DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insane Drone Flying Skills

Meh, no skills at all, just a bunch of zoomed-in pixelated shots...

Just kidding, it's awesome

I rather not crash my expensive Mavic, it has a purpose and it isn't acrobatic flying. I would prefer to risk learning acro flying on a cheaper drone.
they all build their own using carbon fiber bodies that are two plates of carbon in a cross shape. There are two cameras. One for the live feed back to the FPV goggles, and one for the video - usually go pro camera.
You have to know how to repair in the field including soldering as the learning curve is steep.
I think the batteries have a 5 minute flight time but are much less expensive than DJI's intelligent flight batteries.

There is also a lot of Hollywood film editing here which can take somewhat ordinary videos to higher levels. The short segments tells a lot.

Wow! That is incredible flying!

What kind of drone do you need for that kind of footage? Wow. I dont think MP2 Could do all that, can it??

In FPV flying like this, you learn on a simulator and crash, and crash, and crash, and crash, etc. lol. Or spend a ton of money crashing, and crashing, and crashing, and crashing. Eventually you get it right.

This is all Acro flying too. It's the weirdest thing to get started in if you are coming from stabilized flight, but once you do it's really neat and you can do things stabilized will never let you do. I started learning Acro in a free sim call FPV Freerider about a year ago, then finally just spent the $20 and got Liftoff from Steam. It's a great sim to learn this type of stuff.
Yeah I'm still humbled by Liftoff - some days I despair of getting there...
Got 2 5" quads in the works...

What kind of drone do you need for that kind of footage? Wow. I dont think MP2 Could do all that, can it??
It's called Freestyle and they use a 5" racing style quad with a GoPro Hero mounted on top for thefootage. There's a separate lo-res FPV camera that they use with goggles for the immersive flying part of it. You simply can't fly like that without having the FPV perspective.

Reactions: Steve K
so, very cool. Did that lion at end of the clip take out the drone that was filming? Perhaps not I’ve you got the shot.

I was thinking “he looks like he is weighing up about going underneath that train....no way” then BOOM!
Possibly some clever editing as he came out the other side?

How do we learn to do some of that stuff? Is it all in stck control coordination? How does he avoid crashing?

He doesn't avoid crashing... Many of those clips ended in a crash - think about it, if he was practicing just a few of these flights, he crashed... How long would it take for you & I to learn how to do that without crashing... Darn good "editing"... IMHO...

Reactions: Inspirephil
It was this forum that got me started in FPV flying.

Do you remember that crazy dangerous video of the guy chasing a commercial flight landing near Vegas? Many here said it had to be fake. They said no one could fly like that with a drone. Someone else said that it could easily be done with an FPV drone. I googled it and was amazed at what folks were doing with FPV. I have no interest in chasing planes, but the rest of the sport looked VERY cool. Hence the new equipment purchases have restarted......

It's an entirely different type of flying than the Mavic. My Mavic is all about awesome stable videos and images being within the reach of a novice pilot. FPV (for me) is all about developing crazy flying skills.

I baby and protect my Mavic, yet with my FPV equipment the motto is "Fly, Crash, Repair, Repeat".

I have a small drone (Snapper7) for going nuts in the house. (It's awesome for winter, rainy days, etc) and I'm replacing my now deceased Walkera Rodeo 110 with a Fullspeed Leader 3SE (3" drone) for flying outside.

Some advantages to these over my Mavic are:
  • Neither of these drones is near the FAA registration required weight which is a plus.
  • When I fly near people they don't freak out and think that I'm spying on them. They think of it like a child's toy.
  • I'm completely at ease flying the Snapper7 inside. I wouldn't think of flying my Mavic indoors.
  • I don't tend to fly the Mavic unless there is something that I want to film. I fly the FPV drones just for the fun of actually flying.
  • I now know how to solder about 10,000% better than before. (Trust me, if you get into FPV you will be taking up soldering as a hobby too!)
  • My crash inspired repair work has taught me so much about what actually makes a drone fly. I actually went out and dismantled my Simtoo Dragonfly (a pre Mavic "lets save money" mistake) and rebuilt it on a new carbon fiber frame with my son. We had a blast and it actually flies!
A disadvantage is that I have to remember when flying the Mavic that moving the left stick up doesn't make it go FASTER, it makes it go HIGHER. (Thank goodness for being able to set a 400' altitude limit.....)

It's another fun avenue of this hobby to explore. I have a LONG, LONG, LONG way to go before I will be remotely good at it, but it is a very fun ride! If you haven't tried it, you can get a small indoor drone, a decent controller, and some beginner goggles for about the price of a Spark/Air. You'll have a blast and you can drive your family and pets crazy!

Peter T.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes