DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance for an under 18???

Sam_B

Reactions
Any recommendations for insurance for a Mavic mini for an under 18 year old?? My old Mavic mini had a malfunction and crashed into a river (see my other thread) so I have learnt my lesson and am getting insurance for my next one. (Because £300 is still a lot of money for me - and I also want liability cover).

How about DJI Refresh?
The problem with DJI Car Refresh (which the second hand one I have just bought does have) it's that 1. You have to recover the drone (and send it to them) for them to give you a replacement and 2. It doesn't give you any liability cover.

I know for the MA2 that's not the case for flyaways now...as long as you sink there drone to your controller. They just changed that here at least on this side of the pond.

I know for the MA2 that's not the case for flyaways now...as long as you sink there drone to your controller. They just changed that here at least on this side of the pond.
Yes,
The Mini 2 and the Air 2 now have flyaway cover (with a high premium) but that's no use to me with the MM unfortunately.

Just a point, your postcode is a bit too detailed, I would suggest deleting the last 3 characters

IMHO the regular Mavic Mini is too inexpensive to even consider worrying with insurance. I mean it’s pretty proven that as long as you are careful and a little conservative flying in this winter weather the drone behaves as it should.

The OP might be concerned about 3rd party cover, which is a praise worthy consideration. Besides which, to an under 18 year old £400 (new flymore price) may still be a substantial sum of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read my earlier message, £400 is definitely a lot of money for me (I know it's still cheap for a drone). And my old Mavic Mini just crashed into a river out of no fault of my own (and for a reason that we'll never know). So for around £100, if I can get insurance that covers the price of the drone and gives me some 3rd party liability cover, that would be excellent.
I have been doing a bit of research, but was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
Companies like Coverdrone say that you have to be 18 when you put your date of birth in.

If you still live with your parents could one of them insure it and add you as a named 'pilot'? Do they have an operator's ID etc.?

If you read my earlier message, £400 is definitely a lot of money for me (I know it's still cheap for a drone). And my old Mavic Mini just crashed into a river out of no fault of my own (and for a reason that we'll never know). So for around £100, if I can get insurance that covers the price of the drone and gives me some 3rd party liability cover, that would be excellent.
I have been doing a bit of research, but was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
Companies like Coverdrone say that you have to be 18 when you put your date of birth in.

Crashed thru no fault of your own? How did you / DJI determine that? Just asking, as if that is YOU stating it - then that may not be the case.

You can post your flight files here and the pro droners here can look at them to determine what exactly happened. Many pilots SAY they did nothing wrong, when in actuality they did. Not saying that is YOUR case, as from the tiny bit posted - there were no files posted to verify.

Did you contact DJI and they requested the files to determine cause? If the drone crashed due to aircraft malfunction and is irretrievable - then DJI should replace if you had refresh and it was active - at least what I know about Refresh.

Being in the UK - most of us US based folks would have no clue on replacement insurance, but your UK buddies should, if available.

I'll be looking into 3rd Party Insurance as well here in the US, since DJI is super selective on replacing drones under Refresh and mine runs out shortly.

Maybe calling some of your local insurance people - that you or your parents have other kinds like auto, home, etc. - they may offer it.

DJI Refresh / Flyaway Care is not ALL inclusive. Trust us whom have dealt with DJI on the subject. The experience I have had along with others says Refresh is not a good deal, while 3rd Party Insurance may be far better. DJI is super slow in responding during Covid and you send them all your data files. They look at the files to determine whether pilot or equipment error. If any hint of pilot error is noted - you lose. That's why reading about what refresh covers is important.

Plus the really good pilots here can look at those files too - to see what happened, so you have some idea before dealing with DJI.

DJI drones are great, just not their customer service experience. 3rd Party insurance pretty much eliminates all that and you can get another drone and be flying in no time versus what could be a month or more with DJI.

Any recommendations for insurance for a Mavic mini for an under 18 year old?? My old Mavic mini had a malfunction and crashed into a river (see my other thread) so I have learnt my lesson and am getting insurance for my next one. (Because £300 is still a lot of money for me - and I also want liability cover).
Try the Academy of Mod Aircraft. $70/yr membership includes drone coverage, personal injury and 2 million dollars liability.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

If you look at my other thread, you can see all of the files/flight logs/cached footage of the 'crash'.

DJI never got back to me when I contacted them about the files, and unfortunately it is irretrievable (at the bottom of a fast flowing, cold river). And even if it was retrievable, I didn't have DJI Care Refresh because I bought it second hand 4 weeks ago today (3 weeks before the crash).

Try the Academy of Mod Aircraft. $70/yr membership includes drone coverage, personal injury and 2 million dollars liability.
Could you send me a link please!!
That sounds like a lot better deal than what I had seen (half the price of other insurers)!
Hopefully it's not just an American thing!

Could you send me a link please!!
That sounds like a lot better deal than what I had seen (half the price of other insurers)!
Hopefully it's not just an American thing!
Start on there homepage:

Reactions: Sam_B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78