DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance

Will Cheyney

Reactions
Does anyone here insure their quad (non-commercial) with any other service other than DJI's Refresh?
I'm assessing the possibility of getting something for accidental cover but not really sure where to start.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks.

Some renters/homeowners insurance companies have cheap add on policies for electronics with low deductibles. Usually covers theft and loss as well. You should also check out how much liability coverage your homeowners insurance covers. I'm at 300k and just got a 1M umbrella policy. Mainly obtained for other reasons, but nice having that assurance just in case.

Does anyone here insure their quad (non-commercial) with any other service other than DJI's Refresh?
I'm assessing the possibility of getting something for accidental cover but not really sure where to start.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks.
State Farm offers a Personal Article plan approx $60 per year

I'm not sure you even need a paf, it should be covered under your home or renters for theft at least just like any of ur personal property(minus ur ded). Not sure if either one will cover for fly aways, of course you can always say it was stolen. Lol.

Liab follows you too, whether you're flying your drone or not.

I'm not sure you even need a paf, it should be covered under your home or renters for theft at least just like any of ur personal property(minus ur ded). Not sure if either one will cover for fly aways, of course you can always say it was stolen. Lol.

Liab follows you too, whether you're flying your drone or not.
This wasn't the fact with State Farm...My homeowners would cover me if it was stolen, but not covered if damaged.

This wasn't the fact with State Farm...My homeowners would cover me if it was stolen, but not covered if damaged.
Good to know. So the paf will cover for damages too.?

I called my State Farm rep here in California ... he said because it is registered with the FAA it's considered an aircraft and they cannot insure aircrafts. Anyone have a contact here in California I can get in touch with? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I called my State Farm rep here in California ... he said because it is registered with the FAA it's considered an aircraft and they cannot insure aircrafts. Anyone have a contact here in California I can get in touch with? Thanks!

How did he know it was registered?

How did he know it was registered?

He had a couple people ask already I guess. He brought it up to his manager again and they said it's a no go. I'm wondering if I can go cross state to get insurance.... is that a thing?

Edit: and I should have known you were out of state with the no helmet in the avatar... makes me miss my road king I sold last year :/

Just call another
State Farm agent in your area. There are lots of various offices and tell them its a "hobby drone". You got an office that are being hardasses for whatever reason.

Same here - Although I didn't get those details, it was very clear that they do no offer this policy in the state of California.

Same here - Although I didn't get those details, it was very clear that they do no offer this policy in the state of California.

I just got off the phone with an insurance broker in Torrance, CA. She said that one of her coworkers has written a personal article policy for a drone before but he is out of the office until tomorrow. I'll definitely get back to you once I hear from them.

I do remember reading when added Personal Article to my policy that it differed state to state.

Keep in mind if it flys away to be covered the insuaracne company will require you to file a police report, filing a false theft report is a crime, the State farm or H/O insurance is not an option without comiting a crime. If it did fly away calling the Police may open you to further liability if it damaged anything (assuming none or hidden registration identification.

That is not an option.

I contacted state farm about a standalone policy today for $1000 for my Mavic and they quoted me $30 for a year with no deductible. I asked if it covered accidental damage, damage due to mechanical failure, and "fly-aways" or being lost in a lake. He told me yes to all. He's writing it up now (what the heck does that mean?) and will contact me tomorrow. I'm skeptical flyaways would really be covered. I lead with wanting to insure an "aerial camera". He asked if it was a drone, I replied yes, and we went from there. In all honesty, it sounds too good to be true. Has anyone filed a claim yet?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie