DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Increase Mavic 2 range beyond 8000 meters?

Paul,
8km is max distance 4.97. I don’t think turning off max distance is going to make a difference going out further. You were able to go beyond the said max distance with the Bb2 with stock sc2 which is 2km and you flew almost 4km. (Open field no interference) Guess your just going to have to wait until someone figures out how to jailbreak the mavic 2 pro. Hopefully soon because I know you like to push the limits.

It absolutely does make a difference to turn off max distance. Mavic 2 is good for well over 10 miles range. We've already had one guy fly out 6.2 miles. Check the leaderboard. The radio on mavic 2 is stellar, especially if you use BOOST mode in the "enhanced" DJI go 4.3.0 which you can find if you search.

Last edited:
It absolutely does make a difference to turn off max distance. Mavic 2 is good for well over 10 miles range. We've already had one guy fly out 6.2 miles. Check the leaderboard. The radio on mavic 2 is stellar, especially if you use BOOST mode in the "enhanced" DJI go 4.4.3 which you can find if you search.

Search for what. That doesn’t exist.

It absolutely does make a difference to turn off max distance. Mavic 2 is good for well over 10 miles range. We've already had one guy fly out 6.2 miles. Check the leaderboard. The radio on mavic 2 is stellar, especially if you use BOOST mode in the "enhanced" DJI go 4.3.0 which you can find if you search.
Ok
I see better to turn off. I will keep that I mind.
Thanks

Hello Mavic Pro friends,

Recently purchased the Mavic 2 Pro, amazing piece of equipment. Have a question, hopefully someone can help.

Is there anyway to exceed the preset 8000 meter range? I’ve hit this distance three times, and each time Mavic 2 stopped near the 5 mile mark. Somewhere around 4.97 miles, about 8000 meters.

Is there a setting I can change? Of the three times I’ve hit the 4.97 mile mark, Mavic 2 has battery strength left to go further and return back to launch area.

Appreciate the help,
Paul

How in the world did you get that distance without video dropping out? I can't get 1 mile without the video dropping out on me.

I live in Tampa Florida and we have tons of lakes in addition to the the Gulf of Mexico, so water landing and recovery is something that is of course in every time we take off.

Bearing in mind that I got the DJI coverage for water damage and will be buying the State Farm insurance when the DJI coverage plays out, I've ordered several things to make my flights over water safer and be able to maintain a stronger signal over a longer distance regardless of possible interference.

These skids with optional quick release pontoons have been tested on the surf in Australia and proven on older drones in addition to on a Mavic 2 Pro...

http://www.irepairmd.com/product-page/arris-raptor2-skid-for-the-dji-mavic-2

They also make hand catching 100% safer!

As far as the aircraft's antenna goes, I've ordered the Raptor XR antenna, which is the biggest antenna I've seen and it is made in Poland, NOT CHINA.

Raptor XR / designed for Mavic

4Hawks has recognized that even the best brand of amps have an unacceptable rate of defect, so they are working on offering pre-testing them and making them available as soon as possible. (I'll be buying those from them directly too.)

There is a mod that is being adapted to the Mavic 2s that I've been in communication with an individual that has done it on the previous model Mavic that I will ordering to give greatly increased flight times too.

It won't interfere with the current battery, but instead has a 3d printed side saddle that holds 2 separate rechargeable auxiliary batteries.

I'll share info on this mod then it's available.

Hopefully this will be of value to you.View attachment 45551View attachment 45552View attachment 45553

Ok, does an antenna like this really work? Would it be better for me to try an antenna first to get past that 1 mile marker without losing video or return my Mavic Pro 2 for service first? Without the antenna I should get easily 2 miles out of a flight right? This antenna looks really nice, and easy to install.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I was in the middle of no where near a lake. No high power lines or anything around. Really frustrating I have to send this expensive drone back. Arghhh. Hey, I can always buy another one and try it and see if it does the same thing, right? There is a return policy for a full refund, isn't there?

It didn't matter what the return policy is. As long as it is in warranty I am fine. I bought it through DJI themselves, so I am pretty certain they are an authorized dealer. I already have a service # and will be shipping my drone to them tomorrow. I was going to buy the drone regardless, just made sure it was an authorized dealer. If I'm seeing other flyers getting 2 miles and I can't even get 1, then there must be a hardware issue. I will be testing a line of sight again today with another Iphone and cable. I also have Litchi which I never tried cause I never trusted it. I'm flying over a lake with all trees on the sides for half mile or so. So there shouldn't be any interference at all that could cause only very short distance flying.

Not necessarily. I have not usually gotten to a mile with my P3A nor my M2. At a park near the gulf I have gotten about a mile with my P3 out to the gulf. Haven't tried any distance there with my M2.
My TV and my car's XM receiver can even tell you there's radio interference around these parts. Almost tempted to call FCC. Not for the quads but because of the TV and XM.

Ok, does an antenna like this really work? Would it be better for me to try an antenna first to get past that 1 mile marker without losing video or return my Mavic Pro 2 for service first? Without the antenna I should get easily 2 miles out of a flight right? This antenna looks really nice, and easy to install.
I was having the same problem you described while also flying over a lake.

I can only speculate that a neighborhood ham operator's base radio is to blame...

But, I don't get any warnings and my video doesn't break up anymore with the Raptor XR antenna.

Being fully satisfied with the results so far, I'm in the process of getting what I need to eventually run 2w dual band amps between each of the connectors on the remote to the antenna in prep for eventually figuring out how to mount 2 additional OEM batteries on the aircraft for more flight time.

Last edited:
I was having the same problem you described while also flying over a lake.

I can only speculate that a neighborhood ham operator's base radio is to blame...

But, I don't get any warnings and my video doesn't break up anymore with the Raptor XR antenna.

Being fully satisfied with the results so far, I'm in the process of getting what I need to eventually run 2w dual band amps between each of the connectors on the remote to the antenna in prep for eventually figuring out how to mount 2 additional OEM batteries on the aircraft for more flight time.

Your video doesn't break up anymore when you added the XR antenna? My drone has been at the DJI service center for 2 weeks now and they are replacing the main controller board. I guess they found issues and a faulty board so it is being replaced. The waiting is killing me since this is the perfect time to get some really video with the leaves changing colors, etc.

I've already received the service quotation from DJI about the controller board being changed out. Good. So now maybe I'll be able to fly line of sight over 1 mile without video dropping and having to return to home all the time. Still interested in the XR antenna, but now I'd love to see what the difference is in having the main board changed out.

Has anyone else had their main controller board changed out. I hope DJI isn't doing that just to do it and hopefully they put it to a real world test and it passes.

Last edited:
Your video doesn't break up anymore when you added the XR antenna? My drone has been at the DJI service center for 2 weeks now and they are replacing the main controller board. I guess they found issues and a faulty board so it is being replaced. The waiting is killing me since this is the perfect time to get some really video with the leaves changing colors, etc.

I've already received the service quotation from DJI about the controller board being changed out. Good. So now maybe I'll be able to fly line of sight over 1 mile without video dropping and having to return to home all the time. Still interested in the XR antenna, but now I'd love to see what the difference is in having the main board changed out.

Has anyone else had their main controller board changed out. I hope DJI isn't doing that just to do it and hopefully they put it to a real world test and it passes.
That's right. I now have absolutely stable video and it's wonderful.

I was also getting continuous connectivity warnings, which have completely ceased.

I hope they fix it for you, but I highly recommend the Raptor XR antenna.

It's extremely lightweight despite it's size and has fully met my expectations.

I'm still waiting to settle on a battery and mounting solution for the 2w dual band amps I recieved about a month ago, which I obviously expect to further improve my connectivity.

That's right. I now have absolutely stable video and it's wonderful.

I was also getting continuous connectivity warnings, which have completely ceased.

I hope they fix it for you, but I highly recommend the Raptor XR antenna.

It's extremely lightweight despite it's size and has fully met my expectations.

I'm still waiting to settle on a battery and mounting solution for the 2w dual band amps I recieved about a month ago, which I obviously expect to further improve my connectivity.

Was the antenna easy to install mount? Just found out DJI has test my drone and it has already been shipped and will be here on Friday. Hope we have some good weather over the weekend. I'd love to test it out because I know exactly what spot the video "should" disconnect. Hopefully it will fly right by that point and keep going. I do understand I'll never get the full max distance, but upgrading to that antenna might be a great option for me.

Was the antenna easy to install mount? Just found out DJI has test my drone and it has already been shipped and will be here on Friday. Hope we have some good weather over the weekend. I'd love to test it out because I know exactly what spot the video "should" disconnect. Hopefully it will fly right by that point and keep going. I do understand I'll never get the full max distance, but upgrading to that antenna might be a great option for me.
I've got some PC assembly experience and was able to pull it off by following along with the videos on YouTube for the Mavic 1 remote, just adjusting fire as I went along to figure out the slight differences.

The main difference is in a couple smaller ribbon cables and slightly different connectors for them that made no difference to the antenna you're going to be in there to change.

With a pair of needle nose pliers, I was able to keep from destroying the old antennas while removing them, as was suggested may need to be done by one of those videos.

I always add 4 steps to every project I attack for the first time...

Step one: Make coffee
Step two: Slow down breathing
Step three: Think out every step completely before I make a mistake
Step four: Set up my cheap magnetic parts bowl/tray from Harbor Freight (Fright) for those darn tiny screws that I love to lose by accidentally brushing them off with my arm or laying down a part around them

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine