DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Impressive 7x quality...

With respect to Mavics being "toy drones", as claimed in another thread, I once owned a really cheap guitar. So cheap even its top was made of laminated wood instead of solid. Beginner stuff, except I found playing it so unpleasant that it actually discouraged me from practicing and learning.

At a party in my apartment, a neighbor picked it up, tweaked the tuning pegs, and started to strum. Embarrassed, I blurted out, "Oh, that's just a bargain-basement plywood toy! I can't get decent sound out of it…" but stopped short. In his hands it seemed like a completely different instrument. Didn't sound great, but I would never have guessed it was my cheesy little git-box.

Several other party-goers came over to listen, and enjoyed the songs. Other than having to retune after each song, it very nearly seemed to be a decent instrument. After everyone left I picked it up, but the magic had left with him.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "Toy is as toy does."

GadgetGuy's osprey photo demonstrates that as well as anything could IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suren and GadgetGuy
With respect to Mavics being "toy drones", as claimed in another thread, I once owned a really cheap guitar. So cheap even its top was made of laminated wood instead of solid. Beginner stuff, except I found playing it so unpleasant that it actually discouraged me from practicing and learning.

At a party in my apartment, a neighbor picked it up, tweaked the tuning pegs, and started to strum. Embarrassed, I blurted out, "Oh, that's just a bargain-basement plywood toy! I can't get decent sound out of it…" but stopped short. In his hands it seemed like a completely different instrument. Didn't sound great, but I would never have guessed it was my cheesy little git-box.

Several other party-goers came over to listen, and enjoyed the songs. Other than having to retune after each song, it very nearly seemed to be a decent instrument. After everyone left I picked it up, but the magic had left with him.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "Toy is as toy does."

GadgetGuy's osprey photo demonstrates that as well as anything could IMO.
It's not the tool. It's the craftsman! A wrench does not a plumber make, but a good plumber can use whatever tools are available to get the job done! This osprey photo cannot be captured from the ground. You can't even see the osprey from below. There are also no tall buildings anywhere nearby, where a much longer telephoto lens might work, by shooting from above. Only a drone or helicopter will work, without a 100 foot ladder! Mavic 3 7x telephoto camera does a great job. Softness in the image is primarily due to 14mph winds blowing on the feathers, and the slow 1/15 sec shutter speed, taken from a drone, hovering in the same wind!

It's not the tool. It's the craftsman! A wrench does not a plumber make, but a good plumber can use whatever tools are available to get the job done! This osprey photo cannot be captured from the ground. You can't even see the osprey from below. There are also no tall buildings anywhere nearby, where a much longer telephoto lens might work, by shooting from above. Only a drone or helicopter will work, without a 100 foot ladder! Mavic 3 7x telephoto camera does a great job. Softness in the image is primarily due to 14mph winds blowing on the feathers, and the slow 1/15 sec shutter speed, taken from a drone, hovering in the same wind!
Wow that is even more impressive if 1/15th on the 7x in wind!

Can we see a “from normal to zoom in at 7x” please,
will show the difference better, thanks

Reactions: Bussty
Wow that is even more impressive if 1/15th on the 7x in wind!
The shutter speed and focal length should be able to be reconfirmed in the meta data of the uploaded image, if you download it, and check the Detail properties. M3 is impressively stable in the wind, even at 7x. At 28x, it will require some tweaking in the wind, when this close.

For clarity, the 7x is not a zoom, but a separate 7x telephoto camera. On this date, while checking out the osprey nest, I didn't shoot any stills at 1x on the main lens, only video, where a still extract would only show the change in size within the frame, but lose significant resolution over a 12 MP still image. I'll make a point to do so next time. However, this test image may show the difference in sharpness you are looking for, if I have properly understood your request.
D9F7AAD6-6903-482D-B1C9-2E78806D1783.jpeg

Last edited:
The shutter speed and focal length should be able to be reconfirmed in the meta data of the uploaded image, if you download it, and check the Detail properties. M3 is impressively stable in the wind, even at 7x. At 28x, it will require some tweaking in the wind, when this close.
Yep 1/15th if a second alright, quite incredible. I see you were at min ISO assume you can change that? When does it start to break up/get noisy in terms of ISO?

For clarity, the 7x is not a zoom, but a separate 7x telephoto camera. On this date, while checking out the osprey nest, I didn't shoot any stills at 1x on the main lens, only video, where a still extract would only show the change in size within the frame, but lose significant resolution over a 12 MP still image. I'll make a point to do so next time. However, this test image may show the difference in sharpness you are looking for, if I have properly understood your request.
Agree the wide 1x on the main camera is really helpful to get a feel for what the 7x is actually achieving

Yep 1/15th if a second alright, quite incredible. I see you were at min ISO assume you can change that? When does it start to break up/get noisy in terms of ISO?
No control currently over any of the 7x telephoto camera parameters except EV value. Everything is automatic and JPG only for stills. I haven't monitored ISO performance, but it's f/4.4 needs lots of light for anything more than a record image at night. In good lighting, it's excellent.

Agree the wide 1x on the main camera is really helpful to get a feel for what the 7x is actually achieving
A 600% crop of the 1x from the same spot to show the same FOV as the 7x is all you need to get a feel. That's shown in the test above.

A 600% crop of the 1x from the same spot to show the same FOV as the 7x is all you need to get a feel. That's shown in the test above.
I don't think it's about image quality but rather comparative view. We have confirmed quality (and its amazing) but hard to visualize just how far that 7x is punching in especially if you don't own the drone yet.

Reactions: ICHOTT
It’s not “all I need” and it wasn’t the question, Bussty is correct, it was the comparative view that’s of interest, eg how far away from the sheep (great shots btw) was the drone, they could clearly hear the noise of the drone but were not disturbed by it which is great!

It’s not “all I need” and it wasn’t the question, Bussty is correct, it was the comparative view that’s of interest, eg how far away from the sheep (great shots btw) was the drone, they could clearly hear the noise of the drone but were not disturbed by it which is great!
It's 7x farther away than the 1x of the main camera. It's not rocket science. You can simulate it yourself with your iPhone either in video or stills using 1x to 7x for change in perspective. I thought the question was how much different is the image on the 7x telephoto compared to cropping in 600% on the 1x camera. Not sure what else you are wanting, that hasn't already been shared repeatedly. We don't work for you! These repeated requests for more and more are becoming tiresome.

Get off the side lines and buy it. Nobody else can discern your subjective perception of "comparative view," whatever that means. Everything else is completely objective, and has already been presented by numerous owners eager to share their experience. Only you can do you.

Reactions: christangey
It's 7x farther away than the 1x of the main camera. It's not rocket science. You can simulate it yourself with your iPhone either in video or stills using 1x to 7x for change in perspective. I thought the question was how much different is the image on the 7x telephoto compared to cropping in 600% on the 1x camera. Not sure what else you are wanting, that hasn't already been shared repeatedly. We don't work for you! These repeated requests for more and more are becoming tiresome.

Get off the side lines and buy it. Nobody else can discern your subjective perception of "comparative view," whatever that means. Everything else is completely objective, and has already been presented by numerous owners eager to share their experience. Only you can do you.
Hey this is just an interest thing. We would be interested to see the difference in view. You have been very helpful in supplying the 7x views and 1x magnified comparisons and I thank you for that. Look it's fine if you don't see the value in the visual comparison that's your call but I value it and I think Ichott does too.

We are just different that's all and that's fine. Thanks for what you have shared but we can look elsewhere for the comparisons we are interested in.

Cheers

Reactions: ICHOTT
Hey this is just an interest thing. We would be interested to see the difference in view. You have been very helpful in supplying the 7x views and 1x magnified comparisons and I thank you for that. Look it's fine if you don't see the value in the visual comparison that's your call but I value it and I think Ichott does too.

We are just different that's all and that's fine. Thanks for what you have shared but we can look elsewhere for the comparisons we are interested in.

Cheers
It's not that I don't see the value. The "difference in view" is exactly the same as it is on any other camera capable of a 1x optical and a 7x digital zoom, like an iPhone. Only the quality will be improved, as seen above in the comparison of 600% crop and 7x optical at 100%, because the 7x is actually optical instead of digital, and both sensors are larger. Get out your iPhone and compare fields of view at 1x and 7x of any subject you want. It's the exact same difference in view.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone