DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Incorrect sign....

Having now seen the ‘park’ and now knowing that the sign you came across was actually just a picture of a sign that someone sent to you, I find your original post to be misleading.

Adlai E. Stevenson High School probably has the right to ban whatever it likes on the grounds, true.
Public liability of a drone crashing onto a weekend sports activity, or crashing into a building or vehicle on the property, that sort of thing.
Many schools are locked up totally after school hours to prevent vandalism.

Reactions: AMann
Save your time and the school some money (they all need it) and just bring a sharpie to fix the sign for them.

Last edited:
I thought it was already established they can't prohibit using the airspace above their property?
Circular thread is circular.

I thought it was already established they can't prohibit using the airspace above their property?
Circular thread is circular.

We all know who has the airspace jurisdiction and the property use rights as well, my suggestion was to cross off the 107 citation on the bottom to fix the sign if OP wants to have it changed.

there is it. drone crashing excuse. :(

Just public liability really, the school or other such enterprise is likely to be sued if something happens on their property, even if caused by someone else.
Happens all the time in all sorts of circumstance, especially in more litigious nations.
Eg. burglar crashes through building roof breaking in, they can sue the building owner if unsafe roof signs weren't in place . . . it's mad I know.

Let's face it, a drone incident is far more likely than a dad and son kicking a ball or playing catch on the grounds.
I know experienced pilots rarely have an issue with control of their aircraft, and fly with common sense and within rules etc, but a lot of new drone owners seek out places like school / park ovals to learn, and that is far more difficult to predict.

Reactions: AMann
Let's face it, a drone incident is far more likely than a dad and son kicking a ball or playing catch on the grounds.
oh it's the dangerous drone and how much serious damage they can do!

anyone else here agree with this statement and therefore support your local public schools to ban drone use on school grounds (year round) due to liability issues? raise your hands. AMann you agree with this? LOL LOL

Cmon Oz, how do we fix this? Force all drone flyers to take out a $million insurance policy, can I fly on the public high school football stadium (that i paid for with taxes) in the middle of summer when school is out and nobody is there at 9am on a Tuesday morning?

anyone else here agree with this statement and therefore support your local public schools to ban drone use on school grounds (year round) due to liability issues? raise your hands. AMann you agree with this? LOL LOL

Cmon Oz, how do we fix this? Force all drone flyers to take out a $million insurance policy, can I fly on the public high school football stadium (that i paid for with taxes) in the middle of summer when school is out and nobody is there at 9am on a Tuesday morning?

I agree the chances of an out of control drone hitting someone or damageable property are slim, mostly they fall / crash onto clear ground and no harm done . . . apart from some likely drone damage and perhaps a little embarrassment if people are nearby to see it happen.

Unless the general public and school admins etc realise this too, the constant bad drone press we see regularly may continue to cause more places to bring in preemptive policies like the sign above . . . but bottom line is they are often private entities (school boards inc) that can put in place whatever policies it wants on it's property.

Some countries do require insurance, maybe that is a way to relieve the concerns of such property owners.

We can try as a hobbyist group to get more good press into play, the DSAR here is a great example, would be nice to see that word spread.

Here in Oz, a 2yo toddler has been lost in the bush in crocodile country in remote north Queensland gulf country.
Helicopters and a couple of drones with FLIR are in use to search.

I appreciate your enthusiasm in stopping the gradual erosion of places to fly, here we have councils banning use from / to council parks etc, it's a major pain in some urban cities / towns.
Typically I don't fly such places in suburban areas, have a few big open parks I like to test fly sometimes, but usually go away from people, buildings, etc to film more interesting subjects.

Well as a technology teacher that uses drones for classes at my school, I’d say yes, strangers do not belong on a locked campus anytime, even on weekends when some teachers are working there by themselves late.

