DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm in Tucson where to fly?

I just flew over Saguaro National Park West. I launched outside the park and videoed some amazing cacti and terrain inside the park a good ways. I use a strobe, so seeing my drone in the daylight is much easier. I can lose sight of it quickly by looking down at my iPad at much distance without the strobe attached.

Reactions: JMagnus
I just flew over Saguaro National Park West. I launched outside the park...
Launching outside the park and flying over it is fine, but keep in mind that you could get in trouble if it lands in the park (accident, malfunction, etc).

North end of Campbell Ave. parking area on left side of road. Fly from that spot. As close to the mountain as you can get.

Be wary, that area is considered to be part of the Pusch Ridge Wilderness area.

772226a8883bb034a5d353fc7db5b936.jpg

Code:
 UAS are considered to be "mechanized” equipment and cannot take off and land in designated Wilderness Areas on National Forest System lands.

Code:
 Wilderness Areas – PROHIBITED. Congressionally-designated wilderness areas prohibit motorized vehicles. Unfortunately, drones are considered “motorized vehicles”. ... The point was to give people areas where they can enjoy the solitude of wilderness.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3845678.pdf

Last edited:
some don't miss while you are there flying... there are two different Saguaro parks... one you have to pay to get into ( worth it ) and the other one out by the Desert Museum... both are super nice to fly at... there is a pass that you will also want to fly at.. it too is close to the Desert Museum... its called Gates Pass... to get there you want to take I-10 to W Speedway Blvd and go west... it will turn into West Gates Pass rd.... there is a park just at the top of the pass... and then on the other side of the pass (going west) is another pull out and you can fly that mountain... then still going west turn towards the Desert Museum and go past it and you will come upon the Saguaro Park... that pretty much does your day... then the next day go to the other Saguaro Park on the east side of town... you could spend the whole day in there so bring water or snacks.. its worth the trip if the weather is good...

Make sure you get permission first, otherwise you’ll get reported to the FAA.

Code:
 Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of Saguaro National Park is prohibited except as approved in writing by the Superintendent.

Laws & Policies - Saguaro National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Launching outside the park and flying over it is fine, but keep in mind that you could get in trouble if it lands in the park (accident, malfunction, etc).

I don’t think that is correct, “operating” means flying, so it’s not allowed.

some don't miss while you are there flying... there are two different Saguaro parks... one you have to pay to get into ( worth it ) and the other one out by the Desert Museum... both are super nice to fly at... there is a pass that you will also want to fly at.. it too is close to the Desert Museum... its called Gates Pass... to get there you want to take I-10 to W Speedway Blvd and go west... it will turn into West Gates Pass rd.... there is a park just at the top of the pass... and then on the other side of the pass (going west) is another pull out and you can fly that mountain... then still going west turn towards the Desert Museum and go past it and you will come upon the Saguaro Park... that pretty much does your day... and don't forget to go to the Desert Museum while there too... don't think they will let you fly there though... then the next day go to the other Saguaro Park on the east side of town... you could spend the whole day in there so bring water or snacks.. its worth the trip if the weather is good... while you are there you need to stop by at the
Silver Saddle Steak House on I-10 ... it doesn't look like much but the steak is fantastic... wood cooked right in front of you... and the prices are good too...
Excellent! Thank you!

Yes that's great
Be wary, that area is considered to be part of the Pusch Ridge Wilderness area.

772226a8883bb034a5d353fc7db5b936.jpg

Code:
 UAS are considered to be "mechanized” equipment and cannot take off and land in designated Wilderness Areas on National Forest System lands.

Code:
 Wilderness Areas – PROHIBITED. Congressionally-designated wilderness areas prohibit motorized vehicles. Unfortunately, drones are considered “motorized vehicles”. ... The point was to give people areas where they can enjoy the solitude of wilderness.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3845678.pdf
Yes that's great advice. I'll be sure to check Air Map before launching.

Yes that's great

Yes that's great advice. I'll be sure to check Air Map before launching.

Wilderness areas and many National Parks don’t appear on the DJI air maps for whatever reason, although they don’t usually allow flying there without permission, cheers!

If you like history and architecture I’d recommend checking out Mission San Xavier del Bac.

Mission San Xavier del Bac is a historic Spanish Catholic mission located about 10 miles south of downtown Tucson, Arizona, on the Tohono O'odham Nation San Xavier Indian Reservation.

Mission San Xavier del Bac
1950 W San Xavier Rd, Tucson, AZ 85746
(520) 294-2624
Google Maps
I'm thinking of going down there to check it out either way, but is it allowed to fly there and take pics from above?

some don't miss while you are there flying... there are two different Saguaro parks... one you have to pay to get into ( worth it ) and the other one out by the Desert Museum... both are super nice to fly at... there is a pass that you will also want to fly at.. it too is close to the Desert Museum... its called Gates Pass... to get there you want to take I-10 to W Speedway Blvd and go west... it will turn into West Gates Pass rd.... there is a park just at the top of the pass... and then on the other side of the pass (going west) is another pull out and you can fly that mountain... then still going west turn towards the Desert Museum and go past it and you will come upon the Saguaro Park... that pretty much does your day... and don't forget to go to the Desert Museum while there too... don't think they will let you fly there though... then the next day go to the other Saguaro Park on the east side of town... you could spend the whole day in there so bring water or snacks.. its worth the trip if the weather is good... while you are there you need to stop by at the
Silver Saddle Steak House on I-10 ... it doesn't look like much but the steak is fantastic... wood cooked right in front of you... and the prices are good too...
Every place you mentioned is in a National Park. It is illegal to fly there.

I've flown over Saguaro many times. On both east and west sides of it, you can park and launch from outside the park and fly into the park. Totally legal to do that. There are public roads adjacent to the park to pull over and fly.

Visit DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Type in Tucson AZ in the search box and it will provide you a graphic representation of the area's restrictions.
Thank you for the information. May you be blessed with hours of enjoyable, problem free flight??. Here's a couple of parachutes, just in case.

Thank you!
End of 36 St. Past LaCholla. You can park at the end of the street and fly and shoot the mountain scenery.

Saguaro Park is a National Park and a no-fly zone. Unless you take off and land from outside the park. On the east side , you can do this from the Broadway Trailhead (follow Broadway east until it ends)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter