DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In case you're wondering how a repair goes...

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I wrecked my Mini pretty well as I was learning to fly it, but still ended up with the footage I needed for my family's year-in-review video. I shipped my Mini off to DJI just as it was about to fully spin to pieces in the air; this is what they've sent back to me:

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 5.39.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 5.39.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 5.38.17 PM.png

You'll note that they deemed the front left landing gear damaged, even though it was 100% beautifully restored to factory condition by the cup and a half of epoxy I applied to it (ironically, this was not what was causing the trouble – I think it was the shell damage).

What's interesting is that the pretty extensive repairs added up to just $77 – more than, but not strikingly more than, the $40 I could pay if I used up a free life with the Refresh program. I paid the $77, but it was a close call. I figured that I can likely wreck this thing even more completely in the coming year.

I'd be interested to hear what others would have done – pay the $77 and keep the two covered repairs, or pay $40 and use up a Refresh repair?

One have to consider that DJI Refresh also cost an additional $39/2 to purchase. So in other words, it's $77 vs $60.

Probably not worth it to use up a Refresh repair.

Reactions: Thmoore
What I find interesting is the minimal total cost of repair (replacement). I have DJI Refresh on my aircraft (MA and MM). DJI replaced an MA last year. I was thinking it would be repaired (broken front arm, wanky gimbal), but got a replacement that I am happy with. Recently I sent in my MA controller (USB Side connector) for repair. In less than a week, it is already on it's way back to me. Both instances, I experienced timely email communication for each step of process and quick return, with no shipping cost.
If you have DJI refresh, why not use it? If not, I would pay the cost of repair and cover the replacement with DJI refresh. Just my thought from experience.

I wrecked my Mini pretty well as I was learning to fly it, but still ended up with the footage I needed for my family's year-in-review video. I shipped my Mini off to DJI just as it was about to fully spin to pieces in the air; this is what they've sent back to me:

View attachment 90237
View attachment 90238

View attachment 90239

You'll note that they deemed the front left landing gear damaged, even though it was 100% beautifully restored to factory condition by the cup and a half of epoxy I applied to it (ironically, this was not what was causing the trouble – I think it was the shell damage).

What's interesting is that the pretty extensive repairs added up to just $77 – more than, but not strikingly more than, the $40 I could pay if I used up a free life with the Refresh program. I paid the $77, but it was a close call. I figured that I can likely wreck this thing even more completely in the coming year.

I'd be interested to hear what others would have done – pay the $77 and keep the two covered repairs, or pay $40 and use up a Refresh repair?
Only $77 for that, I broke front right arm on my MM and got quote for 111£ (sterling) just for the arm I since have found a replacement arm on internet I got my MM back after nearly 3 wks as they didn't have spares until end of the month (Jan 2020) I will fit new arm myself. also when I contacted the repair shop they told me they could not sell me spare parts hence I sent them my MM.

I wanted to get the Refresh program but waited more then the 48 hours after its activated. I didn't realize that and waited to long to purchase. My bad I guess. But I've watched a lot of YouTube videos and don't remember anybody mentioning the program and the time frame allowed. Would of been nice!

I wanted to get the Refresh program but waited more then the 48 hours after its activated. I didn't realize that and waited to long to purchase. My bad I guess. But I've watched a lot of YouTube videos and don't remember anybody mentioning the program and the time frame allowed. Would of been nice!
You can still get DJI care package, you just need to make a video showing it working. The official video instructing you how to do it shows a lot of steps and stating you needed to fly to 120m altitude, I emailed them asking if they had some cut down steps for the MM and they replied with this:
  1. Make sure that the serial number is visible and readable.
  2. Make sure that you reach 50 meters high and 50 meters in distance.
  3. Make sure that the aircraft is stable when flying
  4. While flying the drone the DJI Go App is visible.
  5. Make sure to show the safe land of the unit at the end of the video. Do not edit your video. Edited videos will not pass verification.

Sorry you had a crash. But I did watch your year-in-review video and thought it was great, even though I do not know your family. I have never seen something like this and I thought it was brilliant! Do you do it every year? Is this a 'thing' now? Do a lot of people do this, or is this the start of something new?

Thanks for sharing and have a great (crash-free!) 2020!

Thanks for the info on the MM refresh program. I did see the other video. But glad this narrows it down.

Reactions: sirbadger
Sorry you had a crash. But I did watch your year-in-review video and thought it was great, even though I do not know your family. I have never seen something like this and I thought it was brilliant! Do you do it every year? Is this a 'thing' now? Do a lot of people do this, or is this the start of something new?

Thanks for sharing and have a great (crash-free!) 2020!

Why, thank you! This is the first of my videos to feature a flying camera. But I’ve done it every year since 2008.

I recommend it as a year-end project. It definitely beats sending 300 cards out. And I treasure the older ones.

Tom

You can still get DJI care package...

This is great info! Thank you for it. I had no idea. You might consider breaking it out into its own topic.

Similar Refresh question I've been pondering. It's easy to select from the DJI retail page- how about from other sellers- DJI authorized or other?
Guessing private sales would have to go through the video verification procedure explained above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard