DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm pulling the trigger on the MP today! Help please...

TeeCee

Reactions
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking for a few days now trying to soak up any info I can before spending my money on the Mavic.
I'm leaving in an hour to get my Mavic at the local FRY'S. I just wanted to check in before I unbox. I purposely decided to get it at night so I could get everything dialed in before running out the door to fly her maiden flight in an immature display of impatience. I know me =)

Just wondering what I should do BEFORE I power it on and load firmware and the like. I'll be using it with a Samsung TAB 2 and maybe my S7 as well. Also wondering about DJI refresh...get it or NOT...? Anyone familiar with FRY's as far as a purchase like this is concerned?

I'm a new pilot only having a couple of cheap quads, the better of which was a Holystone F181C. None of them were very stable but the F181C wasn't bad for a sub $100 quad. I live in Huntington Beach CA by the way.

Anything ANYONE can add, advice, do & don'ts would be greatly appreciated!
Anthony

I update, but many here don't so that is up to you. Also, both the battery and the RC have to charge, so if you are sitting around waiting, read the manual. The other big thing is to watch as many youtube videos you can to get pointers.

Reactions: wytnyt and TeeCee
Just make sure you first flight is in a nice open space so you can become comfortable with the controls.

Download the FULL Mavic manual as you don't get that in the box ( if you don't have it already)

Put your S7 in flight mode and close all background apps.

Reactions: TeeCee
Shucks I gotta read? Beginner mode? But I've flown a few $35 drones! Thanks Anthony...Duly Noted!

Just make sure you first flight is in a nice open space so you can become comfortable with the controls.

Download the FULL Mavic manual as you don't get that in the box ( if you don't have it already)

Put your S7 in flight mode and close all background apps.

Isn't there apps or sites that have maps with NFZs? Can you recommend any? In the USA? Commiefornia specifically.

Hello everyone,
I've been lurking for a few days now trying to soak up any info I can before spending my money on the Mavic.
I'm leaving in an hour to get my Mavic at the local FRY'S. I just wanted to check in before I unbox. I purposely decided to get it at night so I could get everything dialed in before running out the door to fly her maiden flight in an immature display of impatience. I know me =)

Just wondering what I should do BEFORE I power it on and load firmware and the like. I'll be using it with a Samsung TAB 2 and maybe my S7 as well. Also wondering about DJI refresh...get it or NOT...? Anyone familiar with FRY's as far as a purchase like this is concerned?

I'm a new pilot only having a couple of cheap quads, the better of which was a Holystone F181C. None of them were very stable but the F181C wasn't bad for a sub $100 quad. I live in Huntington Beach CA by the way.

Anything ANYONE can add, advice, do & don'ts would be greatly appreciated!
Anthony
If you can get a Personal property Policy from State Farm, as others have mentioned here, insurance covers an unrecoverable drone, DJI requires the physical aircraft and you are at the mercy of their support while they hold/repair it. So you will need to deside on DJI Refresh within 48 hours of purchase so perhaps a few insurance calls to your Home Owner's company.

If you can get a Personal property Policy from State Farm, as others have mentioned here, insurance covers an unrecoverable drone, DJI requires the physical aircraft and you are at the mercy of their support while they hold/repair it. So you will need to deside on DJI Refresh within 48 hours of purchase so perhaps a few insurance calls to your Home Owner's company.
Unfortunately I'm in California and I don't think they offer it here.

Isn't there apps or sites that have maps with NFZs? Can you recommend any? In the USA? Commiefornia specifically.

Yes UAV Forcast for weather and Air Map

The DJI GO 4 app will alert you of no fly zones when you attempt to fly the Mavic Pro

Frys will typically take items back within 30 days max WITH the receipt.

They wont take a shredded Mavic Pro back though so things needs to look fairly new if a return or exchange is expected. Make sure they dont have one of those exclusion signs or stickers where the Mavic Pros are located that say no returns on opened drones or the like.
They may have small print exceptions for things like drones. Since you are in California than my standard advice to pickup a personal articles policy for your Mavic Pro with Statefarm insurance would not apply.

spent at least a week reading here and watching youtube BEFORE your maiden voyage to avoid being another statistic on here

Reactions: Fergy and TeeCee
Ok what's the difference between WARNING ZONE & ENHANCED WARNING ZONES on the DJI GEO Map? Can you fly in these zones or not, I'm confused...

This is great! So 100% cloud cover is a NO GO for flying?

No that's not correct. ...you need to set your conditions etc and it will tell you if it's good flying conditions etc you can definitely fly on cloudy days ... just not in the rain and not in winds above 20 mph IMO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus