DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Illegal to fly within 250 yards of road...

In my professional career I encountered many people who quoted "The Law" and tried to tell me what to do. Fortunately my degree course included a very good grounding in legal studies so even when I was dealing with something new to me I could always find my way around the statute, common, and case law to see whether I was indeed acting unlawfully. I nearly always found that the person telling me what the law is did not in fact know the first thing about the law and was merely a jumped-up little jobsworth. My principal aim in such cases was to use the most efficient method of preventing them from wasting my valuable time. I therefore developed a two stage procedure for dealing with these creatures which I have adapted into a plan for what to do if I ever encounter the problem described by Albion Drones (it hasn't happened yet but I expect it will).

Step 1 - Hand them a printed card stating:
(1) I am a CAA registered Operator and Flyer and I am conducting my operations lawfully under the Air Navigation Order 2016 ("ANO"), the CAA Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace Guidance (CAP 722), and the BMFA Article 16 Authorisation
(2) By distracting the pilot of a UAS they are committing an offence under ANO articles 240 (Endangering safety of an aircraft) and 241 (endangering safety of persons and property)
(3) I will address their complaint after I have landed my UAS and made it safe
(4) if they distract me again during the remainder of the flight I will immediately call the police and make a complaint.
After handing over the card, I will ignore them completely. This is crucial. I will not acknowledge their existence upon this planet. I will not speak to them or even look at them.

Step 2 - After landing and putting the drone in its case, I will hand them exactly what @lensimages described: a copy of the drone code. I will not say anything or answer them whatever they say. I will just leave. By the way, there is absolutely no legal obligation in the UK to provide my name, address, Operator ID or Flyer ID to such a person in such circumstances.

This will achieve the following:
1. I will have a clear record of my response to them - my copies of the two things I have given them.
2. I will have said nothing so I cannot be accused of having said anything. There is no risk that anything might be misunderstood or used against me. The right to remain silent is absolute, and a surprisingly powerful defensive tactic.
3. The jobsworth will be wound up beyond belief and their worthless day will be totally ruined. There is nothing that angers and frustrates an interfering busybody more than being 100% ignored. From a psychological point of view their interference makes them feel important and being ignored pricks that self-important bubble. It makes them feel insignificant, which they hate.

Why would I do the above and not explain myself and try to satisfy the jobsworth with my explanation? Because in 99.9% of cases it's impossible. The sort of person who challenges someone engaged in a lawful activity and invents non-existent law to use as a verbal weapon isn't going to be satisfied with anything less than a grovelling capitulation. It's all about psychology really. And actually knowing the law and flying within the limitations it imposes.
This guy is right , As pilots pro or recs we should be confident in our knowledge as to where we fly ,if we’re within the rules and regulations of the country we’re flying in this will make us safer and calmer when confronted by those without knowledge of Air Law ,The printed card is best idea then they can check it for themselves there and then while you get on with the task at hand

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78