DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Icing on Props

Yes, I had slight icing when flying through a snowy area with low hanging clouds. I was able to land the Mavic Pro and inspect. Sure enough - icing on the props.

Reactions: Icelandman
Maybe give your props a preflight dip in antifreeze? I think that’s basically what airports spray on departing aircraft when necessary. Maybe an expert knows the proper formulation, but it might not work or have unintended consequences.

Reactions: Icelandman
I fly from my truck when it is really cold. :)

me too! it is not only much warmer, it is also very stealthy. Occusync is so good that I always fly while sitting in the comforts of my truck or buddies RV.

me too! it is not only much warmer, it is also very stealthy. Occusync is so good that I always fly while sitting in the comforts of my truck or buddies RV.

Its kind of amazing that I still get signal at times , but I'm not complaining. :)

Maybe give your props a preflight dip in antifreeze? I think that’s basically what airports spray on departing aircraft when necessary. Maybe an expert knows the proper formulation, but it might not work or have unintended consequences.

They de-ice prior to take off to remove built up ice and snow on the leading edges and top surfaces of the aircraft, with wings and tail surfaces being the most important, that procedure will not prevent icing during flight. It just makes sure the aircraft is safe at takeoff, for climb out. If snow and ice were left on the leading edges, the aircraft may well not take off or stall shortly after take off, and that would be a LOT of paper work for the pilot.

Heated leading edges or boots are what keeps the ice off during flight and icing will happen at different altitudes. You need to check your weather to avoid icing conditions. The conditions for icing is perfect when the ambient temp is the same as the Dew Point temp., the further away from each other these numbers are, the less chance of icing happening. Also bear in mind that the perfect situation of same ambient air temp and dew point temp is not limited only to winter, it can happen anytime, though not at the legal altitudes we should fly at in warmer times of the year, so no worries there. So, check those temps and if they are the same or close, just wait to fly later in the day or a different day, if you want to eliminate the chance for icing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1