. I need to be very careful that I pull up on that prop in particular to get it locked in position. Otherwise it can be on and turned into position but not locked in place. FWIW.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
...seems strobe lights lead to more problems than they cure.
Being able to go further and see a flashing light means you have no visible means of seeing anything that needs avoiding and to take appropriate action!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser