DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image quality with the goggles

Mavic626

Reactions
I have been using the litchi app with A VR headset using my Samsung galaxy 8+. I have noticed that the image quality is not that good using the app in the headset. I went to the DJI store today and tried on the goggles.

They did not have it connected to a drone but they plugged in in HDMI connector and played a drone video. I was amazed by it, but how does the real time feed look coming from your mavic? Can you see the same amount of detail as you could on your phone? Or is it degraded? Is it so sharp that you can see things like telephone wires as you are approaching them? I did not know if watching a video through the HDMI was giving me a false notion of what the goggles would look like during flight.

Yes the Mavic live feed to the goggles is stunningly clear when its in 1080 mode. If you fly further away it switches to a 720 mode, which is still very clear. There is also a 720/60fps mode which isn't so clear but has extremely low latency, but I haven't found much use for that mode.

I don't have a way to test the hdmi method you've used, but its the same signal as the one the goggles receive, without the extra overhead of the RC transfer. The goggles built in app is perfectly tuned to display it.

Reactions: Kilrah
Live feed in "HD" (1080) mode is as good as an HDMI source as long as you're at "reasonable" distances, when it switches down to 720 it's only marginally inferior. It's insane.

Awesome, I'm definitely going to get a pair. I was not too impressed with the litchi app using the VR goggles. Do you think there is anything wrong with trying to find a used pair on eBay or is this something one should just buy new?

I'd think that with so many having problems with their own ability to focus, some deals could be had used. Having said that I would never buy used without having an iron clad refund option.

I got a slightly used pair from EBay for $340 about 3 weeks ago, and they look new and work great, for what its worth. Just make sure the seller has a very high (or 100%) rating.

I got a slightly used pair from EBay for $340 about 3 weeks ago, and they look new and work great, for what its worth. Just make sure the seller has a very high (or 100%) rating.
Did you need any type of glasses or are you able to see the screen clearly?

Surprisingly, the goggles look crystal clear when I don't use any glasses at all underneath. Which is very strange, because I've got bad eyes - I'm near-sighted and far-sighted so I have to wear progressive lenses all the time to see anything up close or anything farther away than about 3 feet. I thought for sure I was going to have to get a pair of readers, and I've tried them in all strengths to see if they made a difference, but they make everything blurry. So I guess(?) the screens are just in my sweet spot somehow, luckily.

Since I've had the goggles, I haven't made a flight without them. I still like prefer to land VLOS, since I always hand-catch, so I usually flip up the goggles and put on my regular glasses or script-sunglasses before I land. Hand catching with the goggles on is just asking for trouble, IMO.

I've practiced getting comfortable with the goggles by just walking around the house while holding the mavic and wearing the goggles and using the head-tracking feature. I'm trying to get totally familiar with the exact clearance-space around the mavic from a goggles perspective. For some reason my wife thinks she married a freak.

Is quite noticeable chromatic aberration "normal"? Looks like the eyepiece is a 1-element lens with no chromatic aberration compensation.
The lenses are junk. I'm not sure how much it matters in that context though, the field of view is huge.

I will buy third party lens replacement when available in a heartbeat. While the focus-fixers product is a neat idea, doesn't solve issues like astigmatism.

You got a steal on your ebay googles, I just ran the numbers over the past month and the average cost for sold googles on ebay with shipping is $392. I just picked up a pair with the sling bag for more than that but I cannot wait for them to get here!

Reactions: TrayBoz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18