DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Idiots that ruin it for the rest of us!!

Reactions: KRH
That is if you believe the report. I am sure the facts have been embellished to increase the shock value.
A documented fatality due to a drone incident will be required before I take any stock in reports like this. Bumps and bandaids do not qualify as a reason to call something Too dangerous to use around people.

That is if you believe the report. I am sure the facts have been embellished to increase the shock value.
A documented fatality due to a drone incident will be required before I take any stock in reports like this. Bumps and bandaids do not qualify as a reason to call something Too dangerous to use around people.
If they were following the rules the drone would not have been close enough to see or hear. Being close enough that it caused enough concern to cause a complaint demonstrates that. Why would you be flying close to a school in any case? Shouldn't have been anywhere near it. Basic common sense!

Reactions: EC57
One other point is that the parents sometimes feel that the drone is spying on their children. I read another article where one guy accused a drone pilot of being a pedophile

Reactions: Wersh and Simes
One other point is that the parents sometimes feel that the drone is spying on their children. I read another article where one guy accused a drone pilot of being a pedophile
Seems like a fair concern flying a drone over a playground while the kids are playing!

In that story did a drone get thrown into an ocean? :D

Reactions: shoemaker

I had this concern from a guy in the adjacent subdivision. He drove over to my house and started cussing at me about spying on his kids. I asked how I was spying and he said that I was flying in his backyard. He said he followed it to my yard.... I asked if it was that one, and I pointed to another drone his neighbor kid was flying. I ended up showing him what can and can’t be seen through the camera lens. He apologized and went right over to the kids house[emoji16]. I have an acre lot so I take off and land here mostly. I then fly over towards the Auto plants and RR tracks. Another person educated [emoji106]

Said police are looking into it. Local police now enforce federal avaition regulations?

Reactions: Wersh
Said police are looking into it. Local police now enforce federal avaition regulations?
We don't have federal aviation regulations.

From the CAA

Our enforcement strategy has recently changed to better reflect the balance of capabilities between the CAA and local Police services.

The Police often have greater resources, response times and powers of investigation than the CAA. To support this, the CAA has now agreed with the Police, in a signed Memorandum of Understanding that the Police will take the lead in dealing with drone misuse incidents, particularly at public events, that may contravene aviation safety legislation or other relevant criminal legislation.

This was in UK, but still. Bad Bad Bad. If is isn't illegal, I think it is unethical to photograph children without parents permission in the US. It is in violation of your FAA rules to fly over people and flying at 2' over their heads is just insane.

This was in UK, but still. Bad Bad Bad. If is isn't illegal, I think it is unethical to photograph children without parents permission in the US. It is in violation of your FAA rules to fly over people and flying at 2' over their heads is just insane.
In the UK this would be covered by article 241 - (Endangering safety of any person or property)

A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger
any person or property.

Could likely end in criminal prosecution.

The hobby is already ruined for those with time under their belts. The nanny updates, no fly zone implementation, previous registration requirements, restrictions in national parks etc. There was freedom in the early days. People we're excited to see the tech then. Now they're dialing 9,1,1 and threatening to shoot drones down.

Flyers Anonymous

Reactions: Aran and jwjonesjr
Arguably, that is baloney. LOS on a good day is quite far and drones aren't that quiet.
...what about the uk rules of staying 150 metres from crowds and 50 metres from people?? There was absolutely no excuse for this idiot.

Reactions: Mavic 57
...what about the uk rules of staying 150 metres from crowds and 50 metres from people?? There was absolutely no excuse for this idiot.
I am quoting you: "If they were following the rules the drone would not have been close enough to see or hear."

VLOS on a good day can go easily 10000 m. Unless it is exceptionally foggy, 50 m of VLOS is nothing. The sound of a drone travels even better.

What nonsense do you believe in.

I am quoting you: "If they were following the rules the drone would not have been close enough to see or hear."

VLOS on a good day can go easily 10000 m. Unless it is exceptionally foggy, 50 m of VLOS is nothing. The sound of a drone travels even better.

What nonsense do you believe in.

I think it’s perfectly clear. I can barely hear my drone when it’s 150 metres away, and that would be even more the case if there were children making the usual amount of noise in a school playground. I doubt many people would notice it unless they were looking for it. As the poster said, if he was following the rules, nobody would have been aware of the drone. I don’t think there’s any need for using the word ‘baloney’ and ‘nonsense’. Maybe a more adult and considered approach would contribute more to the debate, and better inform us.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes