DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Incredible annoyed I got this rather than SE

Reactions
I bought the Mavic Mini a few days ago and it arrived yesterday. I have flown it for a total of 4km and it doesn't do well in wind, and I live in a very windy area. I bought my Mini from Kogan as a refurbished unit for $226USD thinking I was getting a good deal. I checked today and Kogan has dropped the price for their refurbished units to $206USD and I am looking at other retailers around me and they're selling brand new Mini SE drones for sale for $260USD! I am so frustrated with myself I didn't check other retailers and buy the Mini SE instead, the Mavic Mini does so poorly in wind. I would have spent just that bit extra to get the SE if I knew other retailers were selling it at that price.

• Haha
Reactions: Gagey52
Dont focus on the $20 you lost but rather that neither Mini is going to work well for you,
Try to get a nice used Air 2 and you will be ahead of the game. We had a blast with our Air 2 and we fly in some Extreme weather I think you will be much happier . I have picked them up for $400 for clients, not to bad on ebay.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water .

Reactions: dozzn and Gagey52
Dont focus on the $20 you lost but rather that neither Mini is going to work well for you,
Try to get a nice used Air 2 and you will be ahead of the game. We had a blast with our Air 2 and we fly in some Extreme weather I think you will be much happier . I have picked them up for $400 for clients, not to bad on ebay.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water .
Would you rather a Mini 2 or Air 2?

I assume this is your first drone, you get so excited you’ve made the decision, parted with the bucks, and you don’t look at anything else. You get it home and then you start looking around and notice that it was cheaper elsewhere or you get more bang for your bucks with another type or brand.
It happened to me too. But I learnt so much with that little fella, it has led to an almost obsession now.
Learn with your drone and it will lead you to bigger things, that 20 dollars will fade into a distant memory.
Regards

I assume this is your first drone, you get so excited you’ve made the decision, parted with the bucks, and you don’t look at anything else. You get it home and then you start looking around and notice that it was cheaper elsewhere or you get more bang for your bucks with another type or brand.
It happened to me too. But I learnt so much with that little fella, it has led to an almost obsession now.
Learn with your drone and it will lead you to bigger things, that 20 dollars will fade into a distant memory.
Regards
Despite its flaws, I still enjoy flying it. I have only owned it for 2 days and I flew it 4 times today I think, got some close ups of some wallabies too 🤣 My biggest problem apart from wind is range, I can go around 300m in distance before I lose connection and have to RTH. Did you ever face this problem with the Mini? I'm thinking of getting parabolic mirrors and Yagi Uda extenders.

Reactions: eva2000
I bought the Mavic Mini a few days ago and it arrived yesterday. I have flown it for a total of 4km and it doesn't do well in wind, and I live in a very windy area. I bought my Mini from Kogan as a refurbished unit for $226USD thinking I was getting a good deal. I checked today and Kogan has dropped the price for their refurbished units to $206USD and I am looking at other retailers around me and they're selling brand new Mini SE drones for sale for $260USD! I am so frustrated with myself I didn't check other retailers and buy the Mini SE instead, the Mavic Mini does so poorly in wind. I would have spent just that bit extra to get the SE if I knew other retailers were selling it at that price.
Ouch I just bought Mini 2, it's on heavy discount special on Amazon.com.au so might want to check prices there too. You can use https://camelcamelcamel.com/ and browser extension to get alerts for cheapest price of your desired drone. Last week i set price alerts for Mini 2 and Mini SE and on Monday they alerted me to ~10.5% discount - so I nabbed Mini 2 Fly More combo at reduced price of AUD$848 instead of AUD$948! 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro micro sdcards also on discount from AUD$57 to AUD$39 right now too :)

I saw the Kogan reburbs for Mini 1 too while researching my first DJI drone, but after reading reviews and watching Youtube, the Mini SE and Mini 2 are way better - like you said for wind and general control.

edit: Mini SE brand new is down to AUD$378 from AUD$459 at https://www.amazon.com.au/DJI-Mini-SE-FlyCam-Quadcopter/dp/B07FSL9PSW and fly more combo at AUD$526 down from AUD$619 https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B096S2R68Z

And folks mentioned DJI Air 2 is at AUD$1337 down from AUD$1499 https://www.amazon.com.au/DJI-Drone-Quadcopter-Transmission-DJIMVAir2Com/dp/B087MDRF7S/

Last edited:
Ouch I just bought Mini 2, it's on heavy discount special on Amazon.com.au so might want to check prices there too. You can use https://camelcamelcamel.com/ and browser extension to get alerts for cheapest price of your desired drone. Last week i set price alerts for Mini 2 and Mini SE and on Monday they alerted me to ~10.5% discount - so I nabbed Mini 2 Fly More combo at reduced price of AUD$848 instead of AUD$948! 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro micro sdcards also on discount from AUD$57 to AUD$39 right now too :)

I saw the Kogan reburbs for Mini 1 too while researching my first DJI drone, but after reading reviews and watching Youtube, the Mini SE and Mini 2 are way better - like you said for wind and general control.

edit: Mini SE brand new is down to AUD$378 from AUD$459 at https://www.amazon.com.au/DJI-Mini-SE-FlyCam-Quadcopter/dp/B07FSL9PSW and fly more combo at AUD$526 down from AUD$619 https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B096S2R68Z
Thanks for the link, and I usually use the honey extension but I don't have it on my desktop, I'm going to install it now.

And I just found out the reason why the SE and Mini 2 have better wind resistance is due to them being able to tilt more, I see that the Mini 1 can be modded to allow a greater tilt to allow for better control in wind too. I will probably mod my drone.

Haven't used Honey extension but camelcamelcamel I only recently installed and paid off already! Last 10 days or so been looking at prices for Mini SE and Mini 2 but the retailer I was looking at was 5-7 days late in replying to each email/quotes and then got the quotes I asked were for the wrong products on 3 quotes and left out 1 quote altogether, so that delayed my purchase thankfully until Amazon discounts showed up :D

And I just found out the reason why the SE and Mini 2 have better wind resistance is due to them being able to tilt more, I see that the Mini 1 can be modded to allow a greater tilt to allow for better control in wind too. I will probably mod my drone.
I didn't too deep into it just a lot of Youtube videos and reviews say Mini 2 had an upgraded motor and better wind handling than Mini 1 and that Mini SE inherited the Mini 2 upgraded motor. I started with wanting Mini SE but after asking on this forum vs Mini 2, most said Mini 2 better for signal transmission and the controller due to Ocusync 2.0 vs Enhanced wifi on Mini SE.

Haven't used Honey extension but camelcamelcamel I only recently installed and paid off already! Last 10 days or so been looking at prices for Mini SE and Mini 2 but the retailer I was looking at was 5-7 days late in replying to each email/quotes and then got the quotes I asked were for the wrong products on 3 quotes and left out 1 quote altogether, so that delayed my purchase thankfully until Amazon discounts showed up :D

I didn't too deep into it just a lot of Youtube videos and reviews say Mini 2 had an upgraded motor and better wind handling than Mini 1 and that Mini SE inherited the Mini 2 upgraded motor. I started with wanting Mini SE but after asking on this forum vs Mini 2, most said Mini 2 better for signal transmission and the controller due to Ocusync 2.0 vs Enhanced wifi on Mini SE.
The Mini 2 would have been nice to have for that inherent better wind handling and longer range of transmission. But my original thinking was that since the Mini 1 and Mini 2 have the same battery life, there is no use for increased range as you would probably have to force land if you went out that far.

The Mini 2 would have been nice to have for that inherent better wind handling and longer range of transmission. But my original thinking was that since the Mini 1 and Mini 2 have the same battery life, there is no use for increased range as you would probably have to force land if you went out that far.
Yeah true range would ultimately be dependent on battery life!

Had a Mini1 until to took on a cliff and lost!
Waited for the refurbished model like you and when it became available decided to spend a few dollars more and get the SE.
Loved the Mini1 and flew it well over 300m in a range of conditions but the wind was an issue.
SE appears more robust and noisier(?) but will give great value for the dollar spend.
Just relax and enjoy this great hobby no matter what bird you fly.

Had you did some research you would have known the mini didnt
do well in much wind. I bought one when they first came out to
see if what I was reading and they were right. Since then I gifted it
and moved on. The best drone I have had was the M2P and just gifted it. Want a M3P and maybe a mini 3. Have had about all DJI
has and do like the Mavics the best. Did have a lot of fun with all
though. It’s a learning process.
Even tryed the FPV and I just couldn’t fly with Googles.
kept falling over 😀👍

Update: I bought the Mini SE Fly More Combo for $527 AUD and I have sent back the Mavic Mini to Kogan as I felt as though it was having range issues, hopefully I get my refund deposited soon. I haven't flown the SE yet

Reactions: eva2000

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98