DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm thinking I may be able to use the DJI Goggles and and the ipad at the same time

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
I'm getting the DJI Goggles RE on Christmas. I'm thinking it may in fact be possible to use them simultaneously with an ipad on my Mavic Air. Here's a video of someone showing how to do it with an HDMI cable on a different tablet. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm going to try it with a mini ipad next week by using Apple's Digital AV Adapter which connects to a standard HDMI cable (i.e., see here). I really need both when I let someone else wear the goggles and I'm flying.

If successful, this same setup should work for the Spark (as in the video above.) I'll let you know.

I'm getting the DJI Goggles RE on Christmas. I'm thinking it may in fact be possible to use them simultaneously with an ipad on my Mavic Air. Here's a video of someone showing how to do it with an HDMI cable on a different tablet. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm going to try it with a mini ipad next week by using Apple's Digital AV Adapter which connects to a standard HDMI cable (i.e., see here). I really need both when I let someone else wear the goggles and I'm flying.

If successful, this same setup should work for the Spark (as in the video above.) I'll let you know.
Thank you for sharing your experience with that. I have the goggles RE and will be lookong for your feedback on that. Thanks again

Don't waste your time/money, the AV adapter will NOT work, it's widely documented already. The USB on it is only for charging so with a Mavic Air you can't get a connection with the remote when it's in. With a Spark you can connect to the remote wirelessly so it kinda works.

The only option you have with an iPad/MA is one of those clunky setups with a wireless display adapter.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time/money, the AV adapter will NOT work, it's widely documented already. The USB on it is only for charging so with a Mavic Air you can't get a connection with the remote when it's in. With a Spark you can connect to the remote wirelessly so it kinda works.

The only option you have with an iPad/MA is one of those clunky setups with a wireless display adapter.

I'm trying something different. I know only one port is active at a time on the controller. I intend to use only the micro USB port on the side with an Apple USB-C to Digital AV connector (HDMI, USB and USB-C). I can connect it with the connector that comes with the charging cable on the Mavic. I can then connect the goggles via the HDMI port and the ipad at the same time to the USB port via a lightning-USB cable. Since I'm using only one port, the question is whether I can get 2 video feeds - which I believe the Apple connector is designed to do. (The docs say the USB port also sends data in addition to the HDMI port while the USB-C port is for charging only.)

from Apple documentation ......
"The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter lets you connect your USB-C-enabled Mac or iPad Pro to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable. This adapter allows you to mirror your Mac or iPad Pro display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p at 60Hz or UHD (3840 by 2160) at 30Hz. It also outputs video content like movies and captured video. Simply connect the adapter to a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port on your Mac or iPad Pro and then to your TV or projector via an HDMI cable (sold separately). Use the standard USB port to connect devices such as your flash drive or camera or a USB cable for syncing and charging your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. You can also connect a charging cable to the USB-C port to charge your Mac or iPad Pro."

I will try it tomorrow.

Update: I tried the USB port on the AV adapter with an ipad. While it may "synch" data according to Apple, it unfortunately does not send a video feed.

2nd update: Goggles work fine with the USB cable. However, I can't get the HDMI connection to work with the Apple digital AV (which should definitely work.). I suspect the DJI Mavic Air connector that I'm using to plug into the controller side port is for charging only and not sending the video feed through. I need to find a connector that will allow me to plug in the HDMI cable usb-c end into the controller micro usb. This web site claims the Mavic air "can still connect to a pair of DJI Goggles (RE) via micro HDMI." But can't figure out how. I will play with it some more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hussy112233