DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Increased Range - Optimum Height for signal?

tiparoch

Reactions
I had very poor range when I 1st got my MiniP-3...but updates seemed to really help. I use a DJI RC controller. I got all 'updated' and on 18 Sept. dragged my spotter out to a long beach. I finally got someone to help me check my range. I was very pleased to get out to 5km. (5,000 metres). Still had 2-3 bars. What I found interesting was that I had loss of signal 2 times coming back, but not going out. I have a feeling it had to do with aircraft height.

Going out I was at 50 mt. height, basically the whole way. - no low signal warnings.

At turn around (D 5,000mt.) I went up to about 62 mt.

Coming back, very soon, at H 62 mt. I had low signal warning.

To "improve signal" I went up a bit more, but not much help.

@ D 2,536 mt. (distance from home) up H 81 mt. warning

D 1,730 mt. . , H 84 mt. loss of signal for 5-7 sec.

D 1,550 mt. , H 84 mt. loss of signal, auto RTH, regained signal after about 10 seconds.

-----

I was on the same route, out and back within 5-10 metres. I do realize there are all kinds of variables for loss of signal and interference but still...was strange, It was on a beach, at closest a few houses around 300-400 metres, but not many. The closest to houses was actually at D 4,900---5,000 mt. and no problems. I guess reflexively and the prompt on the screen to gain altitude, I went up... but it seemed to make things worse, especially when I was at D 1,550 coming home. Going out at that point I still had full, white bars... Weird. I know it is not scientific. I couldn't fly again as my spotter had had enough... but I am curious of everyone's experience and input.

@tiparoch ,apart from external interference to the signal on the return leg it may have been caused by the position of the antennas in the drone ,one way to confirm this would be to fly out over the same route ,then instead of turning the drone around for the return journey ,just fly back in reverse and see if the signal connection changes on the way back

Tiparoch, I’ve noticed the same with my Mini 3P too. I did the same exercise that old man mavic suggested…it seems the antennas do receive a stronger signal flying away head first and coming back tail first. 🤔 The signals do drop a bar, sometimes 2 bars sporadically when returning head first, but never enough to affect operation.

In the wide open rural areas it’s not so bad if I recall…if at all. I did the exercise at a height of 80 m, 400 m distance, and over a medium to high density urban area. Pretty basic, but with some results…even though the variations are many. 👍

@tiparoch ,apart from external interference to the signal on the return leg it may have been caused by the position of the antennas in the drone ,one way to confirm this would be to fly out over the same route ,then instead of turning the drone around for the return journey ,just fly back in reverse and see if the signal connection changes on the way back
Very good point. Thanks

Reactions: old man mavic
Tiparoch, I’ve noticed the same with my Mini 3P too. I did the same exercise that old man mavic suggested…it seems the antennas do receive a stronger signal flying away head first and coming back tail first. 🤔 The signals do drop a bar, sometimes 2 bars sporadically when returning head first, but never enough to affect operation.

In the wide open rural areas it’s not so bad if I recall…if at all. I did the exercise at a height of 80 m, 400 m distance, and over a medium to high density urban area. Pretty basic, but with some results…even though the variations are many. 👍
Hi thank you for that. Very interesting that head first would be better . A bit counter in tuitive. Thanl you! Will do just that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S