DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Im a new drone owner/pilot living on the island of Guam (US territory)

Ezay671

Reactions
I am new to this so i dont have a clue what im doing. I would be very grateful for any advice and instruction on what i need to do to fly legally and safely. Thank you in advance!!!

i guess im referring more to FAA regs and the like. i didnt see much about that in the manual, other than registering my UAV.

There are lots of great articles and videos on this. Just try googling safe legal drone flying and go from there.

I'm pretty up to speed on the new rules and regs if you have any questions.

It is US law. It has an FAA control tower at the airport and US aviation rules. The regs also says you have to register your drone if you will fly in any US territory (including Guam). The airport is Class D and it's airspace extends about 5 miles from its center. You would need permission to operate inside that area. Unfortunately that covers all of Tumon.

If you go to skyvector.com you can search for Guam and you can select the "Marianas Islands Inset" chart. Find the selection tabs at the top of the map. This will show the local aviation sectional chart. It is daunting for non-pilots, but just pay attention to the blue dashed circular line around the airport and the smaller gray circle around Anderson. You are not supposed to fly at all within those without permission. Also, hivemapper.com does provide some areas that seem to be restricted areas, like Navy properties, the prison, and several other areas. You are not supposed to fly in National Wildlife Refuges. As far as I know the only one is up around Ritidian Point. There are some US National Parks. Currently you may not takeoff, land or operate a drone while in the park. So you have to go to the National Park Service website, find the Guam map, zoom all the way in and find the real park boundaries. As far as I know you can be outside the park and fly the drone over the park and be legal.

Last edited:
Lived there for a few months, beautiful place, but awful lot of snakes.

I forgot to mention using the FAA's B4UFly app on your phone. It's the only app I have seen with all the restricted areas depicted on a map. There's quite a few areas restricted. AirMap is pretty good too. There is also a lot of nice areas not restricted. Most of Yona, Talofofo, Inarajan and Merizo not restricted. Sella Bay area is good. Up in Yigo is mostly restricted. And you could fly in Tumon or around Two Lovers Point, but you are supposed to get permission from the airport control tower first.

Last edited:
your screwed. talk to the faa, quartermaster, grounds keeper, staff sargent. as high a rank as you can get. the tower supervisor. then his boss.
maybe someone will answer a question with a usable answer.
but then guam is its own country, maybe some " other law apply's that could help?

Made a little research to prepare my own trip and turns out the North of the island is quite a crowded space.
Guam follows the same rules as the US indeed but you will need to apply locally if you wish to fly over national parks.

Here's a snapshot from Airmap.

I've detailed my findings here in case useful, have a great time there!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS