DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'D LIKE TO PRESENT MY CARD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

360 Guy

Reactions
No more fly away SD card with this simple solution, I'd like to share.
I've attached a small piece of clear tape to the tail end of my SD card (as shown) and applied "RED" to the tape for ease of inserting, ejecting and seeing.
It gives me a better handle on it, especially when I take it from the drone and play the SD card in a computer.
If it does fly away on ejection, it's easy to find................ahh......a simple solution!

CARD  A.jpgCARD  B.jpgCARD  C.jpg

a good idea its like having a visual marker on the gimbal cover to remind you to remove it before start up

If you only have one microSD card, and only fly a single battery, that may work, although the adhesive tape still could cause some problems and gum things up inside, when the card gets hot during reading and writing, either in a card reader or in the drone itself, and on hot days. It's not entirely without risk.

If you swap cards every time you swap batteries (which is highly recommended), you'll be doing this to lots of cards, which will also make them hard to store in a microSD card wallet, and leave a sticky residue behind on the card if you ever change your mind about doing this.

I have been doing this with my micro cards for several years on my Mini 1 and almost a year now on my Mini 3 Pro and controller. It's a great visual reminder and makes the card a lot easier to remove. Just push the card in to release and use the tape to help pull the card out.

It's also useful with my RC-N1, as that controller has a flap that hides the card. With the tape sticking out I know it's in there. Kamloops BC often gets 100 degree summer heat and it hasn't been a problem. I do replace the tape on cards if needed, some get beat up with a lot of usage.

The reminder that the card is in there and the ease of removal (and finding the card) make the tape addition very useful.

Reactions: SethB
I have use the idea for approx. 6 months now and I don't have any problems.
Talking about a sticky residue, I don't aapply the tape on the whole SD card, just the tail.
GadgetGuy, don't go overboard with your thinking, suggest you don't read anything into the tip, just take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No more fly away SD card with this simple solution, I'd like to share.
I've attached a small piece of clear tape to the tail end of my SD card (as shown) and applied "RED" to the tape for ease of inserting, ejecting and seeing.
It gives me a better handle on it, especially when I take it from the drone and play the SD card in a computer.
If it does fly away on ejection, it's easy to find................ahh......a simple solution!

View attachment 164452View attachment 164453View attachment 164454
This is not new- I saw this You Tube 5 years ago!
I tried it several time and abandoned it because the tape can gum up the compartment.

Dale
Miami

If I did that I'd use green tape. Why? because I use red tape on my gimbal cover to remind me to remove it and being a Bear of Very Little Brain I don't want to confuse myself by having one red tape needing removing and one needing to be present.

So red=not ready to fly, green=ready to fly.

If I did that I'd use green tape. Why? because I use red tape on my gimbal cover to remind me to remove it and being a Bear of Very Little Brain I don't want to confuse myself by having one red tape needing removing and one needing to be present.

So red=not ready to fly, green=ready to fly.
It is not easy to find green tape for me. I will just stick to the old ejection of the SD card over my desk.

Again, you're not putting tape on the entire card just the very 1/32 of an inch to the very end.
It won't gum things up at all....................jeeeeez!
The tape is NOT red, it was colored with a red felt marker on both sides, again..................jeeeez!
If you don't understand, I give up!!

Attachments

• SD  CARD  A.jpg
    SD CARD A.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 19
Seems like old man mavic & EyesWideShut are the only ones that understand.
So much for sharing tips.

It is not easy to find green tape for me. I will just stick to the old ejection of the SD card over my desk.
I don't have problems getting the card out. I do like the idea of an easy way to see if there's a card in the drone. Hence using a green ribbon because red means I've forgotten to take the gimbal cover off…

I'm thinking of supergluing a bit of fluorescent green ribbon to an old SD card and seeing how it works for me.

Seems like old man mavic & EyesWideShut are the only ones that understand.
So much for sharing tips.
No, I fully understand, and do appreciate your sharing your tip. I've launched a few microSD cards upon removal myself, and finding them was not easy. Clarifying exactly where you attach the tape to the card is an essential part of the tip, and reduces the gummy residue issue. As to my other concern, how do you securely store your multiple microSD cards, with the tape attached?

I only use one SD card for video and pics.
After flight, I download and save all to computer.
After all is saved, I format the card and ready for next flight.
One is all I need.

After thought TIP................FORGET THE SUGGESTED TIP!!

Tough crowd is right.....................JEEEEEEEZ!

I only use one SD card for video and pics.
After flight, I download and save all to computer.
After all is saved, I format the card and ready for next flight.
One is all I need.

After thought TIP................FORGET THE SUGGESTED TIP!!

Tough crowd is right.....................JEEEEEEEZ!
So you never fly more than one battery during an entire day, before returning home?

I have three batteries to use, which translates to 1.5 hours fly time.
One card will hold more then 1.5 hours of video or pics.
I very rarely use the third battery.
I don't use SD cards as a storage library like some do.

I have three batteries to use, which translates to 1.5 hours fly time.
One card will hold more then 1.5 hours of video or pics.
I very rarely use the third battery.
I don't use SD cards as a storage library like some do.
Well, that brings up my other point, which bears repeating. Unless you change cards every time you change batteries, you are unnecessarily risking the loss of all prior flight recordings when you send them off into national airspace, stored on the drone, which may not always be recoverable. "Cloud" storage is not the place for your prior drone recordings. It is bad enough to lose the drone and the current recording. However, unnecessarily losing any prior recordings, is inexcusable. If you care about your recordings, remove them from the drone, after every landing. If you don't, then what you do doesn’t matter anyway!

Last edited:
Your RC-N1 has a place for a micro card? '
oops, I meant the DJI RC. I have both controllers and you are right, only the DJI RC has the micro card, hidden behind the flap, unless you have used the taping tip.
And as @360 Guy does, I use a long length of clear Scotch tape. I first attach just the tip to the card and use a coloured Sharpie pen on half the length of the sticky side. Then fold the tape back in half and attach the end on the reverse side of the card. The Sharpie colouring is protected when the tape is doubled back and secured on both sides of the micro card.

oops, I meant the DJI RC. I have both controllers and you are right, only the DJI RC has the micro card, hidden behind the flap, unless you have used the taping tip.
And as @360 Guy does, I use a long length of clear Scotch tape. I first attach just the tip to the card and use a coloured Sharpie pen on half the length of the sticky side. Then fold the tape back in half and attach the end on the reverse side of the card. The Sharpie colouring is protected when the tape is doubled back and secured on both sides of the micro card.
Do you also only have only one microSD card? If you have multiples, how do you store them with the tape attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer