DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Incomplete DAT

Kajtek

Reactions
Had anybody have similar problem? My last flight today was not fully recorded in Mavic's DAT file. My phone's TXT file recorded full track of the flight and displayed it on a map. When I downloaded DAT file from Mavic's memory using DJI Assistant 2 and looked with CSVView it showed only last part of the flight. Using Data Converter I exported kml file and gpx file and it confirmed that only last part of the flight was recorded, All other flights today and in the past were recorded in DAT and TXT files and had matched flights trails
If any I would expect that TXT file might be incomplete because phone has to receive data from Mavic to record the flight. DAT is recorded in Mavic and does not depend on connection with the phone. This was before i Upgraded to last firmware. I will check

Are you you're not just looking at the other file that shows the other half of the flight. Flight logs that exceed 400MB get recorded on a new file.

Thanks, I did not know that there was limitation of 450MB.
I looked at all DAT files. The one before named 2017-04-29-14-44_FLY091 is 450MB and has full data of previous Flight and matches record in TXT file on my phone. Next file is 2017-04-29-14-36_FLY092 and is 117MB. What is strange that time stamp of the last flight is 14:46 and the one before is 14:36. Previous files <FLY90 show full data of previous flights and FLY93 has no GPS data.
The last flight FLY092 was 12 min and DAT is 117MB and the FLY091one is 8 min and 450MB. It seems that last flight was too long and the record was split into two files 450MB and 117MB but for some reason the first part that most likely was named FLY092 was overwritten by second part because Mavic assigned the same name FLY092.

I looked at all previous large DAT files that were 450MB and what was strange that all of them included all GPS data and there are no splits (smaller files before or after) that would include partial GPS data. There are not many of this files (I am new Mavic owner) so maybe it was just my luck that all data fit in 450MB and there was no need for splits (in my opinion unlikely).
Is Mavic overwriting splits or It was just one of the unexplained glitches and it will not happen again.
I have to check it next time with long flight and see what happens

I had the same problem today and the DAT file is only 28MB. It recorded only very last part of the flight and landing. I used Drone Harmony and the log in Drone Harmony shows the flight path but only what was in the flight plan. In the past the whole flight path was recorded in DAT (including the Drone Harmony part)
I tried few times to download the DAT file because in the past I noticed that sometimes on the first connection to DJI Assistant the DAT is not complete. There are no other DAT files on today's date that are larger than the 28MB. There are of course few small that are created when MAVIC is turned on during connection to DJI Assistant.

I had the same problem today and the DAT file is only 28MB. It recorded only very last part of the flight and landing. I used Drone Harmony and the log in Drone Harmony shows the flight path but only what was in the flight plan. In the past the whole flight path was recorded in DAT (including the Drone Harmony part)
I tried few times to download the DAT file because in the past I noticed that sometimes on the first connection to DJI Assistant the DAT is not complete. There are no other DAT files on today's date that are larger than the 28MB. There are of course few small that are created when MAVIC is turned on during connection to DJI Assistant.

Hi Kajtek,

Would it be helpful if Drone Harmony also logs your manually executed flights when having DH open? We could add that to our ideas for new features.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on this.

DH Team

Hi Kajtek,

Would it be helpful if Drone Harmony also logs your manually executed flights when having DH open? We could add that to our ideas for new features.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on this.

DH Team
I think it would be helpful but when connection with smartphone is lost then it is crucial that Mavic will continue to log all the data to internal memory. I reported the problem to DJI but their answer was, I quote "Unfortunately, since we are not allowing our customers to use third-party, we highly recommend you to contact the software developer of Drone Harmony in this case. We do not have any access regarding this issue since you've used a third-party application during your last flight."

Is it possible that DH would interfere with Mavic log? I doubt it. I think SDK would not allow it. I think DJI answer was not honest and the main purpose was to discourage people from using third party apps.

Once I have your attention.
1. DH logs are .txt files but in reality are csv. One missing filed is the date and time. The file contains only time counted from start.
2. What is the best program to convert DH log files to kml or gpx file.
3. Is it possible to find the log in the phone's folder? I obtain them from sending them by e-mail to myself, but that requires access to internet.

Andrzej

Hi Kajtek,

Is it possible that DH would interfere with Mavic log? I doubt it. I think SDK would not allow it. I think DJI answer was not honest and the main purpose was to discourage people from using third party apps.
No, DH does not interfere with any on-board logging done by DJI's drones. When the Drone - RC connection is lost, Drone Harmony naturally can't do any logging anymore. In this case the only log files you could rely on are on-board log files.

I think it would be helpful but when connection with smartphone is lost then it is crucial that Mavic will continue to log all the data to internal memory.
Agreed 100%. We will add the extended logging (when user is flying manually) onto our todo list. What Mavic does in terms of on-board logging after the connection is lost, is not in our hands - that's up for DJI to decide.

1. DH logs are .txt files but in reality are csv. One missing filed is the date and time. The file contains only time counted from start.
2. What is the best program to convert DH log files to kml or gpx file.
3. Is it possible to find the log in the phone's folder? I obtain them from sending them by e-mail to myself, but that requires access to internet.

1. Good point, we will look into adding the date to the log files.
2. Flight log compatibility with Airdata is also on our todo list. Phantomhelp Logviewer should already be supported and should facilitate the review of the log files. We have no experience regarding conversion to kml or gpx at the moment, so we can't help you there. May I ask what do you want to do this for?
3. The log files are part of the app data and are not intended for direct file access for technical reasons. Regardless, there is an easy way to access log files which does not involve e-mail: If you have a file explorer (we can recommend FX explorer) installed on your phone, you can directly store logfiles (single or in bulk) to any file directory you want from the log file manager in DH.

Best regards,
DH Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kajtek,

No, DH does not interfere with any on-board logging done by DJI's drones. When the Drone - RC connection is lost, Drone Harmony naturally can't do any logging anymore. In this case the only log files you could rely on are on-board log files.

Agreed 100%. We will add the extended logging (when user is flying manually) onto our todo list. What Mavic does in terms of on-board logging after the connection is lost, is not in our hands - that's up for DJI to decide.

1. Good point, we will look into adding the date to the log files.
2. Flight log compatibility with Airdata and is also on our todo list. Phantomhelp Logviewer should already be supported. That should facilitate the review of the log files. We have no experience regarind converstion to kml or gpx at the moment, so we can't help you there. May I ask what do you want to do this for?
3. The log files are part of the app data and not intended for direct file access for technical reasons. Regardless, there is an easy way to access log files which does not involve e-mail: If you have a file explorer (we can recommend FX explorer) installed on your phone, you can directly store logfiles (single or in bulk) to any file directory you want from the log file manager in DH.

Best regards,
DH Team
First I have to praise DH team for excellent support and fast and straight answers. I see that you not only answer direct questions but you also monitor forums with a goal to improve your already excellent app.

To convert DH log files to kml and gpx I use GPS Prune. I use the kml files to view flights in google earth. Gpx files to load them in my Mapsource. It helps me to see where I was flying and where I have never been.

Thanks again

Andrzej

First I have to praise DH team for excellent support and fast and straight answers. I see that you not only answer direct questions but you also monitor forums with a goal to improve your already excellent app.

To convert DH log files to kml and gpx I use GPS Prune. I use the kml files to view flights in google earth. Gpx files to load them in my Mapsource. It helps me to see where I was flying and where I have never been.

Thanks again

Andrzej

Thanks for letting us know. We added your ideas to our ideas portal. You are welcome to vote there on existing ideas or add your own ideas for new features or improvements.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll