DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I think I have it.......

What do you think of this ?

• Give me a place to send my money already!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The WORDS on the sign are a BAD idea

• I would like to talk to you more about THE WORDS on the sign

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't seem to be understanding that if something can't be successfully copyrighted, trademarked or patented, and anyone can copy it by simply varying the words, all discussion about the potential value of the idea is irrelevant. It has no value if it can't be protected !

But it does have value (of a different kind) if it's just an idea you are nice enough to share with your flying community.
LOL! Relentless you are. Still off topic.
Maybe I should just trademark the word Drone. And make people pay to use that?

No, not off-topic. Directly addressing the point you raised. But you are right - I'm flogging a dead (or at least deaf) horse here; I should just give up :)
Must be slow at the law office today huh?
Want some help with customer acquisition? :D

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Just going out on a limb here, but you've never worked in marketing or at a startup have you?

Value is what someone actual pays you for your product or "idea". What people say they will pay is pretty meaningless.

One way a potential customer might calculate the value your 'product' adds would be compared to making their own:
500 sheets of paper - $5
Laminating machine - $20
500 lamination sheets - $40
Printer - $40
1000 zip ties - $15
Total - $120

Unit cost $140 / 500 = $0.24 per sign.

Or someone might take a guess and say for every sign they put up they'll get 5 new jobs at $10000 each - jeez let me pay $5000 a sign for that!!!1!

I've just voted in your poll, but would switch if there was a "Good idea and would help people but low value" option.

You labeling anyone who tries to give constructive feedback as being off topic or having poor reading comprehension (or worse, being a thief) is not the best way to get feedback. It seems that you already know the answers you are looking for, they just are not based on reality.

In the interests of doing everything I can to be helpful...
Personally I am looking at doing some paid work in the future. It's not something I'd need this type of signage for, but if they were cheap I might try and make use of them. If you had signs like this that were well made and could be reused, I probably would buy half a dozen at a unit cost of $5 inc free shipping. That is what their perceived value to me, a potential customer, is.

Reactions: AeroJ and wytnyt
Just going out on a limb here, but you've never worked in marketing or at a startup have you?

Value is what someone actual pays you for your product or "idea". What people say they will pay is pretty meaningless.

One way a potential customer might calculate the value your 'product' adds would be compared to making their own:
500 sheets of paper - $5
Laminating machine - $20
500 lamination sheets - $40
Printer - $40
1000 zip ties - $15
Total - $120

Unit cost $140 / 500 = $0.24 per sign.

Or someone might take a guess and say for every sign they put up they'll get 5 new jobs at $10000 each - jeez let me pay $5000 a sign for that!!!1!

I've just voted in your poll, but would switch if there was a "Good idea and would help people but low value" option.

You labeling anyone who tries to give constructive feedback as being off topic or having poor reading comprehension (or worse, being a thief) is not the best way to get feedback. It seems that you already know the answers you are looking for, they just are not based on reality.

In the interests of doing everything I can to be helpful...
Personally I am looking at doing some paid work in the future. It's not something I'd need this type of signage for, but if they were cheap I might try and make use of them. If you had signs like this that were well made and could be reused, I probably would buy half a dozen at a unit cost of $5 inc free shipping. That is what their perceived value to me, a potential customer, is.
So, You voted it wouldnt be worth a thing, then offer to buy one!?!?. Real piece of work you are! :D
Holy cow. Do you spend a lot of time trolling the classifieds?
I am trying to sell something, and you are telling people to steal it instead!
Anyone selling Mavics out there?
Has this lunatic been telling you about your possible legal problems?
Does he keep coming in your AD and telling you that you are nuts and he can do it cheaper, then imply he is better than you? Sheeesh!
Come on man!, I am trying to work here!
I think I'll stick with EBAY!

Big announcement after 600 views!

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
So, You voted it wouldnt be worth a thing, then offer to buy one!?!?. Real piece of work you are! :D
Holy cow. Do you spend a lot of time trolling the classifieds?
I am trying to sell something, and you are telling people to steal it instead!

We voted like that, as @Malcx explained, because you didn't have the preferable option listed.

He also offered you excellent advice about what the idea was worth to him, and how he arrived at that sensible conclusion, which is exactly what you have been asking for, but something in your brain will not allow you to recognize or appreciate this. I simply cannot fathom how you took what he said and interpreted that as 'telling people to steal your idea' ! He did no such thing !

I was resolved to leave this thread well alone, but you keep saying such ridiculous things that someone has to call you out on them !!

Reactions: Malcx
This is a classified ad! Not a discussion about me being right or wrong!
I asked for comments on what its worth as a tool for improving business in that sense.
then I get comments like "get some paper, some laminating sheets and some sharpies and you could have it for a quarter" from OJ's back up dream team. That might be HIS advertising level. I would suggest FAR better quality that that or it would just make a company look stupid. For anyone looking to make YOUR OWN INSTEAD OF BUY.Talk about really missing the scope of the discussion, and dragging more garbage into it. Kind of ruined what I am trying to do later with this. I AM NOT SELLING SIGNS. I even said I would prefer not to, more than once.
I said if enough interest, I MIGHT consider a small generic run, but that it would be much better if made by a professional printer with a company logo specific to the users.

ITS THE concept and the idea that has value, Not the paper and ink. REAL business owners will know what I am talking about. so if you cant figure that out on you own, you have no buisness answering the poll you dont understand.
First choice (sarcastic) Good idea,
Second choice bad idea (sarcastic) (your brilliant opinion, boy am I glad I dont rely on your leadership decisions for my income!)
3rd choice I want to do it. (sarcastic)
If you cant see that, get out of this FOR SALE ad, and go and finish your internet forum law degree..

Changed the poll options so the "impaired" can have something they understand :D You get to pick 2 now!

Few more views and we will get to the real meat of the subject here.
Please just answer the poll, I dont need law, copyright, and IP, law opinions. Most of that was sarcasm anyway.
(Sorry sarcasm impaired)

This is a classified ad! Not a discussion about me being right or wrong!
And then you directly asked for people's thoughts - we gave you feedback in good faith trying to be helpful.

Talk about really missing the scope of the discussion
Pot meet kettle - discuss pigmentation.

ITS THE concept and the idea that has value
Concepts and ideas don't really have any inherent value - they are multipliers over execution. I don't expect you to understand or agree, I'll just wish you luck in getting all that lovely license money for your idea and to enjoy your imminent and wealthy retirement!

And then you directly asked for people's thoughts - we gave you feedback in good faith trying to be helpful.

Pot meet kettle - discuss pigmentation.

Concepts and ideas don't really have any inherent value - they are multipliers over execution. I don't expect you to understand or agree, I'll just wish you luck in getting all that lovely license money for your idea and to enjoy your imminent and wealthy retirement!

You are about to feel REALLY dumb.....

YOU are arguing about licensing, patents, copyright, IP, and how I am too stupid to make this work, without following your instructions or whatever you were trying to do.
I guess to disrupt any onlookers from positive, constructive input? Who knows what you are thinking.
YOU are telling everyone how people can take my idea and make their own signs cheaper, You even went as far as doing research for them on materials to do it.. (poor choice of material for a professional sign, but I digress)
When I have not EVER even ONCE mentioned a price. (On purpose of course)
THEN along with repeated bashing,
You vote in the poll for ;
"No hope in the world this would help anyone"

THEN THE MAGIC HAPPENS!
Low and BEHOLD!
YOU of all people offer to buy "Maybe a dozen or so" of the WORTHLESS things for $5 apiece.
Will you LOOK AT THAT! JUST what I am looking for! from my biggest PITA no less.

YOU set a price NOT ME.
Kind of silly if you think about it. By your account, That is $60 in value to your company In your opinion.
A specific number YOU of all people said I could never get SO, ironically you are the one that proved yourself wrong!

Not a direction I figured this thread would go, but I'll take it I guess. You may have ruined it with the "professional advice" LOL!
But at least we have one positive result, right from the one that had the least amount of faith in it.
Mind boggling..... Anyway, Thanks for the starting point!

I was hoping someone else would chime in similarly, But you and Areo have been pretty chatty on the "you cant do that" parade!
Lets hope the nonsense hasn't scared everyone else off for good.
Maybe it would be best if you just sit back and watch, maybe learn something (if you havent been the death of it already) for the duration of this OK?

Allright, Back to work..........

Hey everyone else, Malcom X has set the bar. Even HIS drone company, that NEVER does that kind of work thinks it could use 12 signs with this wording, and he would pay $60 for them. This is hypothetically a generic sign of quality manufacture. (by Malcoms standard) He will take his sharpies and add his company information, phone ETC.

I would not recommend that! Actually not smart at all.

The Quality of your advertising establishes the consumers perception of your companies value. if your signs, flyers, pamphlets, whatever you get Looks cheap, people will Perceive cheap. AND they wouldnt expect your work to be of any better quality of your advertisements. Agreed so far? (I hope so its a no brain required thing!)

I would think a FULL custom sign, two sided, two or more colors, with your logo and information The way YOU want it, printed. Made of weatherproof outdoor materials that you could expect to last for at LEAST two years. Maybe 10 times that if not deployed 24/7 would be just about the cats Meow, NO?
BUT Unless someone wants to buy 1000 of them printed that way, probably not going to happen for $5 each obviously!
What would this sign worded like I suggested in the OP, Made to YOUR specifications, With YOUR edits, in YOUR color choices. be WORTH to you? As much as that Crystal sky monitor? Maybe the Ipad Mini? How about the $99 folding landing pad that is constantly a banner on this site? Is it only worth the price of one replacement battery? Maybe you would like to pay the price of What just ONE good job pays you? Think about this a moment.........

This is where I need your help. Chime in here please!
Dont turn this into a thing about me making money, make it about what you would be willing to spend for the benefit of your company. Dont think of even paying ME anything. Remember, Its not about copyright, its about how you spend advertising dollars on yourself.

@Thunderdrones Thanks for being the only one helpful in this entire thread so far! I appreciate that a lot!

All the talk about unwanted people questioning you while you work, making threats, etc. Is all avoidable
I already avoid this kind of nonsense..... I IGNORE THEM!
Problem solved and I don’t have to spend hours of my valuable time putting up and taking down signs or inviting useless banter with people that puts NO money in my pocket.

I already avoid this kind of nonsense..... I IGNORE THEM!
Problem solved and I don’t have to spend hours of my valuable time putting up and taking down signs or inviting useless banter with people that puts NO money in my pocket.

You missed a post.
Pay attention (if you drone for money)
Ignoring potential clients and not talking to people is not a very profitable solution.

You are about to feel REALLY dumb.....

YOU are arguing about licensing, patents, copyright, IP, and how I am too stupid to make this work, without following your instructions or whatever you were trying to do.
I guess to disrupt any onlookers from positive, constructive input? Who knows what you are thinking.
YOU are telling everyone how people can take my idea and make their own signs cheaper, You even went as far as doing research for them on materials to do it.. (poor choice of material for a professional sign, but I digress)
When I have not EVER even ONCE mentioned a price. (On purpose of course)
THEN along with repeated bashing,
You vote in the poll for ;
"No hope in the world this would help anyone"

THEN THE MAGIC HAPPENS!
Low and BEHOLD!
YOU of all people offer to buy "Maybe a dozen or so" of the WORTHLESS things for $5 apiece.
Will you LOOK AT THAT! JUST what I am looking for! from my biggest PITA no less.

YOU set a price NOT ME.
Kind of silly if you think about it. By your account, That is $60 in value to your company In your opinion.
A specific number YOU of all people said I could never get SO, ironically you are the one that proved yourself wrong!

Not a direction I figured this thread would go, but I'll take it I guess. You may have ruined it with the "professional advice" LOL!
But at least we have one positive result, right from the one that had the least amount of faith in it.
Mind boggling..... Anyway, Thanks for the starting point!

I was hoping someone else would chime in similarly, But you and Areo have been pretty chatty on the "you cant do that" parade!
Lets hope the nonsense hasn't scared everyone else off for good.
Maybe it would be best if you just sit back and watch, maybe learn something (if you havent been the death of it already) for the duration of this OK?

Allright, Back to work..........

Hey everyone else, Malcom X has set the bar. Even HIS drone company, that NEVER does that kind of work thinks it could use 12 signs with this wording, and he would pay $60 for them. This is hypothetically a generic sign of quality manufacture. (by Malcoms standard) He will take his sharpies and add his company information, phone ETC.

I would not recommend that! Actually not smart at all.

The Quality of your advertising establishes the consumers perception of your companies value. if your signs, flyers, pamphlets, whatever you get Looks cheap, people will Perceive cheap. AND they wouldnt expect your work to be of any better quality of your advertisements. Agreed so far? (I hope so its a no brain required thing!)

I would think a FULL custom sign, two sided, two or more colors, with your logo and information The way YOU want it, printed. Made of weatherproof outdoor materials that you could expect to last for at LEAST two years. Maybe 10 times that if not deployed 24/7 would be just about the cats Meow, NO?
BUT Unless someone wants to buy 1000 of them printed that way, probably not going to happen for $5 each obviously!
What would this sign worded like I suggested in the OP, Made to YOUR specifications, With YOUR edits, in YOUR color choices. be WORTH to you? As much as that Crystal sky monitor? Maybe the Ipad Mini? How about the $99 folding landing pad that is constantly a banner on this site? Is it only worth the price of one replacement battery? Maybe you would like to pay the price of What just ONE good job pays you? Think about this a moment.........

This is where I need your help. Chime in here please!
Dont turn this into a thing about me making money, make it about what you would be willing to spend for the benefit of your company. Dont think of even paying ME anything. Remember, Its not about copyright, its about how you spend advertising dollars on yourself.

@Thunderdrones Thanks for being the only one helpful in this entire thread so far! I appreciate that a lot!

Life is too short to refute your rant point by point, and apparently you already know everything anyway. I guess you were only posting to hear how wonderful the idea is, get your ego massaged and not get actual feedback.
Have a beer and good luck Thumbswayup

Reactions: StevenR296
Life is too short to refute your rant point by point, and apparently you already know everything anyway. I guess you were only posting to hear how wonderful the idea is, get your ego massaged and not get actual feedback.
Have a beer and good luck Thumbswayup
I hope that was a door closing behind you I perceived.:D
Anyway, Thanks for unwittingly helping me along!

This as a cost effective marketing strategy? Oooookaaaaay
be patient!
I dont see you as the argumentative type, It is leading somewhere I promise, But ONLY IF the people that are watching are really wanting to know how they could improve things.. If not, they can check of the thread now, and continue as they are.

Maybe Malcom the doubter has people scared that I will embarrass them So I'll change the format just this time.
Instead of PUBLICLY posting what YOU think this idea is worth, (as I described a couple posts ago)
I want you to get a piece of paper and write that number down. Then, decide how many of these signs you could use, and do the math, come up with your total investment, and write that down.

Also use this time to calculate what all the fun tech bits you have collected to get this business going has cost you so far, write that down off to the side. Give this a LOT of thought its important! This way you wont have to worry about me getting into your pockets:D

Then one final thing, write down what you have collected so far this year for work you have done. NOT what is NOT PAID, but collected. Because you haven't made anything till the payment goes through.

I'll give this a bit, so the over the pond guys can participate. When you have this done, and you are sure of your numbers, simply reply "ready!"
that way I will have at Least an idea how many of the 500ish views are truly interested in this. That's really all that is important to me.
And i understand that all the arguing with the peanut gallery has not helped. They dont get it, so it wont help them anyway. (one was close i think) I apologize!

Stay tuned!

An Idea jumped in my head this afternoon. You fly for money guys may be interested in this.
First off, With this date and time stamped post on an international forum I make record that this is my original intellectual property and may also look into copyright. So any use of this after this day and time, will be infringing on my property. Blahh blahh........

All the talk about unwanted people questioning you while you work, making threats, etc. Is all avoidable.
Also, This is a VERY inexpensive way to possibly generate additional work right in the area you are working anyway.

My thought is to carry a few signs, (which the wording or any variation of such with the same intent is MINE)

Post them in the neighborhood you plan to work 2 to 3 days in advance.. They could be part white board, so you can dry erase dates and times. It would basically read as follows.

NOTICE
A drone will be deployed in this area on ??/?? (date) Between the hours of 00:00 and 00:00 It will be performing a roof evaluation and or/a property inspection for A property owner.
Please be aware that this will include the capture of photos and/or Video of the property and areas of the properties margins.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to call our office:
(company name here)
(000) 000-0000
Thank you!

Not only could this almost completely eliminate the unwanted interviews with hostile neighbors, They will contact you to do it for them too, because as we know EVERYONE has to keep up with the Jones's!

Now for a little feedback time. I suppose I could make an investment and have these made in a generic version. BUT I think a sign prepared just for your company with your logo would have more impact. And I dont really want to get into manufacturing anyway.
So What about a licensing deal? I come up with a fair price, your company purchases the right to use my original work in conjunction with their own, and everyone benefits!!

This being said, from this day forward, I will be offering a bounty to anyone that reports to me the use of my intellectual property without my permission. That bounty shall be 50% of the cash recovery after the any action is settled. NO limit.

SEE! everybody wins! I love to travel and meet people either at home or at the courthouse so its a no brainer :D

I will also donate 20% of the total profit from this idea to various children's organizations. ( I do that with everything anyway.)

ETA; If this produces interest and income, I will apply for vendor status.

Lets discuss..........

Because I am a private person who doesn’t like crowds or anyone asking me a million questions while I am flying, I made a sign using a foam board presentation display and wrote out, “I am a drone pilot, and I am currently operating a very expensive piece of equipment in this area. I am filming and taking still photos of the area, not the people in it, so please do not disturb me until my aircraft is on the ground and powered down. Please keep your children away as well, as this aircraft has sharp edges and will be hot when it returns. I am not responsible for any injuries due to neglect on your part. Thank you for understanding.

Name
Ph. #

I hope this doesn’t infringe, because you’d have to backdate the complaint to July

I fly commercially have been for over 2 years, we post notifications at every job site and will continue to do so.
My company would love to see you in court. We have the documentation on every job site we have ever done. Posting notifications is part of our job description and protocol.

I fly commercially have been for over 2 years, we post notifications at every job site and will continue to do so.
My company would love to see you in court. We have the documentation on every job site we have ever done. Posting notifications is part of our job description and protocol.
Ok then. So you agree that professional signs have value to your business then. Forget about the words On the signs please.
Maybe the custom sign I described has too many people sacred? Or gives them a chance to feel smart? I keep saying words are not the main focus of this. My bad. I should have started maybe with professional pilot footwear maybe. Too late now. Got everyone so hung up on copyright words they can’t seem to follow along.

You really need to buy your lawyer friend another beer and have him give you the short course on the differences between a copyright and a Trademark..... and have him throw in a primer on patents as well. Your reasoning is a mish mash venn diagram of all three

ng7y2x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929