As a taxpayer you should be really happy they lock down the school on weekends all the time; they have been getting hit with massive economic damages In our area because of copper scrappers pulling coils out of air conditioning units on the roof, and even breaking into classrooms to take computers and anything else they can sell on flea bay. The only way to stop this is to pay for a 24 hour guard, which they do. And a taxpayer, should the guard watch you with your drone and other people recreating at the vacant school instead of spending time patrolling campus just to be sure it’s safe? It’s much less costly to lock it up and turn on the motion detectors and have a single guard patrolling several different schools. Anyways, I remember fondly the summer days when I was young and we would go to the unlocked football field to fly kites and gas powered U-line flyers, and we only almost burned one of the buildings when my friend’s smoke bombs set off the hedge near it, and luckily, Edison never charged my parents for fixing those 69Kv lines my kite fried one weekend. Sorry, no support here on that one; schools face a tremendous liability allowing any people to be on campus after hours.

But I do think it would be great if the city established a public area as a flying park where you live, we have one here near our airport and it is fixed site approved by the FAA. Anyone who wants to fly a drone there is welcome as long as they stay on one end of the field away from the runway for the modelers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Well as a technology teacher that uses drones for classes at my school, I’d say yes, strangers do not belong on a locked campus anytime, even on weekends when some teachers are working there by themselves late.

As a taxpayer you should be really happy they lock down the school on weekends all the time; they have been getting hit with massive economic damages In our area because of copper scrappers pulling coils out of air conditioning units on the roof, and even breaking into classrooms to take computers and anything else they can sell on flea bay. The only way to stop this is to pay for a 24 hour guard, which they do. And a taxpayer, should the guard watch you with your drone and other people recreating at the vacant school instead of spending time patrolling campus just to be sure it’s safe? It’s much less costly to lock it up and turn on the motion detectors and have a single guard patrolling several different schools. Anyways, I remember fondly the summer days when I was young and we would go to the unlocked football field to fly kites and gas powered U-line flyers, and we only almost burned one of the buildings when my friend’s smoke bombs set off the hedge near it, and luckily, Edison never charged my parents for fixing those 69Kv lines my kite fried one weekend. Sorry, no support here on that one; schools face a tremendous liability allowing any people to be on campus after hours.

But I do think it would be great if the city established a public area as a flying park where you live, we have one here near our airport and it is fixed site approved by the FAA. Anyone who wants to fly a drone there is welcome as long as they stay on one end of the field away from the runway for the modelers.

so if i stand on the public sidewalk outside the school and i fly my drone over the school property to get video of the baseball field, the soccer fields, the very nice football stadium, the freshly painted parking lots, the back parking lot lined with yellow school busses, the huge mascot i paid for that is erected out front for the entire city to see...."in this day and age" is that ok if i record the school i used to go to?

so if i stand on the public sidewalk outside the school and i fly my drone over the school property to get video of the baseball field, the soccer fields, the very nice football stadium, the freshly painted parking lots, the back parking lot lined with yellow school busses, the huge mascot i paid for that is erected out front for the entire city to see...."in this day and age" is that ok if i record the school i used to go to?

Not if there are kids there, you’ll be rolled like a sushi roll by a mob of angry teachers and parents like they did to some dumb amateur photographer who was shooting towards the field at a nearby school from the sidewalk across the street during recess! :)

Just ask first, and offer them some photos - they may really like them and ask you to do more like this school did for me:

DFFCEEE1-F9B6-4AE4-9674-35D68FAD3627.jpeg

Last edited:
Not if there are kids there, you’ll be rolled like a sushi roll by a mob of angry teachers and parents like they did to some dumb amateur photographer who was shooting towards the field at a nearby school from the sidewalk across the street during recess! :)

Just ask first, and offer them some photos - they may really like them and ask you to do more like this school did for me:

View attachment 74739
nice pic; very cool!

Sounds like a rough neighborhood.

Many schools around here are used as public parks during the summer months when school is not in session.

The bigger issue is that by attempting to regulate unmanned aircraft, the school is violating state law.

There are many circumstances in which I think it is inappropriate to fly at or near a school, but the school district is prohibited ? from enacting policies that regulate the possession or operation of unmanned aircraft (for non-students/staff)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jigjjihhwohekjgh2857