DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I passed the Part 107 this morning

Kyle76

Reactions
I have a friend in the commercial real estate business and wanted to be able to take some photos and videos for him, so after getting my Mavic Mini last week and finding out what the rules are, I started looking at Part 107 videos Sunday night. The one that really convinced me quickly that I could probably pass the test without taking one of the many paid courses around was Tony Northrup's free study guide, which is 1:43 in length found here:
It's pretty detailed, but presented in a very casual manner and includes a lot of advice on how to approach the questions. I watched it all the way through and then spent the next couple of days reviewing a few others briefly and looking at videos and websites of practice questions. The practice question site I found the most helpful was here: Free Part 107 Drone Pilot
I just kept taking 10-question tests repeatedly until I felt comfortable with most of the questions. On Monday, I scheduled my test for Wednesday morning. I'm happy to say that I made a 90 with maybe 4-5 hours of effort. I'm a pretty fast tester (I don't sit and agonize over questions I know that I don't know, I just pick an answer and move on). It took 45 minutes to complete the 60 questions. I missed five. Many were dead simple, a few tried to be tricky and a few I just didn't know. Tony's video is EXTREMELY helpful, and I probably could have passed just by watching it several times, but it really helps to use the practice test site because the questions that require referencing the supplemental book that you can use on the test have links to specific pages like sectional maps and weather reports. There were several weather report questions, but once you know basically how to read one, they are fairly simple. If you can decode the reports and have pretty good knowledge of the sectional maps, common sense on the others will probably get you through. It's really not all that hard.

Last edited:
I have a friend in the commercial real estate business and wanted to be able to take some photos and videos for him, so after getting my Mavic Mini last week and finding out what the rules are, I started looking at Part 107 videos Sunday night. The one that really convinced me quickly that I could probably pass the test without taking one of the many paid courses around was Tony Northrup's free study guide, which is 1:43 in length found here:
. It's pretty detailed, but presented in a very casual manner and includes a lot of advice on how to approach the questions. I watched it all the way through and then spent the next couple of days reviewing a few others briefly and looking at videos and websites of practice questions. The practice question site I found the most helpful was here: Free Part 107 Drone Pilot
I just kept taking 10-question tests repeatedly until I felt comfortable with most of the questions. On Monday, I scheduled my test for Wednesday morning. I'm happy to say that I made a 90 with maybe 4-5 hours of effort. I'm a pretty fast tester (I don't sit and agonize over questions I know that I don't know, I just pick an answer and move on). It took 45 minutes to complete the 60 questions. I missed five. Many were dead simple, a few tried to be tricky and a few I just didn't know. Tony's video is EXTREMELY helpful, and I probably could have passed just by watching it several times, but it really helps to use the practice test site because the questions that require referencing the supplemental book that you can use on the test have links to specific pages like sectional maps and weather reports. There were several weather report questions, but once you know basically how to read one, they are fairly simple. If you can decode the reports and have pretty good knowledge of the sectional maps, common sense on the others will probably get you through. It's really not all that hard.
Congrats, and thank you for sharing the info.

Congrats!

Reactions: Rchawks and Kyle76
Congrats! Don't stop there, keep on digging and make retention the goal.

Is that a deep blue Strat in your avatar?

Nice....thought it was black and white to match the tux but looked closer and picked up the blue.

Reactions: Kyle76
With Covid-19 in effect, did you take the test online or in person.

And now that you got your license, what’s your business plan? Do you show up and take as many pictures as you can for 1/2 an hour for X amount of dollars?

I took it in person at a small nearby airport. There were three testing cubicles and only one other person testing. Seemed pretty safe. I wore a mask to the cubicle, and the proctor wiped everything down. I really don’t have a business plan. I’ve got a friend in real estate who says he’ll have some jobs for me, but at this point it’s mostly just for fun and having a reason to fly and improve my skills. If I retire, maybe I’ll be more aggressive in my approach.

Reactions: Gindra
Congrats!

Congratulations and always fly with the knowledge you have learned

Congratulations - I have been thinking about getting the Part 107 Commercial License - was a little concerned that it might be difficult but will follow the steps you outlined and see if I can prepare myself for taking the test - thanks and good luck in your future endeavors!

Congratulations - I have been thinking about getting the Part 107 Commercial License - was a little concerned that it might be difficult but will follow the steps you outlined and see if I can prepare myself for taking the test - thanks and good luck in your future endeavors!
Good luck!

Reactions: Geekser
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR