DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I see so many guys posting and asking why their Mavic crashed

My feeling is, as with most new pieces of tech, many new Mavic owners - in their rush to use their new 'toy' - don't RTFM enough and I mean really RTFM. You're throwing a sophisticated piece of kit around the sky, at least know how to control it and what to do in case something makes it fall to earth!

I'm a compulsive RTFMer. I like to know how my new bit of kit works before I press any buttons. OK, that doesn't make me a better operator/pilot but I feel happier knowing I've done my homework and, if anything goes wrong, have some idea of why it did.

Do you get points for selling your service? Have you read the privacy policy from that site? Yeah, no thanks. All of a members data to that site is going to be soaked up by Google Analytics. Ha, F that. If a product is free, "YOU" are the product.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I see so many guys posting and asking why their Mavic crashed, or wont take off, or why this light is on.. And I'm wondering if everyone knows about this free resource. airdata.com I mean Its FREE. why would you not use it? If everyone did use it..the Posts would change from Why, to Hey Here is what happened.. Be careful guys. Dont make my mistake. If thats not enough.. Right now if you register you get 2 free weeks of the Pro acct.. upload all your back flight logs...Most folks will be surprised how many small issues they have run into.

Do you get points for selling your service? Have you read the privacy policy from that site? Yeah, no thanks. All of a members data to that site is going to be soaked up by Google Analytics. Ha, F that. If a product is free, "YOU" are the product.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
Um, you know that THIS site (MavicPilots.com) and pretty much every other site uses Google Analytics, right? Even if you use private browsing and Tor, you're still being tracked by just about every website. YOU are always the product, even if you are paying for the product.

Um, you know that THIS site (MavicPilots.com) and pretty much every other site uses Google Analytics, right? Even if you use private browsing and Tor, you're still being tracked by just about every website. YOU are always the product, even if you are paying for the product.
Well said.

Hurry up and put on the tin-foil hats............

Reactions: Londroner

Just get the Add On Ghostery. There are a couple others. It'll take care of your ills.

Guys, I am also an aircraft pilot and from what I see the true cause of crashes is most often pilot error.
When you learn to become an aviator more than 70% of the training you will receive is related to
emergencies. Engine outs, instrumentation failure, weather related issues, issues in visibility, etc...
However with drone flying I would estimate that less than 10% of the instruction concerns dealing
with proper education of flight planning, emergency procedures, weather and winds, etc. It's really
up to us, the pilots, to educate ourselves on the equipment, its limitations and emergency procedures.
Just my .02 cents here
John

Reactions: Londroner
Thanks for the post. As a relative newbie with only 10 hours I am trying to understand the hobby more and more.

I have been looking at purchasing Litchi for use with my month old Mavic. Litchi offers a month of Airdata UAV's HD 360 Pro plan (the $14.99/month plan). I am really struggling to understand that value of using this service even if it is free (let alone $179.88 per year). It seems that my flights are being logged in the Go 4 app.

The only thing I would find interesting is the battery trend (sort of like CDogg's response quoted here). This may really be my lack of knowing what information is important that I don't have.

Any of you have some insights? Maybe anyone using the service that can relate the value for me?

Thank you!

Its not that it will stop a Mavic from crashing... But with time and everyone uploading flight logs to airdata. The process of predictive analyst can begin.. Imagine in time you get a notice from airdata that says. " previous Pilots have experienced cell number 3 failure on Battery # 2 within 2 powercycles" Another words..Guys who have had problems in the past...Airdata looks at what happened not only during the issue..But everything that happened running up to the issue. that data base is very valuable.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I can tell as someone who routinely analyzes flight data for users who crashed, that AirData doesn't tell you what you need. Sure it provides some information, but it's not the information I look at. I can also tell you of the literally dozens of logs I looked at for dozens of users who suffered a crash, only 5 so far where not pilot error.

Reactions: Lore
I started with a 10k drone my work paid for. When you have something that expensive in the air you always calibrated it before you took off and you were dam careful where you'd fly. You'd never even consider flying between trees or under a bridge. You flew with a neverous caution. I suspect that's why I never had an accident. I simply didn't take off unless conditions were right.

I'm more relaxed with my self-funded Mavic. But old habits still seem to stop me from doing anything stupid.

Reactions: L.L. and MrsTreat
I started with a 10k drone my work paid for. When you have something that expensive in the air you always calibrated it before you took off and you were dam careful where you'd fly. You'd never even consider flying between trees or under a bridge. You flew with a neverous caution. I suspect that's why I never had an accident. I simply didn't take off unless conditions were right.

I'm more relaxed with my self-funded Mavic. But old habits still seem to stop me from doing anything stupid.

Yep, all the crashes I've read up on have involved some form of bold flying and you know what they say about bold pilots.

At a guess i'd say 99.9% of crashes are operator error. Yes there are some genuine technical faults but those are very rare. When you actually access the logs or analyser you find user error involved.

There seem to be a few types:- (i) people flying fairly recklessly and smacking it into something. One problem here is the mavic is SO good at protecting itself from foolish flying that people push the envelope more and more and eventually get caught out.

(ii) People not understanding what the mavic will do and what the functions do with limitations. This goes with lots of people not having bothered to read the manual.

(iii) People failing to check things like weather and wind conditions and failing to appreciate they're outside the envelope where the automatics can help them. Same with low flying at range, signal loss between buildings, failing to set an appropriate RTH altitude etc.

(iv) Panic. The drone does something unexpected (by the operator). He then panics and manually flies it into something.

From what i can see point (ii) seems to be the most common - people simply buy and fly with no research or reading of the documentation. But we do see a lot of (iii) as well.

The other problem is the internet itself - its a self selecting sample. People tend to only post when they're angry or upset about something so you see way more crashes by percentage use than are actually happening. Most people are just flying and not posting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31