DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ideal flying time

johnnylang

Reactions
Who knows what DJI has got up it’s sleeve for the mavic 3 or whatever next, I’m sure it’ll be an awesome bit of kit...my question is what would you like to see out of the battery life/flying time??

For me, 30 minutes is perfect, anymore and I’d start to struggle with concentration, I can get what I need in 30 mins and if needs be, bring back home, swap the battery and back out!

What flying time are people wanting to see out the next mavic and why?

Yea I’m more than happy for 30min out of my Mavic. A long way from the 12mins we started with just a few years ago
The big improvement I’d love to see is swappable cameras
I think they will put 2-3 lenses with different focal lengths in one case and use one sensor, like on the smartphones with multiple lenses.

The tech is already there... they just have to fit it in the gimbal and Software :)

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
if i was in the market for a new drone then i agree ,30 minutes of usable flight time, which would be real world time not just under controlled conditions and the ability to have different interchangeable cameras for those who require them would be ok

I'm more at peace flying down to a %, rather than a time.
Flight times can vary depending on wind, and factors of flight, lots of ups and downs etc.

It's hard to pin down a specific time, 20% at landing seems good (safe margin and good battery management) to me in general.
In that case 40 mins flight time would be ok for ~ 30 mins and landing with that margin left.

Or just land and swap out batteries and go again :)

I'm more at peace flying down to a %, rather than a time.
Flight times can vary depending on wind, and factors of flight, lots of ups and downs etc.

It's hard to pin down a specific time, 20% at landing seems good (safe margin and good battery management) to me in general.
In that case 40 mins flight time would be ok for ~ 30 mins and landing with that margin left.

Or just land and swap out batteries and go again :)
thats the point is was trying to make 30 mins with a safety margin

I’d also like more power to lift a small chicken! ?

a better lens protector than whats on the mavic air..I hate that thing

Current flight time is perfect as you mentioned. Would like to see longer distance. It seems once you start exploring you want to go a little further.

I think they will put 2-3 lenses with different focal lengths in one case and use one sensor, like on the smartphones with multiple lenses.

The tech is already there... they just have to fit it in the gimbal and Software :)
What phone does that? I guess it’d be possible with some sort of motor/prism system, otherwise there’d have to be a way to move the lenses (or the sensor, I guess). Seems to create more failure points though.

I agree 30-35 min flight time would be great, and would provide a nice safety margin. More than that and I’d get concerned about heat.

Reactions: calmar81
Current flight time is perfect as you mentioned. Would like to see longer distance. It seems once you start exploring you want to go a little further.

That would always be nice, though normally this is attached to flight time, or it has to be gained through more speed.
Maybe bigger motors alone would do that, but sports mode on the bigger Mavics is now ~ 45mph / 70 kmh, so really getting up there.
Mavics sometimes have trouble keeping batteries in the aircraft enough in sports mode too, and the extra heat from higher draw wouldn't help (swelling).

Drones in even 5 years will be pretty remarkable, if we're allowed to fly still.

What phone does that? I guess it’d be possible with some sort of motor/prism system, otherwise there’d have to be a way to move the lenses (or the sensor, I guess). Seems to create more failure points though.

I agree 30-35 min flight time would be great, and would provide a nice safety margin. More than that and I’d get concerned about heat.
The iPhone 11 and 11 Pro does that: iPhone 11 Pro

It incorporates 3 Lenses with different focal lengths (wide angle, normal, tele) and uses just one sensor as far as I see in the technical data section. Or there are 3 sensors with the same specs?

I think we would be able to achieve much more without swapping the complete camera in a future drone of a Mavic size / quality. Of course, you couldn’t achieve the quality of Inspire or more expensive drone imagery. But it would be cheaper to produce, more suitable for the prosumer drones becoming smaller... and like you said, creates less points for failure / user error and more durable / longer lifetime.

So my guess is, we will see a multi-lens Camera in the Mavic 3... Not a swappable lens system

That would always be nice, though normally this is attached to flight time, or it has to be gained through more speed.
Maybe bigger motors alone would do that, but sports mode on the bigger Mavics is now ~ 45mph / 70 kmh, so really getting up there.
Mavics sometimes have trouble keeping batteries in the aircraft enough in sports mode too, and the extra heat from higher draw wouldn't help (swelling).

Drones in even 5 years will be pretty remarkable, if we're allowed to fly still.
The only issue is regulation. I believe it will only become more in the upcoming

Absolutely. The only issue I see with that is regulation. I believe its going to get more restrictive in the future.

The iPhone 11 and 11 Pro does that: iPhone 11 Pro

It incorporates 3 Lenses with different focal lengths (wide angle, normal, tele) and uses just one sensor as far as I see in the technical data section. Or there are 3 sensors with the same specs?

I think we would be able to achieve much more without swapping the complete camera in a future drone of a Mavic size / quality. Of course, you couldn’t achieve the quality of Inspire or more expensive drone imagery. But it would be cheaper to produce, more suitable for the prosumer drones becoming smaller... and like you said, creates less points for failure / user error and more durable / longer lifetime.

So my guess is, we will see a multi-lens Camera in the Mavic 3... Not a swappable lens system
The iPhone 11 Pro definitely uses 3 separate sensors for the main cameras. The web site list a separate 12 MP sensor for each (which can also be seen in various tear-downs), and it is capable of recording simultaneous video streams and photos from each camera.

Reactions: calmar81
I've been goofing around with the two drones, taking pictures with the mavic 2 zoom of the other drone. Kind of cool to see how close I can get, and to get that downward looking view.

Attachments

• DronePic1.jpg
    DronePic1.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 7
  • DronePic2.jpg
    DronePic2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DronePic4.jpg
    DronePic4.jpg
    836.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DronePic.jpg
    DronePic.jpg