DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Intelligent flight modes?

rank amature

Reactions
I'm new to flying and bought a m2pro to use as a video camera with a moving tripod. As a one man band trying to make documentaries, I've been stuck on a tripod and want to get motion into my shots. I'm not all that interested in being high up in the sky, but will use it for very low level shots as if on a dolly or rails or a crane. I often want the drone to move just 10 or 15 feet, and of course I'd like it to move slowly and steadily. I'd like it to run on an intelligent mode, but the sensors are always stopping it as it's close to the ground and other objects. For instance, tap-to-fly would often work as I can see a clear path for it to fly, but it will only work with all the sensors on. So my question is, is there any reason DJI couldn't easily give you the same intelligent modes that dont require sensors being on, and yes, the pilot would assume all responsibility for not crashing into things, as he or she does when not using sensors? It would seem simple to do, but perhaps there is more to it than I imagine. It sure would make filming a lot easier and predictable for what I do. Any thoughts greatly appreciated! Thanks-

Yes - I know I can turn them off, but when you pick an intelligent flight mode it turns them on again. Are you saying you can keep them off in an itf mode? I haven't seen that setting. Thanks!

Can't you just fly without using and intelligent mode or in tripod mode with a little practice you should be able to do a low orbit or low level side on fly by

You could also adjust your expo settings to take the sensitivity out of the controls

Yes - that is what I am doing and I've set the controls to reduce the sensitivity, and of course, I admit I need a lot more practice, but it seems to me that since the drone is capable of doing things better on it's own through software, why shouldn't we take advantage of it? So with tap-to-fly, I can set it to fly evenly and smoothly to a distant target. Even with practice, it will generally yield better video than doing it by hand. If DJI allowed tap-to-fly without sensors on, it would allow me to also fly through a straight opening in the forest just as evenly. The question was actually - is there a technical reason they would find that hard to do? Thanks for your thoughts- greatly appreciated!

DJI does it for safety reasons. In Intelligent modes, the drone is flying all by itself. If something goes wrong resulting in people being hurt or properties being damaged, DJI will be held responsible. Having all obstacle avoidance sensors on is to minimize the chance for that to happen.

Yes - I know I can turn them off, but when you pick an intelligent flight mode it turns them on again. Are you saying you can keep them off in an itf mode? I haven't seen that setting. Thanks!
You are right about that. Let me do some research to see if there is any way around it.

It might be worth a shot to contact NLD.

DJI does it for safety reasons. In Intelligent modes, the drone is flying all by itself. If something goes wrong resulting in people being hurt or properties being damaged, DJI will be held responsible. Having all obstacle avoidance sensors on is to minimize the chance for that to happen.

DJI won’t be held responsible at all. Responsibility entirely belongs with the operator of the drone regardless of how it is flown.

Thank you all for your thoughts! I guess I should just ask DJI why they can't do it, but it seems like most people who try to deal directly with them dont get too far? I suppose it couldn't hurt though. I imagine there are a million things people would like to see in their software! Thanks again everyone for your help and safe skies to you-

I fly with all the sensors off, all the time, but I also don't use the intelligent flight modes very often, so this may not work at all, but I wonder what would happen if you started with all sensors off in 'normal' mode with the sensors covered over with dark tape. Then select your desired flight mode and see what happens.

Reactions: sonof40
I have a similar issue but it isn't about turning off the sensors. It's about architectural video. Is there a way to use "Circle" and fly only about a +-90 degree arc, using the architectural subject as POI? I can't find any tutorials that help me.

I have an architectural subject, which is obviously static, (unless there's a tornado). All I want to do is slow cinematic arc low to the ground, clear of obstacles.I need more precise control of the M2P so that it can be my different kind of tripods. I hope I'm being clear. Thanks for any help.

I have a similar issue but it isn't about turning off the sensors. It's about architectural video. Is there a way to use "Circle" and fly only about a +-90 degree arc, using the architectural subject as POI? I can't find any tutorials that help me.

I have an architectural subject, which is obviously static, (unless there's a tornado). All I want to do is slow cinematic arc low to the ground, clear of obstacles.I need more precise control of the M2P so that it can be my different kind of tripods. I hope I'm being clear. Thanks for any help.

Set it to fly in circle mode. Then watching the screen with one eye and the drone with the other... you know what I mean! When it has done your 100 degrees (a bit each end for clipping off) simply cancel the order. Press the pause button on the controller and the drone will stop and hover until you tell it to do spomething else.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom