DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you were me....

JRH

Reactions
Reasonbly experienced pilot, Yuneec Q500, but with brand new Mavic Pro!
1. Ready to upgrade on phone, currently (Currently LG g5) and not listed as supported.
2. Was planning on Samsung S7 (Indications that no longer supported)
3. I'm an Android guy, but could swallow real hard and get an iPhone which appears to be the DJI favorite.
4. Have a Nexus 7 tablet (2013) which appears to be supported
5. Have an older iPad mini that my wife uses (this would require buying her a new one)
So, what would you do, and no I can't get rid of my wife and keep her iPad mini? Seriously, I could use some sound advice!

If you want to stick with Android you should try with the N7. Best leave it with Android 6x until DJI has fixed the Issues with Nougat and Go4.

I don't think the Nexus 7 will go to latest Android versions which are problematic unless you somehow do it manually.
Provided nothing else much is running the Nexus 7 will work OK and is officially supported.
It is VERY tight in the arms but will fit with corners eased into slots (take slider thing out).

Thanks, Perhaps just buying a used iPhone is really the best idea. Don't need the telephone capability, just the WiFi, correct?

would highly consider the mini4 ipad, I have a lg g3 and it worked but the 8" ipad is so much nicer to fly and smoother, plus I don't have to worry about it randomly restarting or doing goofy stuff. ipad is great as I use it as a hotspot or internet anywhere I go, comes in super handy just not for the mavic!

I wouldn't use any device that's older than 2 years old. The S7 might be a good choice, mine still works although it has been taken off and put back on the compatibility list. You might be able to find a Galaxy S6 for not too much money. That has been put on the list and remained on the list.

buy the iPad mini or larger iPad. I bought the Nvidia K1 and used it a couple of times but wasn't as bright plus the DJI software seems to be working better with apples operating system.
I'm even thinking about going big screen iPad pro 12' model, I've come close to running into a bunch of birds once because they didn't show up on the smaller screen. If your hiking use your phone and hope for the best.
but I am a 56-year-old guy and don't do much hiking and have a modified Mav-mount for the larger tablets.

buy the iPad mini or larger iPad. I bought the Nvidia K1 and used it a couple of times but wasn't as bright plus the DJI software seems to be working better with apples operating system.
I'm even thinking about going big screen iPad pro 12' model, I've come close to running into a bunch of birds once because they didn't show up on the smaller screen. If your hiking use your phone and hope for the best.
but I am a 56-year-old guy and don't do much hiking and have a modified Mav-mount for the larger tablets.
I don't think you need a bigger ipad to see birds, Birds circle me a lot out here in South Dakota and I see them just fine, scary no doubt though. And a bigger screen means you can't use the transmitters mount, if you wanted to use it.

I've not yet flown mine. I have an old iPhone which has its own issues so I wouldn't dare use it to fly but I think it's too old to be supported anyway. I have an iPad which too has its issues so I won't dare fly with that either. I bought a refurbished ipad 4 mini from GameStop. 32gb, cellular, $289. With everything I've read about android devices I figured I wouldn't ever risk that either.

Nexus 7 2013 version ought to do it nicely, and like someone else said I'd leave it on or roll back to android 6.

Since I got my mavic I'm wishing I'd never sold my N7 as it seems the perfect size and seems to work well from what I've read. Don't (necessarily) be put off by the talk about iOS being more stable - for me, android has been absolutely fine however it is device dependant so the rumors are true but you might be lucky and have no issues on your particular android device.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini