DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I screwed up, lost drone

Trust in our Genius. MORE so than you trust the accuracy of the GPS in your device. It is not uncommon for the GPS on the device to be quite a ways off. This is probably what happened. I bet your drone is right where Msinger told you it was.
I'm looking for the mavic in this stuff. It kind of blends in, doesn't it.

@ac0j, no worries. I don't think @Cherryhead meant any harm by it. He was probably just trying to explain what he thought happened.

Then what was this about?

Good luck, I'll bet you find it now.
It was about clarification of the facts. I believed I had the home point right.

Ok. Now. I'm out here looking for the drone, ok. So... Besides knocking it off, please, here's a picture of the Bonneville Salt Flats

I changed the home point, lost contact,, flew the drone well out of visual sight range, ran out of battery, and wasn't watching the drone, all at the same time on a remote hilltop. It'a all my fault.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I went to that last spot, and the drone could not be found.

So, can you help me understand what the drone was thinking as it ran out of battery. Did it try to go over the hill, or retreat to the flat desert floor, or fall out the sky at that spot?

From the screen shot you can see me walking all over ****.

Sometimes we have learn the hard way. But at least you know what you did wrong. Normally when the drone runs out of battery it will first try to come back home. However, if you lost signal first and then it ran out of battery, it would depend on what you had in your settings. It could have been set to RTH or it could have been set to hover, or set to land.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Hopefully these kinds of drone pilots will continue to loose their drones so they hopefully will exit the drone industry and make it safer and better for all the rest of us.

Hopefully these kinds of drone pilots will continue to loose their drones so they hopefully will exit the drone industry and make it safer and better for all the rest of us.
Aw, not nice. Even I have misjudged things and had a small mishap, cautious as I am. I think he'll be a better pilot now. And I am sure staying tuned to hear some good news, his finding it. I read these things, these loss stories with great interest, like mystery novels, because they involve logic, detail, even maps, with curious entries of wind or no wind, or wind direction changes, electronic interference, so many variables. I am not good at these investigations but I sure would like to be. It seems some do need help at times and it's important to them due to the price they paid for their drone. You guys that jump in to help are very much appreciated. It's nice just knowing you're there reading the forums.

I have read many a post about being a Ambassador of the Hobby when confronted with ill regard toward the sport. Maybe we should express that curtsy to our fellow hobbist? One may never know at whom they cast their stone. Don't get caught up in post counts, many often speak when they have something of value to add.

When you have a tight drone, you gotta loosen it.

Now when you lose a drone, that's annoying![/QUOTE
When you have a tight drone, you gotta loosen it.

Now when you lose a drone, that's annoying!

Oh, that was excellent. I'm a retired but used to teach English and I often bite my tongue and just remain silent so as not to offend like a loose canon. But you've put forth the correction in such good taste I don't think you'll lose a friend. Again, no offense intended!!!

I always seem to be a step behind, but a big Thumbswayup to everythign @msinger has said.
Just as an add on, in this graph you can see the flight path of his Mavic (red line) and also the GPS path of the controller (or more correctly, the phone) when he climbing the hill to where he reset the Home Point (blue line).
View attachment 40627
How do you generate a graph like this from a flight record?
(New owner!)

I changed the home point, lost contact,, flew the drone well out of visual sight range, ran out of battery, and wasn't watching the drone, all at the same time on a remote hilltop. It'a all my fault.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I went to that last spot, and the drone could not be found.

So, can you help me understand what the drone was thinking as it ran out of battery. Did it try to go over the hill, or retreat to the flat desert floor, or fall out the sky at that spot?

From the screen shot you can see me walking all over ****.
I liked your honesty, your experience will hopefully help others not to make the same mistakes. Hope you find your lost drone.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
At this point, maybe we should just hope he's alive. Ten posts on Friday and the last one said he was out looking for it, and we haven't heard from him since. I'm sure he would have been happy to tell msinger he was wrong if it wasn't there.

At this point, maybe we should just hope he's alive. Ten posts on Friday and the last one said he was out looking for it, and we haven't heard from him since. I'm sure he would have been happy to tell msinger he was wrong if it wasn't there.

Yikes! I hope he is still alive... he owes @msinger a thank you. And I want to thank all you guys in advance... I know it's coming one day when I need help. @ac0j and @MavicCF, and others are also gurus with good info, so "New members", make sure you respect these guys.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent