DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In the market for Mini 3 "leg" extensions?- A review of 2

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've always flown with leg extensions. So far I've not had to worry about staying under 250g. . The Mini 3 is a departure from their drones that had legs. I elected to buy two versions that I saw, mostly to compare weight. But the weight is the least important difference IMO. The photos from both versions were a bit misleading.

The "skid" type folding extensions appeared to fold flat in the photos with the skids matched bottom to bottom. It turns out that it does not fold flat as they appear to want us to believe. If the bottoms of the skids touch they are way above the body of the unit. When folded as flat as possible, but not flat at all the skids overlap each other. The part that mounts to the rear also rises up and cannot be folded at all.

I subsequently watched a video with the Drone Valley guy and he was demonstrating and hawking the kind wit the actual feet that fold out like little spikes. In the few photos I saw on Amazon I did note the version with the backstrap. The photos didn't show how this version could pack much flatter than the other version. It's 20 grams total and looks more cumbersome to mount than it is.

Bottom line, for me: While I like the clamp-on mounting of the skid type it just doesn't fold flat and is difficult to find space for in the bag or case with the other stuff. I'll probably keep the folding one too as there might be a special use or advantage for it. I just wanted to share my experience for those who are waiting for their Mini 3's to arrive, and like me go into "what can I buy for it" mode.

1658009714877.png

1658009774112.png
1658009808674.png

Attachments

• 1658009763696.png
    1658009763696.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: Torque
I've always flown with leg extensions. So far I've not had to worry about staying under 250g. . The Mini 3 is a departure from their drones that had legs. I elected to buy two versions that I saw, mostly to compare weight. But the weight is the least important difference IMO. The photos from both versions were a bit misleading.

The "skid" type folding extensions appeared to fold flat in the photos with the skids matched bottom to bottom. It turns out that it does not fold flat as they appear to want us to believe. If the bottoms of the skids touch they are way above the body of the unit. When folded as flat as possible, but not flat at all the skids overlap each other. The part that mounts to the rear also rises up and cannot be folded at all.

I subsequently watched a video with the Drone Valley guy and he was demonstrating and hawking the kind wit the actual feet that fold out like little spikes. In the few photos I saw on Amazon I did note the version with the backstrap. The photos didn't show how this version could pack much flatter than the other version. It's 20 grams total and looks more cumbersome to mount than it is.

Bottom line, for me: While I like the clamp-on mounting of the skid type it just doesn't fold flat and is difficult to find space for in the bag or case with the other stuff. I'll probably keep the folding one too as there might be a special use or advantage for it. I just wanted to share my experience for those who are waiting for their Mini 3's to arrive, and like me go into "what can I buy for it" mode.

View attachment 151894

View attachment 151896
View attachment 151897
I have the spike legged one and love it. There are a couple of other reviews here on the forum of those legs.
I've mounted velcro on the top strap to mount my strobe. Very happy with it.

I have the spike legged one and love it. There are a couple of other reviews here on the forum of those legs.
I've mounted velcro on the top strap to mount my strobe. Very happy with it.
Velcro on the top strap? A splendid idea.

At night I will put a clear strobe (ARC V) on top of my drones and often on the bottom too, with red in front and green in the rear. But as a rule, during the day I have been putting a clear strobe on the bottom. A top strobe gives me no visual advantage and is for other aircraft. With my Mini 3, I'll typically fly with two Vifly strobes, red, on the arms and one green on the rear. I've put a strip of velcro on each battery which allows me to place that green strobe.

Reactions: Torque
Velcro on the top strap? A splendid idea.

At night I will put a clear strobe (ARC V) on top of my drones and often on the bottom too, with red in front and green in the rear. But as a rule, during the day I have been putting a clear strobe on the bottom. A top strobe gives me no visual advantage and is for other aircraft. With my Mini 3, I'll typically fly with two Vifly strobes, red, on the arms and one green on the rear. I've put a strip of velcro on each battery which allows me to place that green strobe.
I'm the same, rarely fly when I need that beacon on top. As a result the often unused piece of Velcro would sometimes get gummed up with lint and landing debris. Mounting it on the strap may help keep it cleaner - we will see.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929