DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor photography in a church

JimSteadman

Reactions
I am doing a photographic essay on a large church and have been given permission to use my Mavic Air to get interior shots. I put it up, but could not get it go much beyond 15 feet high. Of course, I want to be very careful and have identified all the hanging lights, the pillars etc. I have put the 'guards' back on to protect the drone and the religious items inside, but there is a spectacular set of stained glass windows above the altar which are partially obstructed by the top of the altar structure. If I can get above that altitude I can get the shots I want. I suppose the way to do that is to turn off the vertical obstacle avoidance. I am not sure how to do that, but I also want to make sure that I don't get all the way up to the roof level - there is plenty of space here. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

... I suppose the way to do that is to turn off the vertical obstacle avoidance. I am not sure how to do that ....

I don't have the Air 2 but from what I have read, you cannot turn off the sensors at the bottom. You may try covering up the cameras at the bottom with tapes but then the craft will lose vision positioning and drift around when hovering. You will need quite a lot of practice to fly it in that mode.

Even if you can do it, the max height will still be limited to 98 ft.

1602083816804.png

The other way is to launch the craft from the top of a tall ladder or pole if that can be arranged.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
it is usual for the pulpit to be quite high up in a church could you hand launch from there

Reactions: Thomas B
I have done it with a P3P, one of the most difficult flying conditions.
A visual observer (VO) is a must.
Sensors become a liability.
Don’t fly close to walls because of turbulence from the props.
The higher you fly the more stable the drone gets, but watch that ceiling. This is where the VO comes in.
It took me 3 attempts to get it right. For me it was white knuckle flying as there are very few options if things go wrong.
Take it slow & easy & plan the flights.

Good luck

Prop guards might be good idea. My maxim on equipment is typically "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

Reactions: esco
I’d recommend propeller guards for all indoor flying. The drone acknowledges that guards are on and reduces some of its capabilities, making it easier to navigate in tight spaces. Also, turn off the obstacle avoidance sensors, fly in tripod mode and use smooth stick movements.

Reactions: esco
The new firmware version v01.00.0460 has optimized the downward vision positioning system to increase the height limit to 30 meters (100 ft.).

1605840857842.png

Last edited:
The new firmware version v01.00.0460 has optimized the downward vision positioning system to increase the height limit to 30 meters (100 ft.).

View attachment 117496

Which is confusing since the original manual (1.0) already claimed an operating range up to 60m:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 11.05.12 PM.png

Any update on this project?
No. I know that my Mavic Air warns me when I fly below trees and assumed there was some sort of upward sensor, but that appears not to be the case. I have enabled the tripod mode which slows all movement and provides greater control, but I have not again attempted inside photography with it. Perhaps in the upcoming week.

B758C0BF-AD79-47E8-BAF4-68ED72671BC9.jpeg94620A4E-B3AF-4458-9F39-67BFC5054020.jpeg9261FD78-8376-43C3-8727-CC144AC1E317.jpeg
actually it’s not too difficult. I took these in my church using a Mavic 2 Pro. But the Mavic 2 Pro has vision sensors. I also did a video where I flew my drone into the auditorium like how a person would walk in. For that I flew in Sport mode as I needed to turn all the sensors off so that it would allow me to go through the door frame. There’s no wind inside so it was pretty ok:)

That's the sensor capability. Whether the flight controller allows you to fly that high is a different thing.

Well there was more language from version 1.0 of the manual that specified that the downward vision sensors are enabled up to 30 meters. This doesn't seem to be just talking about the technical ability of the sensor here:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 10.14.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 10.14.30 AM.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 9
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne