DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Swapped the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom Camers!

Does the controller that comes with the Mavic 2 Pro have the zoom control wheel on the top right corner?
Yes -- the remote controllers are the same. The camera is the only difference between the Pro and Zoom.

Yes -- the remote controllers are the same. The camera is the only difference between the Pro and Zoom.

Thanks. I figured they were. (Having one controller for both would make the most sense). What does the zoom wheel do when flying the Pro?

Weird don't you guys who Purchased both feel a tad ripped off buying 2 Drones when essentially changeable gimbal cameras was all you needed .
DJI are laughing all the way to the Bank **
I am surprised someone hasn't made a plaate to make field swaps easy

Reactions: dv8ed
This is a great option for those wanting both cameras, and swapping is a simple... but delicate task.

Word of Caution:
This procedure shouldn't be considered a common task, it'll work for a limited number of times. That number is dependent on how gentle you tug or pull on the micro box connector and how the ribbon lead is treated or strained.

These connectors are not designed for many cycles off/on. They will fatigue very easily if not treated very delicately... if you pull the ribbon box connector off the socket from the side or angled, it'll wear quickly. They need to be lifted up straight from one side and just enough pressure to clip them back into socket. Use small tools, not fingers.

How many times can you disconnect and connect... it's probably rated far below a 1000 cycles. If abused, even shorter. I've seen these last 500 plus and I've seen them fail after 10 disconnects due to stress on socket. The computer world has used these connectors on micro systems for years, Apple uses them heavily.

Introduces another element when buying used. If the platform includes both cameras or it's been swapped... you'll want to be concerned with how many cycles and will it require a new IC board to correct. I've seen some tack the connector down with a sm drop of super glue...
Wrong... it destroys IC circuits.

Enjoy the swap option, but be delicate and refain from treating it like a lens change.

Weird don't you guys who Purchased both feel a tad ripped off buying 2 Drones when essentially changeable gimbal cameras was all you needed .
DJI are laughing all the way to the Bank **
Until you break the connector and need to send it in. I'm not certain this is an option I would really use in it's current form. I'm certain that a new connector could be crafted that will make this safer to complete but I'm not certain I would want to be swapping cams too often.

Reactions: ff22
Did you try to record 4K (HQ) or (FFPV) in DlogM (10-bit H265)?

Reactions: m0j0
I bought both. First I ordered the Pro, and intended to keep my old Mavic 1 as a backup. But then I figured a M2Zoom would be a much better backup, because it can share all the accessories including batteries. So I sold the M1P and ordered a M2Z in addition to the M2P, which cost me less than 400€ in difference.

So if now I would crash the M2P while being on a trip and break the aircraft but not the camera, it totally could be an option for me to put the M2P into the M2Z aircraft.

I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing

Well done, informative video! if DJI was smart, they'd sell the other camera themselves with a warning and let people void the warrantees. Ultimately it just means more money in their pocket.

It was me that swapped the camera, the link/video is mine. I did not need to re-link anything as the controller and the drone stayed the same, only the camera swapped. The app still showed the Pro because the app last ran with the mavic 2 pro (the one that shipped to me as the Pro). When I swapped cameras (from the Pro to the zoom, so now the "zoom" will be a pro) and booted everything up, the ipad shows the Pro, because I did last use it with the pro. By the time the app updated, it would still show the pro because the drone/camera hooked up was the "new pro that was a zoom" lol. Man this is confusing.

I did actually swap cameras though. Watch my follow up video, I show the serial numbers.

I will be making the swap and looking to print some sort of shoe or swap mount, i would love to be able to put some sort of adapter on the connector for the ribbon clip to save it from fatigue, i don't know what yet but once i have it open i will know better maybe an extension cable so I am only clipping in and out of the extension?

Until you break the connector and need to send it in. I'm not certain this is an option I would really use in it's current form. I'm certain that a new connector could be crafted that will make this safer to complete but I'm not certain I would want to be swapping cams too often.
Do you know the actual name and size of the clip and port on the board? I have an idea to reduce stress on the port if I can just decipher the name and size

What situations prompt you to switch?

Right now I have been just using each camera in different locations I fly at to get a feel of the capabilities in different environments. I only do the swap at home in a designated work area so comparisons have not been quick back to back flights. So to answer your question, I am leaning toward the Zoom as my primary configuration and the Pro for when I specifically want quality images.

Reactions: ff22 and R1Mavic
Right now I have been just using each camera in different locations I fly at to get a feel of the capabilities in different environments. I only do the swap at home in a designated work area so comparisons have not been quick back to back flights. So to answer your question, I am leaning toward the Zoom as my primary configuration and the Pro for when I specifically want quality images.
Makes sense...So from a video perspective, in ideal lighting, would you say they are close in quality?

Makes sense...So from a video perspective, in ideal lighting, would you say they are close in quality?

I haven't really done any video for comparison yet, just some pictures. Just getting into photography, but I do see how much more I can work with the Pro pictures than the Zoom on my computer after comparing them (which would be obvious with the two sensors). I really prefer the Zoom when just flying for fun though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan