DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm afraid to try it...

As your flying, over the trees, keep an eye on the number of bars on your signal indicator at the top of the screen. If you see them going down, simply pull back or raise your drone higher. That should quell your fears at bit. Best of luck !!

Reactions: conchman
This is probably an absurd question but one I'm going to ask anyway. Please cut me some slack because I'm a newbie.

I'm learning to fly the M2P at a local park and beside the park is a river lined by quite large gum trees. I would love to venture over the trees and get a shot of the river and the island but I'm too nervous to try it. I'm afraid that with limited line of sight (even though I'd be well within 500m) the thing might just say, "bugger you, I'm off!"

So the question is, is it likely that with trees separating me from the aircraft, I would remain in control or would that be a foolish thing to do?

Thanks in advance.

My advice is you should treat trees with the utmost respect.
I unboxed my M2Z on Thursday morning, authenticated it at 10:00 am and had a catastrophic collision with a tree at 13:33 hrs at a height of 22.3 m. The poor thing is now packed up and ready to be sent to DJI for repairs.......broken rear rotor arm, etc, etc.
If a tree looks 15-20 m high to you, add at least another 10 m to your altitude to make sure you clear that one spindly branch at the top that so many gum trees have.

Reactions: noosaguy
I've seen a video from England where a chap had his audio file changed to say something negative about DJI instead of the factory taking off audio comment.

I would love to have mine say "Bugger you, I'm off" every time it launches. :)
Yes, I want mine to say “Bugger you, I’m off” as well. It would put a huge smile on my face every time!

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
One thing to always remember when flying DJI products and believe me this is not just important, but EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, after you get connected to the Drone be **** sure you check the Loss of Signal response, or what the drone will do if it looses signal. Be sure to set the unit to Return to HOME, set the height you want it to return at which is also very important, you must set the height so that it goes higher than anything around you, normally 100 feet is good, but you may want it to return at a higher height depending on surrounding buidlings and vegetation. Don't forget that the drone can do two other things when it comes to RTH, it can HOVER or Land Immediately. Always check this before every flight to be safe.
I made the mistake of not checking the RTH Height and when I lost reception with my P3S it decided to LAND immediately and it did just that, right into 100 foot depth of water. Lesson learned the hard way. It was my own fault so nobody to blame but yours truly.

My spark stops connecting on return close this time at 138ft
did this 2-3x different days and updates
Full_Speed_Spark.PNG

Last edited:
I was scared first time also experiment with rth feature. For me I always calibrate the compass just for reassurance. You most likely loose sight, if in doubt rth. In New England I find 180 ft will clear terrains and trees comfortably with20 25 meters to spare. Take your time learn in a field. I still get sweaty palms and heart palpitations. This is my baby and I watch utubes to learn what to do and not to do. Woods up here are very thick watch your signal strength and battery 3 notches signals disappear quick. Have fun[emoji29]

I have P2 P4 and Mavic, I have had 2 occasions to do self inflicted RTH, on both occasions the Drone returned within centimetres of take off point, I know because I take of from a board with a large white cross painted on it, and it landed in the centre of the cross both times. I have to say I was panicking both times as there were tall trees on the way home but I had RTH set to 60 metres way above the trees. Drone did exactly what it was supposed to do. I suggest to get out on a field somewhere with no obstructions and fly drone and turn off controller or hit RTH and test it so you can have confidence and faith in the drone.

You will know when your ready to try it and if you should. If you take small steps you will know what you and the drone can handle. you don’t need anyone to tell you when and if you do then your not ready yet.

Rob

Thanks for the post! I just purchased a MP2, and have only had it in the air twice, both times on beginner mode. I'm 58, never flown one of these things, and have to admit right now it scares the crap out of me! Luckily, I live on the marsh and have a wide open space in my backyard to fly in. I'm sure with a lot more practice it will be less and less intimidating.
Good luck!

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
You shouldn't have an issue with just a few trees. Keep the altitude a little high and keep an eye on the signal strength between the aircraft and the remote. In any case, you will get a warning first, that you are losing signal strength, and RTH should save you in case of disconnection. Try approximations, go a little further every flight, to gain confidence.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Same situation here. I flew collective nitro r/c helis for many years..always within good eye sight. I find the Mavic super simple to fly..nearly brainless compared to a single axis gyro heli. With that being said I'm still terrified to take it upstairs..and always convince myself those aren't the pix I really want anyway. This weekend Im going to take a VO with me and put a black cloth over my head and let her rip..whats the worst thing that can happen. I have DJI insurance and coverage thru my homeowners with zero deductible. I will still be nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I wonder how old is the blogger? Why people worried so much? :S
I'm the OP and I'm 73. I'm pretty much over the 'worries' now because i am far more familiar with it. The M2P is AUD $2,400 in Australia so it's not something you want to break or lose.

Reactions: ff22
Fun and informative to see all the chats. My M2P is a week old (I had a Phantom 4 for 2 years before that) and I'd like to know if in POI mode, it's possible to get the radius to less than 16 feet?

I'm the OP and I'm 73. I'm pretty much over the 'worries' now because i am far more familiar with it. The M2P is AUD $2,400 in Australia so it's not something you want to break or lose.
Have you done it yet? Pics?

Reactions: noosaguy
I found the 'Home Lock' feature really useful the first time I made a big 'away' flight. Home Lock makes it possible for you to use the right-hand stick in a mode where you push it forward and the drone goes away from you, and pull it back and the drone comes back to you - no matter what way the Mavic is pointing! This allows you to to do all the up & down and yaw that you want to do, but takes out that need to get the drone pointed exactly back at you to bring it home. That first time you let your Mavic go to 120 metres and half a km away, can be pretty nerve wracking - but once done, you'll be doing it all the time!

Reactions: ff22 and noosaguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR