DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm joining thee Mavic Pro Party - some questionspgrades.re.l

The Camera Guy

Reactions
hi everyone, I'm joking the Mavic Pro users. I ordered my Mavic last night and I should see it early next week. I'm trying to read and watch everything I can between now and then.

A little background. My first Quadcopter was in 2012 and it was a DIY. About the same time, DJI released the Phantom 1. So I bought one, sold the DIY. I had some fun with the original phantom, eventually adding a Gimbal. I lost the 1st one when it lost control, and planted itself in the lake. Bought another, did the upgrades again, but lost confidence in it. So I sold it and since 2015 I have had great success with a 3DR Solo. Lots of flights. I did have a technical issue last fall, and 3DR owned up to it and sent me a new refurbished unit.

Something last night had me buy a Mavic Pro. Here are my initial questions:

1. The description of the contents of the box doesn't say there is a battery included. Is there a battery in the box?

2. Product description seems to say it will fly 7km. Is that for real? Do you get video on your iPhone 7 Plus for the entire 7km?

3. I've read on this forum the 600 series of firmware will take it's distance and height to what ever your country's regulations are. Seems to me it takes all the benefits of the Mavic and reduce it to a Spark? Should I not upgrade when I receive it. What happens then

4. Any mandatory upgrades I need to do? There was a GPS upgrade most of us did on the Solo

5. What's the field of view look like from the camera?

Well, that's the start of it. Any and all help would be appreciated. I was an active participant on the other forums, and will be on this one, and I typically like a good response.

I look forward to reading your answers if I get some. :)

TCG

Congrats on the new Mavic.

1. The description of the contents of the box doesn't say there is a battery included. Is there a battery in the box?

It comes with one battery unless you bought the flymore package which comes with 3.

2. Product description seems to say it will fly 7km. Is that for real? Do you get video on your iPhone 7 Plus for the entire 7km?

Thats the max range with optimal conditions but is usually less due to environmental variables. Check out the distance leaderboard thread and youll see people able to achieve that on stock unmodded setups.

3. I've read on this forum the 600 series of firmware will take it's distance and height to what ever your country's regulations are. Seems to me it takes all the benefits of the Mavic and reduce it to a Spark? Should I not upgrade when I receive it. What happens then

I'm on .600 and have nothing out of the ordinary restriction wise.

4. Any mandatory upgrades I need to do? There was a GPS upgrade most of us did on the Solo

No hacks necessary on the Mavic are needed like on the Solo.

FOV is narrower than Gopros or Phantoms. There are pluses and minus to it. Plus side is you dont need to be as close to something for framing a shot and there is no fisheye affect at any resolution. Minus is you lose a little peripheral view if you are trying to fly real close through something or just prefer a wide angle view.

Reactions: The Camera Guy
Congrats on the new Mavic.

It comes with one battery unless you bought the flymore package which comes with 3.

Thats the max range with optimal conditions but is usually less due to environmental variables. Check out the distance leaderboard thread and youll see people able to achieve that on stock unmodded setups.

I'm on .600 and have nothing out of the ordinary restriction wise.

No hacks necessary on the Mavic are needed like on the Solo.

FOV is narrower than Gopros or Phantoms. There are pluses and minus to it. Plus side is you dont need to be as close to something for framing a shot and there is no fisheye affect at any resolution. Minus is you lose a little peripheral view if you are trying to fly real close through something or just prefer a wide angle view.
That's great. Thank you

As it turned out I didn't buy the Mavic.

The reason is the regulations and penalties in Canada. Basically, you have to fly only out in the country, and make sure there are no landing strips or helipads around, as you won't be allowed to fly even then.

Basically, I think the hobby is being regulated to it's death. The manufacturers don't want to be sued for some moron flying at 4,000 feet in a flight path, so they are altering the drones parameters.

Our local RC store has pulled all but the small indoor quads from their inventory. When I ask, he said the business has dried up due to the regs.

With that in mind, I backed out. I'm most likely to fire sale my Solo, and the Breeze has more issues than a Phantom 1.

I'll continue to read here, lots of interesting material.

Thanks for the help. I appreciated it very much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mblackes