DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm Pissed off, but do I have a right to be?

floyd

Reactions
I'm pissed because I see the Mavic Air introduction as classic market manipulation by DJI, and they're pointing the manipulation straight at Mavic owners. Again, this is all my humble opinion, but DJI intentionally made the Air so close in specs and features to the Mavic Pro so Mavic Pro owners will sell their Mavics and purchase the new Air. And if someone is in the market for a new drone, the Air is the logical choice. So DJI captures both the current Mavic Pro owner market AND the new buyer market.

Then, once everyone jumps ship to the Air, I'm sure DJI will strategically introduce the Mavic Pro II or Mavic Air Pro (or whatever they decide to call it) so folks who have a six-month old Air will be tempted to buy the Mavic Pro II.

I realize DJI is in business to make money and all that blah, blah blah. But I feel like DJI has just kicked me and other Mavic Pro owners in the balls (or crotch).

Please understand these are my simple thoughts and observations. Please don't hate on me!

Your thoughts.

It's actually not quite so simple. The key thing here is lack of OcuSync. It makes a MASSIVE difference (versus the Spark, in my experience). I think the Mavic Air is a great drone. But it's not quite the Mavic Pro. It's definitely a niggling desire to want one, but yes - you can bet there will be a newer, fancier drone before too long to replace the Mavic Pro.

That's just the way it is. It's very much like Apple. They have different devices that have pros and cons (especially in the laptop world). I mean, for the most part I don't NEED a powerhouse MacBook Pro. I could do just as well on a 12" MacBook which is so light and portable. But the MacBook Pro has the cool TouchBar! And it has lots of USB Type-C ports! But the 12" MacBook has so much portability and great battery life! So then you want both. Poop!

The Mavic Air isn't better or worse than the Mavic Pro. It's certainly different, and there are things that will appeal to people about both.

Fundamentally, the Mavic Pro absolutely - UNQUESTIONABLY - will have better range and solidity of video transfer due to OcuSync. If you live in a city and do some fly-arounds, this will likely be the defining factor. It's not even about 4.3 miles vs 2.5 miles. It's about Wi-Fi flat out is not as good as OcuSync. Wi-Fi can be frustrating even 50 feet away.

If you travel into the great unknown, with little-to-no buildings/interference around, then the Air would do just fine for you.

That said, I still want an Air because I have this nasty tech obsession. But if I'm at home and wanting to fly around, I'm going to always pick the Mavic. It's got better battery life, and it uses an actual radio versus Wi-Fi.

If the Air had OcuSync, I'd be struggling to find (for me) any MAJOR reason to keep the Mavic Pro.

I totally disagree.

As a recent Mavic Pro buyer, I see no reason to "upgrade" to a Mavic Air. If I had the choice of either a few weeks ago, it would have been a difficult decision.

The Mavic Air has a couple of small advantages over the Pro, but also some significant disadvantages. I won't be getting an Air.

I think DJI have seen the popularity of the Mavic among travellers and consumers and the gap there was to the Spark. Small size and portability is a big selling point and the Mavic Air addresses this while including 4K video and plenty of tech.

This is a drone for the buyer who sees the Spark as a bit too basic and the Mavic Pro as a bit too expensive.

I think it will cannibalise Mavic Pro sales, but it won't coax too many existing Mavic Pro owners. It may, however, be the tipping point for many consumers to make the decision to buy a drone. It's also a logical upgrade from the Spark.

I see no reason to get rid of the Mavic Pro. Similar specs, longer flight time, to me still really portable... and have you seen that ugly control from the air? Either way you can still find the Mavic Pro at the same similar starting price of the Mavic Air. Makes no sense to buy the Mavic Air.

If the Mavic Air is so close in specs and features to the Mavic Pro, why do you think Mavic Pro owners will sell up and buy the Air?
Hmm... good question. While I haven't watched all the reviews, most reviewers that directly compare the Air to the Pro like the Air more. I do like the built-in memory, rear sensors, slightly better video, and more compactness of the Air. Plus it's second-generation technology over the Pro's first generation technology.

Hmm... good question. While I haven't watched all the reviews, most reviewers that directly compare the Air to the Pro like the Air more. I do like the built-in memory, rear sensors, slightly better video, and more compactness of the Air. Plus it's second-generation technology over the Pro's first generation technology.

You mean ALL the reviewers, right? These are all people that DJI KNOWS will give positive reviews to the Air. That's why they got them first! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they genuinely like the Air. But you need to take these reviews with a hefty grain of salt until "real" people get them.

I'm sure it's a great drone. But nobody has had enough time with it in real-world scenarios to make any full determination.

Again, the fly in the ointment is going to be Wi-Fi, I guarantee it.

ill probably get it just to keep my other drones happy,do wish it had occusync but this will be my neighborhood drone.

ill probably get it just to keep my other drones happy,do wish it had occusync but this will be my neighborhood drone.

If you're in a neighborhood, the Mavic Pro should be the drone you use. Shouldn't have any interference issues with everyone's 2.4Ghz/5Ghz networks.

Reactions: coop64
you just blew my biggest reason for getting the air:)

Yep.

You should see me with my Spark from my ROOF, high above everyone else's house. 50 feet away with my Spark, and the adjustment control for the gimbal just stopped working due to interference. I could not tilt the gimbal up or down at all for about 8 seconds. And you can EASILY tell the (if you're a gamer) input lag when there's interference. There's NOTHING worse that zooming in one direction and then it doesn't respond to a change in direction for a second or two. Those seconds feels like an eternity.

DJI really should have put OcuSync in this thing. Grr!

Reactions: Rudolf Bacher
After reading some of the posts, I'm feeling a bit better about being a Pro owner.
For sure. I don’t look at it as an upgrade what so ever. It’s an upgrade to the Spark, and just different from the Mavic Pro. I think the worst thing they could have done was give it the Mavic name.

Last edited:

I'd have to agree with others who have commented that the lack of OcuSync rules out the Air as a serious competitor for many uses. As for the video, I'd be surprised if there is much difference in quality since it has the same sensor as the MP, but it will be interesting to see once more independent reviews are available.

Reactions: ZUCSTA
I'm pissed because I see the Mavic Air introduction as classic market manipulation by DJI, and they're pointing the manipulation straight at Mavic owners. Again, this is all my humble opinion, but DJI intentionally made the Air so close in specs and features to the Mavic Pro so Mavic Pro owners will sell their Mavics and purchase the new Air. And if someone is in the market for a new drone, the Air is the logical choice. So DJI captures both the current Mavic Pro owner market AND the new buyer market.

Then, once everyone jumps ship to the Air, I'm sure DJI will strategically introduce the Mavic Pro II or Mavic Air Pro (or whatever they decide to call it) so folks who have a six-month old Air will be tempted to buy the Mavic Pro II.

I realize DJI is in business to make money and all that blah, blah blah. But I feel like DJI has just kicked me and other Mavic Pro owners in the balls (or crotch).

Please understand these are my simple thoughts and observations. Please don't hate on me!

Your thoughts.
The Air is a step down from the Mavic, I do not feel pissed, however, if I recently bought a Spark, I would be.

Of course they'll rave all about the Mavic Air....and any new drone they get. They don't have to pay for it!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190