DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm Pissed off, but do I have a right to be?

I'm pissed because I see the Mavic Air introduction as classic market manipulation by DJI, and they're pointing the manipulation straight at Mavic owners. Again, this is all my humble opinion, but DJI intentionally made the Air so close in specs and features to the Mavic Pro so Mavic Pro owners will sell their Mavics and purchase the new Air. And if someone is in the market for a new drone, the Air is the logical choice. So DJI captures both the current Mavic Pro owner market AND the new buyer market.

Then, once everyone jumps ship to the Air, I'm sure DJI will strategically introduce the Mavic Pro II or Mavic Air Pro (or whatever they decide to call it) so folks who have a six-month old Air will be tempted to buy the Mavic Pro II.

I realize DJI is in business to make money and all that blah, blah blah. But I feel like DJI has just kicked me and other Mavic Pro owners in the balls (or crotch).

Please understand these are my simple thoughts and observations. Please don't hate on me!

Your thoughts.
To answer the question posed in your title: No. You do not have the right. You are buying cutting edge technology. It would not be awesome if it was not outdated by the time it hit the consumer market. What they (DJI) are playing with NOW is years ahead of what we are all clamoring for this week.
And for your own edification, balls and crotch are two separate entities....Everyone (male and female, and pretty much all species), have a crotch. Anyone or any gender can have balls - or the lack thereof (despite the physical presence -- or lack thereof-- of testicles.) Balls are not necessarily located in the crotch, but are more of a presence of mind -- and are certainly not unique to males.
The right to claim "balls" is earned, not inherited by some freak lack of a chromosome.

100% correct.

But,...The Air is also a 40Mbp/s step UP from the Mavic Pro!

CT ;-)
And the footage from the Slow-Mo is awesome! (Yes, I have shot my own footage, and am not relying on somebody else to grant me a brain!)

And the footage from the Slow-Mo is awesome! (Yes, I have shot my own footage, and am not relying on somebody else to grant me a brain!)

Yay! Thank you and I totally agree. I shot some slow-mo today too. Way cool! Look out Dubai - my hometown is soon to be playing on Apple TV( at least at my house)!

I'm pissed because I see the Mavic Air introduction as classic market manipulation by DJI, and they're pointing the manipulation straight at Mavic owners. Again, this is all my humble opinion, but DJI intentionally made the Air so close in specs and features to the Mavic Pro so Mavic Pro owners will sell their Mavics and purchase the new Air. And if someone is in the market for a new drone, the Air is the logical choice. So DJI captures both the current Mavic Pro owner market AND the new buyer market.

Then, once everyone jumps ship to the Air, I'm sure DJI will strategically introduce the Mavic Pro II or Mavic Air Pro (or whatever they decide to call it) so folks who have a six-month old Air will be tempted to buy the Mavic Pro II.

I realize DJI is in business to make money and all that blah, blah blah. But I feel like DJI has just kicked me and other Mavic Pro owners in the balls (or crotch).

Please understand these are my simple thoughts and observations. Please don't hate on me!

Your thoughts.
I thunk their products are too notch and any confidant that makes this kind of product is looking to make the next big thing. Maybe their strategy is like Apple. You have to admit, the nnavic is the epiffany of portability and precision photographic and cinematography genius. For the price, where are you going to get something so slick. I like it. Companies do what they are going to do. Maybe we should write them a letter and all sign it from the forum and let them know what WE want in the next phase of their drone development. That would be cool. Power in numbers.

I don't agree. Newer doesn't mean always better. And this is the case. Buying a Air when owning a Mavic Pro is rather a downgrade than an upgrade.
The Mavic is definitely superior to the Air. At least after what I have read about the new Air.
So, don't be pissed of, no reason to ☺️

I don't agree. Newer doesn't mean always better. And this is the case. Buying a Air when owning a Mavic Pro is rather a downgrade than an upgrade.
The Mavic is definitely superior to the Air. At least after what I have read about the new Air.
So, don't be pissed of, no reason to ☺️
I agree.
If the Air was "better" than the Pro, they would sell it for more $$$ than the Pro.
Business 101.

I think the Mavic Pro still has some notable advantages that will make it the preferred choice for many, especially since they're both $800 these days.

And it's simply a smart strategy on DJI's side. As technology continues to get smaller it makes sense that they either put the same tech in a smaller package, or put more tech in a same size package. Or both, which is what they're likely to do with keeping both an Air and Pro line.

As for the timing of it, it has been over a year, I think it's unfair to feel like DJI sprung this on Mavic owners. I remember when Sony was releasing some A7 cameras in quick succession there was some upset owners that had wished they had waited, but that was a matter of a few months between new models, not 14 months.

I'm pissed because I see the Mavic Air introduction as classic market manipulation by DJI ...

Then prepared to get pissed again and again and again; same as with cameras and phones and automobiles. Every manufacturer needs to constantly improve their products or competitors will starve them out of business.

No one in the audience during the reveal seemed very excited. for the most i think they played along with the Oooo and Wow, especially when he said what the price was, it was almost silent, that alone was the biggest let down for what was being offered.

I am happy with my MavicPro and to date over a year later, i still haven't played with all its features or flown it as far as i can go, I have tried to relax from being a an impulse buyer and leaned more into how often am i really gonna fly it, I'm a hobbyist, not a youtube guru , i just like to fly when i want to,

If a Mavic Pro 2 does emerge, i am just hoping it's capabilities are suitable for all weather, thats the type of flyer i am,Keep everything it has and make it as water resistance as possible, make the batteries heated for colder weather than currently advertise, give me some night vision, rear sensors so it can do that lil dodge thing the Air does, but from what i remember it does do something like that??? never had to use it so i dont know hahaha, But give me some things like that at the same price it sells for now Oh OH also make it so the current batteries are compatible too in case you want to use them instead of the heated batteries hahaha, They are making a mint off these proprietary batteries

And make the gimbal less fragile, i almost forgot that hahaha

I noticed none that recieved it early every really flew it in the direction of the sun, i wanted to see what type of glare it has, and i'm kinda sure there is now room for a sunshade, because its kinda receased already, but probably not enough

Last edited:
I don't understand what the problem is here. Technology advances as time goes on.

Of course they'd love it if you bought every product they make. Any company in any industry would. It's up to you to exercise willpower.

I also don’t understand why people are “upset”. Technology advances, and no one is forcing anyone to upgrade or downgrade. People need to take responsibility for their own decisions and not blame any one or company for their own decisions. Some people think they are being deceived and ripped off; they make their own decisions; live with it.

The new air is WiFi only and no where close to the Mavic Pro have you tried to fly your mavic in WiFi mode? It’s sloppy compared to RC mode! I will never use it unless there’s a unusual situation where my controller won’t work in RC mode! And WiFi has a lot of competition with all the Routers out there some of my High Power Routers can cause issues with WiFi mode!

Your thoughts.

I'm glad you can see what's happening here but sad at the same time that you don't realise that this is in fact excellent business logic. I never thought about this or realised until I started to fall into the same business ethics produced by Apple and their iPhones which led me to getting a MacBook etc. When I became wise to it I stopped buying every model that came out each year and instead settled with what I needed and left it at that. This is the way it will always be so no point in getting upset about it. There will always be something better whether you like it or not and yeah you do have a right to feel angry about this situation however instead of feelling angry just use it to benefit yourself in opening your eyes to their logic. The business logic is predictable when you see it so hold out for something if you want an improvement over a previous model.

The Mavic Air is DJI's entry level Mavic. It is close to the 1st Gen Mavic Pro, yes, but it will not be so close the 2018 version of the MP 2 when it is eventually released; possibly at a slightly higher price point too.

It isn't unusual for last year's Flagship model of any technology to be superseded or closely matched by a brand new model of it's cheaper sibling. Only when the MP 2 arrives will we have a fair comparison between Air and Pro.

If people want a better camera, greater range etc then I'm sure the MP 2 will be a better natural upgrade. Right now, DJI are filling in the blanks in its Consumer models with Tello, Spark, Mavic Air. The pro-consumer Mavic Pro 2 will eventually come, I'm confident.

It would be like if Canon had released the 6D Mark II before the 5D Mark IV. The owners of the 5D Mark III would be suggesting the 6D model had largely caught up and so why bother with the 5D Mark III when the new 6D was cheaper and nearly as good.

Your thoughts.
It's all about dji strategy. And don't roll of the drone/money market.
And don't be surprised. Because that's just what they will do.

Great video, most impressive. How high did you fly and was that one flight?
The ascent was about a 2500' climb up the mountain. Max distance was about a mile away. It was one flight. I wish I would have had the time for a second flight, the viz was so good I would have gone to the top at 2800', but I was with other people and didn't want to make them wait around for a full 45 minutes on our Hawaiian vacation in the college parking lot where I launched from, just so I could fly.

100% correct.

But,...The Air is also a 40Mbp/s step UP from the Mavic Pro!
Yes that nice, but certainly not worth the trade-off. The next MavAir might be more viable to consider, assuming it comes with Ocu-Sync. I will never buy something with Wifi for communications again, just way too finicky by comparison. Way more.

No Lightbridge/OcuSync = no interest. WiFi on a drone is for kids IMO. Sorry, that's a big deal to me. It's like buying a car with a 1gal gas tank. You just can go very far.

They say they tuned to for 2.5mi, but DJI has a habit of stretching the truth. I expect it might go 1mi reliably, but that's about it. I hope I'm wrong.

The mavic air 2 is so much better! It hasn't come out yet but my secret source says so just watch. I'm go cry in my corner now. K bye.

Before posting something whiny, ask yourself, if the MA had ocusync, would my post process still suck. If yes, stick foot in mouth and go home or go fly some more and enjoy the hobby because you are one lucky bastard for owning a high tech gadget.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2