DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inexperienced Zoom operator.

jgallo1

Reactions
Not sure I have seen this talked about yet, but I recently purchased a Zoom camera to use on my M2PRO. I have found that it is not very practical the way the exposure changes radically when you zoom. The exposure can be perfect until you zoom, then it gets so dark it's unusable. Not sure if there is something that I don't understand.

Not sure I have seen this talked about yet, but I recently purchased a Zoom camera to use on my M2PRO. I have found that it is not very practical the way the exposure changes radically when you zoom. The exposure can be perfect until you zoom, then it gets so dark it's unusable. Not sure if there is something that I don't understand.
The reason for this is that the M2Z doesn't have a fix aperture through out the zoom range ... from the spec. Aperture: f/2.8 (24 mm)–f/3.8 (48 mm)
If you have set shutter priority to have the shutter fixed due to using ND's to film according to the 180 degree rule ... and zoom, the shutter remains but the aperture change & let less light in & resulting in a underexposure.

Try putting the camera to aperture priority instead ... that will slow down the shutter when the aperture value becomes larger when you zoom in, all resulting in the same amount light entering in & the exposure remains.

The reason for this is that the M2Z doesn't have a fix aperture through out the zoom range ... from the spec. Aperture: f/2.8 (24 mm)–f/3.8 (48 mm)
If you have set shutter priority to have the shutter fixed due to using ND's to film according to the 180 degree rule ... and zoom, the shutter remains but the aperture change & let less light in & resulting in a underexposure.

Try putting the camera to aperture priority instead ... that will slow down the shutter when the aperture value becomes larger when you zoom in, all resulting in the same amount light entering in & the exposure remains.
Right on. In fact most consumer zoom Lenses do the same thing. You can see the aperture range written on the side of the lens. Also, Set your iso high enough to make sure your shutter won’t be too slow as you zoom in. Easy to test the shot quickly before you start recording.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman