DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In the field battery charging

I'm still deciding which to buy, battery pack or charger. Maybe both, I like the idea of charging 4 batteries at a time (on ac). and a portable charging station looks really good in the field. My old truck has a huge battery BUT the DJI cigarette charger wants more volts than the truck battery has if the engine is not running, so, it really does not charge unless we are moving from place to place.
We plan day trips and go to multiple places during the day. Multiple battery charges will make the trips more fruitful.
thank you to everyone for your input - its appreciated.
I installed an 800 watt power inverter directly to the battery with a fuse cutoff. Works way better than my 12v because it's getting 110. I have an 09 Tundra

I just picked up a Jackery Solar Generator at Harbor Freight and that works great. This one only has one AC outlet but you get the next size larger which offers two. I got this one mostly for camping where I can charge it during the day from my foldable solar panel and charge all the phones, Ipads at night but have found it very useful.

How long to racharge in the field: Thanks all the cool suggestions and experiences about how. Please advise if you are recharging 1 battery at a time,? for which drone? and the real acid test - how long it takes?? ......

An inverter simply changes the battery's DC power to AC power. It won't reduce the energy demand from your vehicle's battery. I have a Hanatora charger for my M2P. It works on either 12 VDC or 110 AC. To use it in the car, I plan ahead and charge while driving when I can.

Another option might be a large enough foldable solar panel to run the inverter or directly run the 12 VDC charger. A couple of hundred watts should do nicely in full sun.
I have a portable 100watt solar panel with a 1000watt inverter and 200amp 12v battery so I could easily charge my drone batters. I have 2200watt Champion generator and a 12v plug in the back of my Tesla. So I'm good to go.

This thread's a bit old, but it's been covered on the forum many times . . .

Most of the bigger chargers needs 13.1v and when you turn off your cars engine, the voltage drops very fast to resting 12.7v or so.

See this thread

My post 10 shows a simple step converter.

BTW, the 12v chargers for DJI drones really work fast, I find that across the board with 12v charging (other various voltage tool batteries etc), not sure why.

This thread's a bit old, but it's been covered on the forum many times . . .

Most of the bigger chargers needs 13.1v and when you turn off your cars engine, the voltage drops very fast to resting 12.7v or so.

See this thread

My post 10 shows a simple step converter.

BTW, the 12v chargers for DJI drones really work fast, I find that across the board with 12v charging (other various voltage tool batteries etc), not sure why.
I like that gizmo...but wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a couple more batteries?...if you think about it, nothing is going to charge your batteries at home or in the field as fast as you use them from what I can tell

I like that gizmo...but wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a couple more batteries?...if you think about it, nothing is going to charge your batteries at home or in the field as fast as you use them from what I can tell

I used it on extended 4WD trips.
I guess it boils down to how much you're needed the ongoing charging in the field.

That was about AU$30 to make, probably US$5, lol. No more like US$22.
Edit - Just checked, the converter is now US$40, but still cheap with some wire, a plug, etc.

I have 6 batts or the M1P, and do the same as home flight, rotate through in the field (4WDn).
Technically I could have flown just about non stop charging and flying, or managed easily with 4 batts the way we drive, stop, film occasionally.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
@MAvic_South_Oz ...you must have some great videos...let's see some...please

Couple from the biggest trip I ever did, through 5 states of Oz, 17,600km, 5 weeks.
Western Australia is my favourite place for remoteness.

These edited and uploaded from places you can't really make a decent mobile call from, sometimes failing to finish uploading, other times might go through, but in the 720p.

Gives you an idea of Australian outback.

Youtube even munged up my music there ! But I love the sunset colours.

I'm a basic editor, no colour grading.

I only asked for great videos......these are fantastic!...WOW! what scenery of the land and the Ocean...thank you for posting them 🤙
Thanks Mark, nice to get some feedback on them.
I don’t post a lot of vids or pics anywhere, just the YT channel.
Pity those didn’t upload in 1080, but enough to help me and companions remember these places.
Really I was only a drone owner for maybe a year there, hopefully improved a little.
Editing still hasn’t changed much, still iMovie on the phone or iPad, still basic add a music track from DJI editor or YouTube tracks.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I can't really do anything but add music to my videos....I finally found a way to extract music from Youtubes and download just the music and get that onto my videos just using the microsoft my pictures app on my desktop...I have an Ipad and I got the thing to load pictures from an SD card, but I can't figure out how to use it at all

• Haha
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I can't really do anything but add music to my videos....I finally found a way to extract music from Youtubes and download just the music and get that onto my videos just using the microsoft my pictures app on my desktop...I have an Ipad and I got the thing to load pictures from an SD card, but I can't figure out how to use it at all

Same. I have a couple of desktop editors to check out when I get a chance, but quick goes at them seems too hard.
I know I have to get onto YT and watch some tutorials, once started it should get a lot simpler very fast.
I think for in the field, I need a better low priced app to do these mobile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore