DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Im beginning to think DJI Smart Controllers are non existent

They are unobtainable in the UK been waiting on order since 19th June, jessops, everywhere else no stock as well.
I thought it might be to do with the US trade embargo on China relating to microprocessor and electronic components being sent there that could be used for military use , “ drone components” maybe?.?

Im guessing the tariffs didn't help. It seems as though I have located one though. 100 bucks more than original but thats how it goes. You could probably get one in the states..(it seems they are coming out of the woodwork after my post)..but Im sure the post charge would be pretty steep to your home not counting VAT.

Hi all, I have a smart controller and to be true i am not impressed.
The only feature i like is the display...
I am not impressed with the limited file transfer options.
I am a little sorry i bought one..
I use my Samsung Note 8 at the moment and, well it works fine..

I’ve got one and I have to say - range is clearly better with the standard stock controller. Yes it’s nice to have the all in one solution but, and this is a big but - the android OS and apps are all so laggy on the smart controller it’s almost unusable. If I click the screen, I can count to 3 before what I clicked even appears on the screen. The iOS app is so much smoother. This drives me absolutely crazy. I’m not sure why people love them so much. They are laggy and the range is limited..... I find myself using the stock controller and my phone more than the smart controller. I wouldn’t buy it again. Speaking of wouldn’t buy again - the DJI RE Goggles are also terrible with the zoom. Between these 2 terrible products, I don’t know which is worse, or why DJI doesn’t seem to care when they release duds..... maybe they will get it right with the next pair of goggles or next version of smart controller.

I decided I wanted one about a month ago but as you said trying to find one was next to impossible. I’m not trying to sound like a jerk here, but I really wanted it so I ended up just buying another Mavic 2 pro with smart controller. I’m very fortunate to have the ability to do that. I really wanted it for the DSAR Training so I could see how well it would work. Now class will be in September but so far it’s fantastic and I do have another Mavic 2 pro if something happens to my first. That’s just one example of some of the things people will do if they want something bad enough

Reactions: DDS
Smalls..I considered doing the same. Looking forward to having my own SC..I have used a friends several times with no issues.

I’ve got one and I have to say - range is clearly better with the standard stock controller. Yes it’s nice to have the all in one solution but, and this is a big but - the android OS and apps are all so laggy on the smart controller it’s almost unusable. If I click the screen, I can count to 3 before what I clicked even appears on the screen.
Not sure if you are talking about the DJI app or additional apps, but I have not experienced any lag with the DJI GO 4 app on my SC.

Reactions: DavidNDC
I’ve got one and I have to say - range is clearly better with the standard stock controller. Yes it’s nice to have the all in one solution but, and this is a big but - the android OS and apps are all so laggy on the smart controller it’s almost unusable. If I click the screen, I can count to 3 before what I clicked even appears on the screen. The iOS app is so much smoother. This drives me absolutely crazy. I’m not sure why people love them so much. They are laggy and the range is limited..... I find myself using the stock controller and my phone more than the smart controller. I wouldn’t buy it again.

Interesting, mine is as fast if not faster than my iPad Air 2 or iPhone 7+ that I was using previously. I suspect yours is having an issue, have you tried to do a factory reset?

As for the range, I fly VLOS so it's a non-issue for me.

Last edited:
Wasn’t happy about the range issue myself.
Not sure if it’s really a range problem or if it’s just a bit more finicky on pointing the antennas in the correct way.

Im not sure where to start on this rant. I have been looking for a smart controller for a few weeks now and have tried to purchase unsuccessfully 4 different times.

Nobody has had stock in Europe for at least 5 weeks that i can find and nobody knows when there'll be any more stock when asked.

Im bored of not being able to see where im flying or photographing due to the sun and really really want one!

Reactions: Johnthemann
Yeah kits are easy to find...the smart controller not so much. I went the eBay route and ended up dealing with some dropshipping schmuck who was very shady. Thank God for paypal. Won't do that again. Good news is my new SC has been delivered!!!

You could buy a mavic 2 bundled with a SC then sell the Mavic. The bundled price of the SC is $400.00. You could sell the new Bird at a discount to recover your money. Unless the wife allows you to keep the mavic :)

Got a notice from DJI since I had a "notify when available" and placed the order July 12th, it still shows "processing" even tho they have charged my credit card. I guess the little "will ship 3-5 days after payment"
doesn't apply. I;m going to wait till the end of the week and cancel.

Checked mine with jessops, still processing.
Emailed dji and asked if there was a problem getting orders out or deliveries to the uk, they replied thank you for your patience and loyalty in choosing our products, we cannot give timescales of deliveries to third parties .
Well that was informative I must say!
It appears to be unobtainable anywhere in Europe.

Checked mine with jessops, still processing.
Emailed dji and asked if there was a problem getting orders out or deliveries to the uk, they replied thank you for your patience and loyalty in choosing our products, we cannot give timescales of deliveries to third parties .
Well that was informative I must say!
It appears to be unobtainable anywhere in Europe.
so, that does not show in stock from your side?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661