DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you think a drone is spying on you.

Hovering does make people nervous. However, there are legitimate reasons for such a hover. I often shoot spherical panoramas at low altitude, and it requires a full minute hovering in place to complete the process with the M2. Usually the primary subject is not directly below the drone, but may require hovering over a location nearby to get the best view for the spherical panorama subject.

Similarly, police helicopters do not fly directly over their target, but fly in a slow wide orbit around it, which often puts them at low altitude directly over houses on a hillside, for a subject completely on the other side of a nearby freeway, at a much lower elevation, over a high crime area. Annoying, but not much that can be done about it. We both have jobs to do, that occasionally cause annoyance to others that are not the subject.

I try to fly high enough to not attract attention while shooting the panoramas (M2 in a hover is virtually silent at 100 feet), but the yawing of the drone during the panorama should ease concerns about spying on a specific subject. I am also a target for rogue sharpshooters while hovering in place, so I fly away as quickly as possible after completing the process, and generally shoot panoramas at times of day when no one is around. Nude sunbathers are an automatic NFZ with a very wide perimeter! Show respect and follow the Golden Rule.

I know for a fact the person was not shooting a Panoramas as the drone the whole time was stationary and not turning like it would if it was doing a panorama shot. I under stand why police or news helicopters orbit so they do not become a still target, and also provides them a 360 around the point of interest. Oddly enough I guessing the person is relatively close by as yo have point out one would think the signal would degrade enough to cause problem when flying beyond VLOS and close to roof tops.

I know for a fact the person was not shooting a Panoramas as the drone the whole time was stationary and not turning like it would if it was doing a panorama shot. I under stand why police or news helicopters orbit so they do not become a still target, and also provides them a 360 around the point of interest. Oddly enough I guessing the person is relatively close by as yo have point out one would think the signal would degrade enough to cause problem when flying beyond VLOS and close to roof tops.
You'll find them eventually, if they continue the spying! Try and get to higher ground when you see them, like your rooftop, so you have an unobstructed view of the drone, and just wait until their battery requires them to return home and land, revealing their location. Guaranteed, no more than 25 minutes waiting time!

Just came across this not sure where a good place to post it would be. But I think some one is using a drone to spy my house from time to time I have caught it about 10 feet above my neighbors house just hovering, and each time I come out it takes off. I think someone is flying it when they are not in visual site of the drone. cause when it takes off after they see me it disappears out of sight, after making a few direction changes, so it is hard to tell where the operator is. This has happen on several occasions. the first few time it was a DJI Phantom series, and the last time it appears it may have been a Spark size drone. it Usually disappears before I have a chance to put my drone up and search for the operator. I could see this happening once or twice with someone learning how to operate the drone, but not 4 or 5 times. As an operator I do not fly out of visual site, and I do not hide my presents, I try to be out in the open so if anyone has questions about what I'm doing I can tell and show them, as I have nothing to hide.

Made that mistake and I was twice followed home by phantom 4 pros. I made peace with both as I was very new. I was just practicing flying and hadn't even taken pics. A couple weeks later I bought from one of them who didn't have the time to fly. So it was a happy ending.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu