DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor Flying Mavic 2 Pro

robgallo

Reactions
I need to fly indoors at steel factory. Clearly i will not have gps.

Can an experienced flyer please recommend the best settings?

I have had some very close calls in the past.

Learn how to fly in ATTI mode outdoors (without obstacles). Do it slowly and spend some time practicing. Then move indoors and practice more. The good thing about indoors is that the breezes will be more mild / controlled.

The Mavic 2 doesn't have ATTI mode built in, but you can change that with some effort. Here are some threads / video on the topic:

If you fly without this mod, you will likely get ATTI mode indoors if satellite reception is poor, but since you're not really controlling that, you can't be sure if GPS mode will occasionally kick in.

SPOTTER: When you do the actual shoot, use a spotter, who will be someone who will not be distracted by flying or looking at the FPV screen, but someone whose job it is to simply stare at the aircraft and warn you when there's a danger.

Chris

Learn how to fly in ATTI mode outdoors (without obstacles). Do it slowly and spend some time practicing. Then move indoors and practice more. The good thing about indoors is that the breezes will be more mild / controlled.

The Mavic 2 doesn't have ATTI mode built in, but you can change that with some effort. Here are some threads / video on the topic:

If you fly without this mod, you will likely get ATTI mode indoors if satellite reception is poor, but since you're not really controlling that, you can't be sure if GPS mode will occasionally kick in.

SPOTTER: When you do the actual shoot, use a spotter, who will be someone who will not be distracted by flying or looking at the FPV screen, but someone whose job it is to simply stare at the aircraft and warn you when there's a danger.

Chris
Do you know if "TRIPOD" mode still exists?

This is the Mavic 2 forum, so the general answer is Yes, the M2 models come with Tripod mode out of the box.

The ATTI mode changes to the M2 models that you can do in the above mentioned video / links will allow you to over-ride either the T (tripod) or S (sport) positions on your controllers P/T/S switch. You have to sacrifice one of them to dedicate it to full manual ATTI mode.

If you are thinking about Tripod mode in respect to the new Mavic 3 model, the answer is: No, it doesn't come with Tripod mode out of the box. There are efforts to get DJI to change that.

Chris

f you fly without this mod, you will likely get ATTI mode indoors if satellite reception is poor, b
Just a point, the Mavic 2 Pro flies perfectly happily indoors without GPS PROVIDING the lighting is sufficient to allow the downward looking sensors to work, I do it all the time, I forget the corresponding flycState.
There is a severe height restriction, 5m?, without GPS and there may be a severe range limit too. My, at home but outside, takeoff point is in GPS shadow and I have to put the drone into the air to get GPS. I hit that ceiling nearly every time, it disappears once the drone has adequate GPS. I may have also hit the range limit but I do not normally fly the drone more than 20 to 30 ft away whilst waiting for adequate GPS.

Questions.
Is the presence of large quantities of steel likely to screw up the local magnetic field and or the drones's compass?
If so will ATTI mode ignore any compass problems in the drone?
Will ATTI mode ignore the range and height limits that I mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:

This is the Mavic 2 forum, so the general answer is Yes, t

Just a point, the Mavic 2 Pro flies perfectly happily indoors without GPS PROVIDING the lighting is sufficient to allow the downward looking sensors to work, I do it all the time, I forget the corresponding flycState.
There is a severe height restriction, 5m?, without GPS and there may be a severe range limit too. My at home but outside takeoff point is in GPS shadow and I have to put the drone into the air to get GPS. I hit that ceiling nearly every time, it disappears once the drone has adequate GPS. I may have also hit the range limit but I do not normally fly the drone more than 20 to 30 ft away whilst waiting for adequate GPS.

Questions.
Is the presence of large quantities of steel likely to screw up the local magnetic field and or the drones's compass?
If so will ATTI mode ignore any compass problems in the drone?
Will ATTI mode ignore the range and height limits that I mentioned?
Thanks a mil PhiliusFoggg.

Reactions: TTP
This is the Mavic 2 forum, so the general answer is Yes, the M2 models come with Tripod mode out of the box.

The ATTI mode changes to the M2 models that you can do in the above mentioned video / links will allow you to over-ride either the T (tripod) or S (sport) positions on your controllers P/T/S switch. You have to sacrifice one of them to dedicate it to full manual ATTI mode.

If you are thinking about Tripod mode in respect to the new Mavic 3 model, the answer is: No, it doesn't come with Tripod mode out of the box. There are efforts to get DJI to change that.

Chris
Thanks Chris.

I filmed a video for a friend of mine who owned a warehouse with my Mavic 2 Pro. OMG, so many obstacles, it was definitely an accident waiting to happen (so of course I couldn't resist). I changed RTH to hover and disabled obstacle avoidance. I used tripod mode as I did not want my movements to be very fast. I flew in between the rows of high shelves with electronic parts all around me. Flew above the shelves, filmed the workers, etc. All went well, no issues.

However, in the end I just had to fly through the fork lift (after all I had done so well up to this point). As I entered the forklift, I made a small mis calculation and did a soft crash on the seat of the forklift. No damage (Whew!). That was it for me, it was time to that my M2P and go home. Overall, it was a lot of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851