DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you had to buy a new drone, what would it be?

Chirp

Reactions
What would your next favorite drone be other that the Mavic. Say up to $1200

Thanks!

Last edited:
Fifteen hundred is serious folding money, that could be a good start in a new hobby. I would have to think about it but you said it had to be a drone so I would have to think about that...

Reactions: Chirp
Fifteen hundred is serious folding money, that could be a good start in a new hobby. I would have to think about it

You're right. I changed it. I'm trying to compare to the Mavic with a little extra just in case...

You're right. I changed it. I'm trying to compare to the Mavic with a little extra just in case...
'cause you know, with a nest egg like that you could start drinking, smoking and gambling...possibilities are, well, staggering.

'cause you know, with a nest egg like that you could start drinking, smoking and gambling...possibilities are, well, staggering.

With the Mavic down to $699 and falling you could probably buy one and have enough left for one or two of those vices...

Reactions: Timster1973
With the Mavic down to $699 and falling you could probably buy one and have enough left for one or two of those vices...
Seriously, I am not familiar with much out there other than dji; what do you know?

Seriously, I am not familiar with much out there other than dji; what do you know?

I am not familiar either. I'm hoping someone who is will fill us in. I'm just curious as to what is out there.

Maybe someone will tell us about features that are not on the Mavic but are available on another quad.

So far it looks like there isn't really anything in the price range of $1200 or less that will compete with the Mavic Pro.

That's how I see it anyway...

Reactions: MBauduin
I'd probably build another 250 racer, sold my last one to get the Mavic and I really miss the high speed and responsiveness of it. I might even try out the DJI Racing Edition goggles too. -CF

Reactions: Chirp and Clinton1
I’d be tempted to try a Staaker for autonomous close-in self follow mode flying in winds up to 25 kts and subject tracking speeds at 15-25 mph with rapid direction changes including vertical Challenging environment for any drone. Be nice to have something more than just a GoPro recording

Attachments

• A468B291-1443-4632-B66F-9EA6BED6DC8C.jpeg
    A468B291-1443-4632-B66F-9EA6BED6DC8C.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 71
I would throw in an extra $100 and get an Inspire 1. You can get them with no camera for $1300. I can always throw a camera on there later. For $1700 you can get one ready to go with a camera.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
Looks a little blocky but that doesn't mean it doesn't do the job. As a light duty flying camera, I mean.

Why do you say it's not as good as the Mavic?

I was initially keen to get the Karma as I liked the modular approach since I wanted to use the GoPro5 and the stabiliser on my mountain bike, GoPro have a better reputation for customer service than DJI and initially in the UK the GoPro came with an two year warranty which included accidental damage. However when the first Karmas started dropping from the sky and were recalled, it killed all interest in it for me as that's a worrying indicator about a lack of testing. When they were finally released again in the UK and going against the now in stock Mavic, GoPro rather than improve the Karma offering actually worsened it by increasing the price and removing the accidental damage warranty.

All that aside, the Karma is quite a bit more basic than the Mavic as it lacks the avoidance sensors and range of clever automated flying modes, its batterylife is shorter and its range is smaller as well. Also it's far more bulky than the Mavic, if I take the Mavic on its own (with controller and spare batteries) then it can fit in a small backpack or in a bag the same size as the Karma and its controller needs I can take the Mavic, controller, extra battery, my full frame DSLR with one big lens and an extra lens which is easy to carry on walks.

When choosing a drone I also looked at Yuneec but while some of their drones received positive reviews from the press, they didn't seem to get great user reviews and they had nothing close to match the performance of the Mavic for that size.

If something happened to my Mavic and I had to replace it with another drone, it would be another Mavic. If it couldn't be a Mavic, it would probably be a Spark as it's extremely compact and while not as fancy as the Mavic, still seems highly capable.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
DJI seems to have the best battery life and flying range within that price bracket.

I don’t mind a cheaper one for a bit of play, didn’t mind the look of the GhostDrone 2.0
GhostDrone 2.0

Only $600 AUD.

Has anyone got one or had one and though it good value ?
I’m also asking because a few friends have asked about economical entry drones lately, and this looked ok.
Reasonable reviews.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deauxpamine