DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IFR

22kane

Reactions
Any time I fly over 30m I tend to lose sight of my mini visually. I've been working flying my mini "Ifr", from the displays and scenes on my S8 phone in a known area. Is there anyway to bring up the orientation display to full screen? Can I assume the pointed tip of the triangle is the front of the drone? My 75YO eyes are not as good as they used to be. Any suggestion will greatly increase my ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome.
I have a total of 3 hours flight time with the mini. During my career in the Army, I racked up maybe 60 hours stick time as a crew chief on a Huey.
On a side note, has anybody taken a drone into a stall, and recovered?

Reactions: Gindra
... Any suggestion will greatly increase my ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome...

Don't do this. It's against the rules. Both Recreational and Commercial 107 in the US have to keep the drone in sight. (VLOS Visual Line of Sight)

BTW...67N here too...'88-93...72-21588 Always remember my bird.....

Any time I fly over 30m I tend to lose sight of my mini visually. I've been working flying my mini "Ifr", from the displays and scenes on my S8 phone in a known area. Is there anyway to bring up the orientation display to full screen? Can I assume the pointed tip of the triangle is the front of the drone? My 75YO eyes are not as good as they used to be. Any suggestion will greatly increase my ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome.
I have a total of 3 hours flight time with the mini. During my career in the Army, I racked up maybe 60 hours stick time as a crew chief on a Huey.

First off thank you for your service.

Gotta keep it in your Line Of Sight or you're busting the regs.

The MultiRotor doesn't technically stall thank goodness. The Flight Controller inside the aircraft does a very good job keeping you from doing things that could overstress the aircraft. Early models of the Phantom did have some issues with VRS (Vortex Ring State) but again the Flight Controller does a great job keeping us out of that scenario now.

Get a good quality strobe (or several!)for your Mini if you struggle to see it. There are some powerful and very small/light units available. Use the search function on the forum here to find lots of discussions about which ones are best.

Using a tablet with a bigger display can be useful. You need a special holder, there are a lots of them out there. Mine is below on the pics. Caution, not every tablet can run DJI Fly app.
Yes, the pointed tip of the triangle is the front of your drone.
There is no other chance then VLOS with MM. If you lose direct visibility you will very likely immediately lose the signal. You can play around with this but do not forget to set the right RTH height if RTH mode is set up. The direct way home goes always through the obstacle :cool:
stand1.jpgstand2.jpgstand1.jpgstand2.jpg

Reactions: Tomas H.
Easier to use the map IMO than the orientation display, as it shows both the location as well as the orientation and it shows where you are in relation to the drone. Just tap on the map in the bottom left and it'll get larger.

Reactions: ff22
Don't do this. It's against the rules. Both Recreational and Commercial 107 in the US have to keep the drone in sight. (VLOS Visual Line of Sight)

BTW...67N here too...'88-93...72-21588 Always remember my bird.....
Thanks, I didn't their was a reg. I guess I better start reading up on it. Glad to have met you, ever though it's in cyber space.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
And WELCOME to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome. I tried the map, but it more or less give me symbols rather then structures and foliage. But I'm going to work on using it though, never knew there was a rule on VLOS. I knew there was an altitude restriction, but not the VLOS.

First off thank you for your service.

Gotta keep it in your Line Of Sight or you're busting the regs.

The MultiRotor doesn't technically stall thank goodness. The Flight Controller inside the aircraft does a very good job keeping you from doing things that could overstress the aircraft. Early models of the Phantom did have some issues with VRS (Vortex Ring State) but again the Flight Controller does a great job keeping us out of that scenario now.
Thank you for your response. I flew it one day on the school grounds at low level (5') in sport mode, then at its maximum speed, had it climb to about 100", and as you said it won't overstress itself.

Using a tablet with a bigger display can be useful. You need a special holder, there are a lots of them out there. Mine is below on the pics. Caution, not every tablet can run DJI Fly app.
Yes, the pointed tip of the triangle is the front of your drone.
There is no other chance then VLOS with MM. If you lose direct visibility you will very likely immediately lose the signal. You can play around with this but do not forget to set the right RTH height if RTH mode is set up. The direct way home goes always through the obstacle :cool:
View attachment 108739View attachment 108740View attachment 108739View attachment 108740
I've been researching it, and still doing it. Just haven't made up mind yet. Not too much into photography or videos, just enjoy flying it.

Get a good quality strobe (or several!)for your Mini if you struggle to see it. There are some powerful and very small/light units available. Use the search function on the forum here to find lots of discussions about which ones are best.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.

Thanks, I didn't their was a reg. I guess I better start reading up on it. Glad to have met you, ever though it's in cyber space.

We all start somewhere! Check this out: FAA Recreational Rules

Give 'em a quick read......also, based on your location of "Huber Heights", much of the area is Controlled Airspace and you need permission from the FAA to fly in these areas.....be careful, especially close to Wright Patterson!

Dayton Controlled Airspace.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
You'll get better at keeping it in sight and much faster at recognizing the attitude...either that or you'll get slower with your control inputs allowing your brain to keep up. and nope...it won't stall, spin, loop, roll or fly inverted...but..it'll sure do a lot of other super fun things and still take pictures at the very same time. What a machine!

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman