DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Import Tax into UK from DJI Netherlands for repairs?

I am in a dispute with UPS on import duty from DJI repair in Netherlands. They want over a £100 off me, they are not getting it. They can stick the drone where it hurts as far as i am concerned. According to HMRC. "You do not have to pay duty on goods that have been repaired or replaced free of charge under a guarantee. You must show us this guarantee." Its a repair!, not bought in! You get some right chancers in this country, time we stood up and booted their *****.

There is typically paperwork that you can file when you originally ship the item outside of the UK to make it "duty exempt". For example: Returning Imported Goods For Repair - Import & Export - How - Procurement - Help on - Information for Staff - Finance - The University of Sheffield
According to HMRC. "You do not have to pay duty on goods that have been repaired or replaced free of charge under a guarantee. You must show us this guarantee."

Here the government info: Using outward processing to process or repair your goods

Hello, here's my experience of sending my DJI Mini 2 to Netherlands for repair in May 2021:
  • I contacted DJI support to say the Mini 2 had crashed into the ground whilst returning to its starting point after an automated 'dronie' shot, cracking the top shell. They told me to send it in and provided me with a free UPS Express postage label.
  • I contacted DJI support to ask if they would cover customs charges when the drone was sent back to me in the UK. They said something vague like "no, we may compensate you for customs if you ask us, but we're not going to commit to anything"
  • I wanted it fixed regardless so booked collection for the next day, UPS collected and delivered the drone to the NL the next day before 10am.
  • Around 1 week later I was contacted by DJI to provide some in-flight logs from the DJI Fly app, which I did.
  • A couple of days after that, I got an update saying they were fixing my drone for free under warranty (replacing 1 arm and the top case).
  • A couple more days after that, I got an email to say the drone had been dispatched back to me with UPS Express.
  • 2 days after that the drone was delivered to me in London. The drone was handed to me, and no payments were taken by the courier.
  • I opened the package and they've sent me a completely new drone (fine by me). The "Unit value" written on the invoice stuck to the package says €138.50 and there's a stamp that says "no commercial value".
So, ultimately the drone was replaced for free, with no cost to me at any stage of the process. Bear in mind the drone was fixed under warranty as it had crashed itself, the process may be different for someone else.

Hope this helps

I've had my Mavic 2 controller replaced under warranty...DJI supply an invoice to attach to the outer packaging for return shipping to Netherlands.
UPS brought the replacement back to me.... nothing to pay.
Just my experience earlier this month ?
Couriers are charging retrospectively - give it a month or two and you'll have a bill from the courier for taxes paid by them on your behalf.

I've had my Mavic 2 controller replaced under warranty...DJI supply an invoice to attach to the outer packaging for return shipping to Netherlands.
UPS brought the replacement back to me.... nothing to pay.
Just my experience earlier this month ?
Couriers are charging retrospectively - give it a month or two and you'll have a bill from the courier for taxes paid by them on your behalf - probably at least £65, to cover their "admin" too.

Just Brits being mugged by anyone and everyone as usual. EG, has the price of German cars gone up? NO. We have a free trade agreement with the EU. We don't stick duty on their imports and they don't stick duty on ours. Something stinks.
I have a different experience. I recently bought a 3D printer from a company in Poland. The advertised price didn't include VAT. Before it was delivered I had only to pay the outstanding VAT and an £11 admin fee to the courier, which I thought was reasonable.

Reactions: PeteTheJack
Hi Guys.
This has been going on for years before brexit. Postal and Courier always pay duty upfront whether you ask them to or not then hold your item to ransom with a "Admin" charge claiming it's for your 'convenience'.

Warranty repair items to the UK are or should be covered under the simplified declaration process.

European companies have not got their act together yet and have to register their warranty process items and sign a declaration prior to them being sent so custom officials let them through. This should only apply to warranty items, which should also cover replacements, which DJI likes to do.

I used to import stuff from the States and used to get charged an 'Admin' fee from any courier company for handling my parcel and paying customs fees on my behalf, sometimes when there was no duty to pay.

What the company needed to do, at my request, was to write on the customs form "goods to be declared by importer"

Typically in the states, no one has heard of this and sometimes would refuse to do so thinking it was some kind of illegal scam on my behalf. HMRC and Borderforce actually had the information listed on their website for some time clearly stating that courier companies were not allowed to make a charge if this information was written on the form.

Typically there is no space to write this info and many courier companies would claim that it is written on the box or over the form or near the form was not good enough. And tried to charge.

I spent years talking to my MP and even BorderForce and lobbying parliament (of which I am still due a reply) regarding this situation.
Border force and HMRC for a long time changed their web pages to omit this info and carried on their merry way.
It is back now and can be found here.
Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad: Documents - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I have no longer need this as I no longer import stuff, but DJI should sort this simplified declaration prior to posting, and you, as the exporter/importer, has a duty to declare the warranty repair to the HMRC and repair company to make sure the repair company follows their due diligence so you do not have to pay customs fees.

If you are out of warranty then you most likely will have to pay. Sorry. Find a local company to repair your item.
There are many popping up and providing a good repair service in the UK.

Best of luck. I hope some of this info helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteTheJack
Hi Guys.
This has been going on for years before brexit. Postal and Courier always pay duty upfront whether you ask them to or not then hold your item to ransom with a "Admin" charge claiming it's for your 'convenience'.

Warranty repair items to the UK are or should be covered under the simplified declaration process.

European companies have not got their act together yet and have to register their warranty process items and sign a declaration prior to them being sent so custom officials let them through. This should only apply to warranty items, which should also cover replacements, which DJI likes to do.

I used to import stuff from the States and used to get charged an 'Admin' fee from any courier company for handling my parcel and paying customs fees on my behalf, sometimes when there was no duty to pay.

What the company needed to do, at my request, was to write on the customs form "goods to be declared by importer"

Typically in the states, no one has heard of this and sometimes would refuse to do so thinking it was some kind of illegal scam on my behalf. HMRC and Borderforce actually had the information listed on their website for some time clearly stating that courier companies were not allowed to make a charge if this information was written on the form.

Typically there is no space to write this info and many courier companies would claim that it is written on the box or over the form or near the form was not good enough. And tried to charge.

I spent years talking to my MP and even BorderForce and lobbying parliament (of which I am still due a reply) regarding this situation.
Border force and HMRC for a long time changed their web pages to omit this info and carried on their merry way.
It is back now and can be found here.
Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad: Documents - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I have no longer need this as I no longer import stuff, but DJI should sort this simplified declaration prior to posting, and you, as the exporter/importer, has a duty to declare the warranty repair to the HMRC and repair company to make sure the repair company follows their due diligence so you do not have to pay customs fees.

If you are out of warranty then you most likely will have to pay. Sorry. Find a local company to repair your item.
There are many popping up and providing a good repair service in the UK.

Best of luck. I hope some of this info helps.
Similar experience here. I've imported and exported stuff for thirty years, from and to the US and EU. It's always been on a relatively small scale, between £10k and £80k PA, and my experience has changed little in the last few years.

Good advice on the in UK repair services but I hope I'll not need to use them.

It's not a purchase from abroad so why on earth would HMRC charge import duty?
It is however a VERY GOOD question and given how everything else connected with the exit seems to be a _ _ _ _ up you may have a point.
With that in mind I would make sure you have a very good paper trail showing it is a repair/replacement so that you could challenge HMRC if they do 'try' to charge.
I wonder, do the Dutch customs charge import duty on the damaged one.
I thought the truck diver's ham sandwich was a corker, I was wondering what would have happened it the trip had been made 2 or 3 days earlier or exit was completed.

Bear in mind that the carrier may be responsible for collecting any duty and that they may charge a collection fee!
I recollect reading that RM will refund the fee if it is proven that an item was not liable for duty and duty was mistakenly charged but that was quite a few years ago and should be checked.
If I return a faulty item to a jewellers in Amsterdam to be repaired and they tell me it can’t be repaired but will send me a free replacement do I pay taxes from Amsterdam to the U.K.?

If that was addressed to me, I do not know the answer, common sense would say not.......but.................

Reactions: woldwoollies
Thank you for your reply. At their request I returned a faulty watch expecting it to be repaired but today I was told it can’t be repaired and they’ve offered me a free replacement which I’ve accepted but as I’ve said I’m now wondering if I’ll have to pay customs duty because of Brexit. No money involved so as you say why pay duty on a free transaction.

If it is clearly marked as a replacement then you might be able to reclaim duty if charged........ but I have a recollection that refunding of charge collection fees by the carrier is at the discretion of the carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply. At their request I returned a faulty watch expecting it to be repaired but today I was told it can’t be repaired and they’ve offered me a free replacement which I’ve accepted but as I’ve said I’m now wondering if I’ll have to pay customs duty because of Brexit. No money involved so as you say why pay duty on a free transaction.
When I first contacted them they told me to return it and it would be repaired ‘under guarantee’. I thanked them for offering to repair it free of charge because in the U.K. the word guarantee means free. They agreed with that comment. In their email I received yesterday they told me it couldn’t be repaired but they wanted to offer me a free replacement almost identical to the one I returned. After reading about possible Customs charges post Brexit I emailed the jewellers for clarification but I haven’t heard from them yet. Watch this space!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom