DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm afraid to try it...

noosaguy

Reactions
This is probably an absurd question but one I'm going to ask anyway. Please cut me some slack because I'm a newbie.

I'm learning to fly the M2P at a local park and beside the park is a river lined by quite large gum trees. I would love to venture over the trees and get a shot of the river and the island but I'm too nervous to try it. I'm afraid that with limited line of sight (even though I'd be well within 500m) the thing might just say, "bugger you, I'm off!"

So the question is, is it likely that with trees separating me from the aircraft, I would remain in control or would that be a foolish thing to do?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Just get some altitude and go for it.
You don't want to let the trees get between you and drone until you get some *****! LOL

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
I get good penetration through trees. Just set your return to home altitude to much higher than the trees. Mine is set to 50 meters. So if you do loose connection it'll not crash into the trees. To be honest the M2P series of drones is very hard to kill / crash. I'm not going to say I fly out of line of sight often but when trees get in between me and the drone I get a low signal warning and then rise up about 5 meters to get it back. Just keep an eye on the signal level. Drone will give you plenty of warning.

So the question is, is it likely that with trees separating me from the aircraft, I would remain in control or would that be a foolish thing to do?
Possibly .. a few twigs and leaves will have no effect but add more branches and you get more affect.
There's no way anyone can tell from their computer.
If you were to lose signal, you would definitely want to ensure your RTH is set sufficiently high to clear any possible obstacles on the RTH path.
I'm learning to fly the M2P at a local park and beside the park is a river lined by quite large gum trees. I would love to venture over the trees and get a shot of the river and the island but I'm too nervous to try it. I'm afraid that with limited line of sight (even though I'd be well within 500m) the thing might just say, "bugger you, I'm off!"
The Mavic isn't going to just say, "bugger you, I'm off! That's not how they work.
Take your hands off the sticks and they just hover.
Lose signal and they just hover ... for 3 seconds and then enter RTH.

Don't be in a rush to do things you aren't comfortable with.
Take your time and gain experience, learning how the drone will behave and how to control it so it does what you want.

Seriously guys thank's for the constructive answers. This is the first remote control device I've ever used and in AUD we're talking $2,300 for a new M2P. Gulp!
The suggestion, "take baby steps." makes sense.

Last edited:
Seriously guys thank's for the constructive answers. This is the first remote control device I've ever used and in AUD we're talking $2,300 for a new M2P. Gulp!
The suggestion, "take baby steps." makes sense.

Mate I am with you on this... My first drone at 55 ! Never flown before avoided computer games due to my lack of co-ordination :)

As they say take your time, choose an open place with no obstacles and get comfortable with the controls, how things work etc. You have plenty of battery time with the M2P (unlike my Air) so you can experiment as much as you like to get the feel for it. Don't be too far away when the battery is getting low.

I assume you are using a phone and the DJI app ? If so, get used to all the features... Things like swiping with one finger gets rid of all the stuff on the screen so you have a better view of your flying. Watch some videos on setting up your drone and then trial and error to make it just right.

Good luck and happy flying :)

Mate I am with you on this... My first drone at 55 ! Never flown before avoided computer games due to my lack of co-ordination :)

As they say take your time, choose an open place with no obstacles and get comfortable with the controls, how things work etc. You have plenty of battery time with the M2P (unlike my Air) so you can experiment as much as you like to get the feel for it. Don't be too far away when the battery is getting low.

I assume you are using a phone and the DJI app ? If so, get used to all the features... Things like swiping with one finger gets rid of all the stuff on the screen so you have a better view of your flying. Watch some videos on setting up your drone and then trial and error to make it just right.

Good luck and happy flying :)
Thanks Shaughan. You're a spring chicken compared with me and I hear what you and the others are saying about early caution. I get my 'Fly More' kit tomorrow so I'll have 3 batteries to practice with.

No worries OP, I was scared too! I got my zoom and had a week of rain, and once the weather cleared I was also scared to fly it... but finally got over the fear and this thing is so much FUN to fly!!
Enjoy your new mavic 2!!

Reactions: WAXMAN and noosaguy
Hey I'm an old fart too,I started on a spark then a mav1 then mav2.I was so scared when I started & never let the beastie go anywhere but now I know to trust the technology after I check all my ducks are in a row.My mav2 knows more about flying than I ever will

Reactions: WAXMAN and noosaguy
Ok. It is now time to sit and watch about 15 hours of YouTube. And if possible buy the spark and learn how to fly. We have all suffered massive Adrienne rushes and that is part of it. At the beginning RTH is your go to button. I genaraly fly every day over water about 2000 meters out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sedmonds