DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inconsistent Acceleration / Top Speed

There seems to be a strong correlation indeed. What is the firmware version of your craft ?

When I powered it on today I received the notice to update to the most recent. I thought I had powered up in Wi-Fi recently and had the latest firmware, but maybe not.
Prior to update.jpg

Scroll to the very bottom and you will see it
View attachment 109851
I seem to have the same version you are using, but even when I use your flight data, I don't have all the options you are seeing.
Screenshot (12).png

It seems that OA: vertLowLimit = true if the ground is within the range of the IR sensor at the bottom, ie, about 9.5 meters. May be it's worth trying to fly with obstacle avoidance and VPS turned off and see under what combination of settings the behaviour will go away.

View attachment 109852

I think I had tried turning off obstacle avoidance, but was not aware of VPS. I'll go back out and test away!

Thanks for sticking with this!

My gf caught Covid, then passed it to me, so I have had a lot more time in the past month or so to fly my drone consistently. My flight skills have gotten better and better as a result. By no stretch am I good, but I have gotten good enough that over the past bit, I am intentionally flying closer and closer to obstacles at higher speeds. When I first started, I had hoped that the tracking would be good enough to film a skier or mountain biker autonomously. I quickly realized there are some situations that it tracks an object pretty well but others where it loses the target quite quickly. As a result, I have been trying to improve my flying skills so that I can manually follow an athlete.

I originally posted as my new skills were, I now think, catching up to the limitations of what the drone was willing to do. I am now pretty convinced that the drone just doesn't want to crash and the algorithm to prevent Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT for the pilot geeks out there) is pretty conservative. When I first started flying, I realized the obstacle avoidance was pretty good and therefore flew the drone way past my abilities assuming it would bail me out if things got a little too hairball. It works great for learning. Unfortunately, once you become a better pilot and proximity flying near obstacles is required to get the shot, the drone steps in to reduce the speed and therefore increase the safety buffer.

I had no inconsistencies with acceleration / top speed at a high altitude, but as soon as I was lower, forward obstacle detection and avoidance seem to prevent fully autonomous pilot controls. A new area I began flying through is essentially a single lane road with approximately 4x4m opening through the foliage. There are times, when I am perfectly centered, with what I would consider a perfect trajectory down the road, where I can get about 15mph or 7m/s. But if I am off at all, the drone throttles back as slow as 5mph or 2m/s and even drifts against controller commands to get itself in a happy place. Once clear of the choke point, it will pick up to max speed pretty consistently. I have come to the realization that the drone just doesn't like looking ahead to see certain death in the forward cams....

After reading around, Drone DJ mentions, " When I need to fly in tight places or near obstacles, the Cinewhoop is the drone for the job." You don't want a Mavic. You want a Cinewhoop - DroneDJ I'm guessing he had run into some of the same issues with obstacle avoidance. I've realized that in order to film like this,
I'll need something other than a Mavic! It has some nice riding and flying. So, while I think I can still use my M2 for "heli" shots of skiers and bikers, but I'll probably be looking into building a cinewhoop or laser for the tighter shots and hope I can avoid plowin' em into something at 40mph!

I really appreciate the time that a few of you took to look into my "problem" and hopefully my recent findings will help anyone that's having a similar issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio