DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was just thinking. Do any of you think someone will invent a hardware device that can block RID signals from being sent out from a drone?

RID doesn't work that way. It's like asking for some kind of hardware that blocks the latitude but not the longitude of the transmitted GPS position of the drone. RID is encoded by the software in the drone and goes out with all the other information ... it's not some separate RF emission. If you want to stop RID on a recent update it's going to have to be done as a hack of the software.

If a drone operator uses one, they will be in violation of § 89.110 (a)(1), "From takeoff to shutdown, the standard remote identification unmanned aircraft must broadcast the message elements of § 89.305.", or § 89.115 (2)(i), "From takeoff to shutdown, the person operating the unmanned aircraft must ensure that the remote identification broadcast module broadcasts the remote identification message elements of § 89.315 directly from the unmanned aircraft."

So it's unlikely anyone will make one, technical limitations notwithstanding.

Any Thoughts?
I'm probably going to get jumped on here, but... there's a link to a github repository on the Drone-Hacks web page that addresses this topic. Haven't tried it. Haven't tested it - I've only read the related article out of general interest. RID isn't yet a problem in the U.K... as far as I'm aware.

there's a link to a github repository on the Drone-Hacks web page that addresses this topic
And that just disables the Remote ID feature. It would be easier (in theory) to do than what the OP is suggesting (blocking the signal).

Why can’t they make RID on a need to know bases. For example FAA, and Law enforcement need to know, but not the general public.
Think of it as your license plate on vehicle yes everyone needs to have it on their vehicle but only law enforcement can see who the owner is and where he lives, but general public does not have a access to that?

Think of it as your license plate on vehicle yes everyone needs to have it on their vehicle but only law enforcement can see who the owner is and where he lives, but general public does not have a access to that?
Yep, Remote ID works just like license plates. Even though you're able to receive the Remote ID data (if you're close enough), you won't have access to look up the owner's information by the retrieved IDs.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman