DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

The big factor in all of this is Androids most likable feature is also its biggest flaw, open source. Building the app for Apple is easy, one os, a couple different hardware setups and that's about it. Android has Pure Google which runs dji the best, but then you have Samsung who adds a hurdle with touchwiz and very slow updates, just to name one example. The other major problem on here is the guy that buys a drone then goes to Walmart and buys a $49 Android RCA tablet, spends a week bitching about how bad Android and dji are because it won't work. Finds a way to finally get the bird off the ground just to slam it into a tree. My S9 plus still isn't an approved device through dji. It still worked fairly well except for the occasional disconnect. This is alot more frequent while flying the spark.

Reactions: lmel2005 and Mrmund
This must be why the side of the box the mavic comes is says, made for iphones, no adjustments necessary, unlike my samsung S8, that I spent a while unlocking the developer options and changing settings so it would work with the drone.
I'm OK with tech stuff, but it sucks for the average Joe, who doesn't want to be fiddling around with there phone just to fly a drone.
my $200 bugs 5w worked perfectly with my S8, straight out of the box, so you would think a $2000 drone should be the same, or better.

Reactions: ac0j
This must be why the side of the box the mavic comes is says, made for iphones,
made for iPhones is a brilliant piece of marketing spin to make some people believe there's something special about iPhones and the product.
All it means is .. this program will run on an iPhone (just like a few hundred thousand other iOS apps).

no adjustments necessary, unlike my samsung S8, that I spent a while unlocking the developer options and changing settings so it would work with the drone.
Samsung make great products (I very much like my Samsung phone) but there are probably more complaints and difficulties about getting them to fly than any other brand.
There are other Android devices that give a lot less trouble.

I have just started to use IPAD to fly MP too, the experience is very similar to what you have mention.

The only issue i encounter with Ipad, it get hot fast.

Next will be the weight.

Else it is really better to fly using Ipad.

Reactions: BanditsRoost
I switched from lenovo with android to Iphone, also for flying with Mavic. On the old phone, I had problems disconnecting the application or freezing it. On the iPhone I am satisfied with the speed of response and stability

Reactions: drrjv
Hi there I was an android user but like you I saw comments on the capability of using Android on my Mavic Platinum since then I purchased a Ipad mini 2 16gb second hand works great with DGI 4 and Vitchi apps. Hoping you continue to have a better experience using your Ipad.

Regards Irvine (Portsmouth ) UK

Reactions: drrjv
Could not agree more.

Started flying with our I-Phone 6SE; almost impossible to find a smaller useable screen, and pushing icons is an unmitigated disaster.

Switched to an I-Pad Mini4, and Life is GOOD. Vision is awesome, buttons easy to push, connectivity is non-stop, AND it fits in the RC's holder without too much concern. You just need to be a bit careful of the unit dropping out of the holders.

Rgds, NAVMAV
The maximum size of my RC unit for holding the mobile/iPad is 16,5 cm. The size of the I-Pad Mini4 is 20 cm. How did you make it fit?

Last edited:
2ff6dcf614948070fe6a2c225eee406a.jpg
I don’t get it. (Picture)?

made for iPhones is a brilliant piece of marketing spin to make some people believe there's something special about iPhones and the product.
All it means is .. this program will run on an iPhone (just like a few hundred thousand other iOS apps).

Samsung make great products (I very much like my Samsung phone) but there are probably more complaints and difficulties about getting them to fly than any other brand.
There are other Android devices that give a lot less trouble.
I always compared it to my friends that have androids. They never paid for windows/music/movies/games. They just stole it. I don’t have time for that so I use apple.

Reactions: ac0j
I always compared it to my friends that have androids. They never paid for windows/music/movies/games. They just stole it. I don’t have time for that so I use apple.
This is one of the things that some Android users bank on. Rooting, and so forth to get something for nothing. some briefly came to apple and jailbroke those, but couldn't steal as much as they wanted so now they call apple useless junk. LOL! i have been on both sides of the argument. I once was anti Microsoft and anti apple. Back when I had no money and all the time in the world to tinker with computers and other devices. Apple is just easier for me now, I have found an app for everything I need. Plus the apple devices are built like tanks with little to no plastic.

many videos on it,called search,it fits great
The guy I bought the MP from included a mavmount system. I would high recommend this to anyone. I know the mini 4 fits in the controller, but having the tablet above the controller brings a nice balance to the setup and the lanyard comes in handy too.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?
I am a dedicated iOS user for a long time and I have a 9.7” 32gb iPad that I use only for flying my drones. In my opinion the best way to fly is with your iPad. I also have a 7.85” UB crystal sky monitor that I use when it is too bright for my iPad on extremely sunny days but I really don’t like the Android based system that it uses.
It just depends on the situation for which one I pull out of my case. Everyone has their own opinions on what they are comfortable with and I personally prefer iOS devices.

I am a dedicated iOS user for a long time and I have a 9.7” 32gb iPad that I use only for flying my drones. In my opinion the best way to fly is with your iPad. I also have a 7.85” UB crystal sky monitor that I use when it is too bright for my iPad on extremely sunny days but I really don’t like the Android based system that it uses.
It just depends on the situation for which one I pull out of my case. Everyone has their own opinions on what they are comfortable with and I personally prefer iOS devices.
I agree totally. People often mock or discount what they don't understand.

I am an android person,tried a few different android devices all with some kind of problem,went with ios mini4 for my mavic,not a single problem

I am an android person,tried a few different android devices all with some kind of problem,went with ios mini4 for my mavic,not a single problem
The GOOD Android people can get into the settings and developer modes and MAKE things work (sometimes). Thats what a real Android user does. Its THOSE people that have the biggest problems buying IOS. Because they dont let you do it so easy in IOS.

I agree. I've never understood the rabid fanaticism and emotional outpouring that consumers have over the items they pay large amounts of money for. The companies that make all of these devices have no fanaticism and emotional attachment to us. Why should I be in a one way relationship with them? Lol! I choose not to do that with people in my life, why would I do it for a faceless corporation? Whether its Apple, Samsung, Google, DJI, Autel, Parrot, Toyota, Ford, etc.... they just want our money to be able to make the most amount of money for their quarterly earnings reports so that their stock price will drive higher. This is any corporation's single most important goal.

In regards to this topic, there are a lot of Android based devices out there that work fantastic with DJI's systems. However, there are also a certain amount that don't work so well. As someone else mentioned, with Android's open system, it can be a moving target for developers of apps. The result of this is that if you buy a relatively recently released Apple product to use with your DJI system, the chances of it working well are extremely high. If you buy an Android device to use with your DJI system, the chances of it working are good, but just not as high as with Apple.

I'm a geek and have always been a geek. In the end, phones and tablets are just tools. The one that does the "best" job FOR ME is the one I want to own and use. The "best" for someone else is very likely different than my "best". Everyone should definitely go for their "best" and not my "best".

I am Iphone/Ipad user. Nothing political in it. Just use to the product.
That being said my very first DJI experience was with P3/4K using Amazon Fire tablet. While it worked initially, it was my worst experience as P3 gimball stopped to recognize any sd card after I tried to review pictures on fire tablet while connected to drone. Literally as soon as I pressed play button on screen red light flashed twice on gimball rendering it unusable.

Ever since I am using Iphone/Ipad with mavics or phantoms with great success.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet