DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interference test before flight

kentdavidge

Reactions
A guy on YouTube (see below) advises us to buy a detector of electric and magnetic fields to check for interference before flight. Ok, it sounds obvious that if the background electromagnetic field (EM field) is too strong, chances are it will affect the RC-drone communication in a stronger manner. However the YouTube guy says that if the electric field strength is higher than 40 V/m, then we better find another area to fly our drone. This makes no sense to me, since the 40 V/m limit is apparently just convention for health effects on the human body due to radiation. Nowhere I found that 40 V/m is a threshold for RC-drone communication quality.

Any thoughts on this?

YouTube video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Link to the EM detector recommended in the video: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005477658084.html

The problem I forsee with testing at the launch point is that the interference varies from place to place and by its very nature the drone is flown from place to place.
So it may take off 'in the clear' but fly into interference elsewhere.
I have seen at least one flight log from a troubled flight where the log, from memory, explicitly reported interference at the drone's location, in other places during that flight everything was fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: kentdavidge
A guy on YouTube (see below) advises us to buy a detector of electric and magnetic fields to check for interference before flight. Ok, it sounds obvious that if the background electromagnetic field (EM field) is too strong, chances are it will affect the RC-drone communication in a stronger manner. However the YouTube guy says that if the electric field strength is higher than 40 V/m, then we better find another area to fly our drone. This makes no sense to me, since the 40 V/m limit is apparently just convention for health effects on the human body due to radiation. Nowhere I found that 40 V/m is a threshold for RC-drone communication quality.

Any thoughts on this?

YouTube video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Link to the EM detector recommended in the video: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005477658084.html
Before I spin the motors up, I always switch to the 'transmission' tab to check:
a) what frequency the drone/controller has settled on, and
b) what the live graph is showing regarding peaks or relative flatline.
If peaking is occurring, I'll manually switch to the alternate band to see which is clearer.

I did consider the EM field tester as an option: but after a lot of research worked out it was practically useless, they're more geared towards panicking hypochondriacs and pandering to idiots who like to call themselves 'ghosthunters'.

The background EM bleed would have to be through the roof before it got to the level where I think it might attenuate a drone/controller transmission (HIRTA areas for example).

Pay attention to competing signals on 2.4 and 5.8.... they're the ones that will cause immediate problems.

I have been flying drones for many years. I wouldn't waste my money on a detector. With the lastest drones on the market, you will get a message saying that there is magnetic interference. All you need to do is move the drone to a different location.

Wow, the ignorance displayed in that YT video is profound. Several people here are a bit misinformed as well.

An electric field is a very different animal than electromagnetic radiation. The latter is an oscillating EMF, and there are always both an oscillating electric and magnetic field, as due to relativity one creates the other.

In any case, a static electric field carries no energy, will not result in parasitic signals being picked up by the traces on the logic boards in the drone, will not interfere with the magnetic flux compass, nor cause any other interference with the drone at levels that are safe for people.

And anywhere there are capacitors or other mega-scale electrical components (usually around power, radar, and other such facilities) there will be fencing and lots of explicit warnings about strong electric fields.

This is a silly waste of money and concern. The dearth of problems reported in the drone community is scant for a good reason: The risk is nearly nonexistent.

Worry about getting struck by a meteor, or a high-power transmission line falling on your head. Much greater risk than adversity due to an electric field.

Now, a magnetic field is an entirely different matter. That will interfere with the compass, and at pretty low strength. But you don't need some fancy instrument for that... Thr drone can detect it, and warn you to move.

Pay attention to competing signals on 2.4 and 5.8.... they're the ones that will cause immediate problems.

And talk of frequencies in the context of an electric field is pure ignorance, tested at 99.999% purity 🤣

(not referring to you, @Felix le Chat, the YT dude).

And talk of frequencies in the context of an electric field is pure ignorance, tested at 99.999% purity 🤣

(not referring to you, @Felix le Chat, the YT dude).
Anything sold primarily as a 'ghost detector' should be relegated to the advertising space usually found in the pages of 1960's comics along with x-ray specs.

Anything sold primarily as a 'ghost detector' should be relegated to the advertising space usually found in the pages of 1960's comics along with x-ray specs.

What's astonishing to me is some drone hobbyist went so deep into this, about electric fields, and nowhere along the way there wasn't an EE, someone with a little basic physics, to set him straight? He made an "expert advice" YT video!

It's very very hard to find an EF with a strong enough gradient to start interfering with biological processes. And that's substantially lower than what it takes to start causing any trouble with electronics.

The only component that could be affected at lower field strength is the motors, but would only be for brushed motors that have windings on the rotor. But since we use BLDC motors, the windings are stationary, so the effects of charged particles moving in an electric field (free electrons in the winding wires) won't be an issue.

...found in the pages of 1960's comics along with x-ray specs.

Boy this takes me back... As a wee lad, I ordered those x-ray specs (they worked! 😆), Sea Monkeys, and my prize of prizes, the tiny spy camera!

il_fullxfull.5137811991_lhnc.jpg

It came with a tiny roll of film, and it actually worked, although not very well. And, there was no easy way to get more film.

Good times 🙂

Boy this takes me back... As a wee lad, I ordered those x-ray specs (they worked! 😆), Sea Monkeys, and my prize of prizes, the tiny spy camera!

il_fullxfull.5137811991_lhnc.jpg

It came with a tiny roll of film, and it actually worked, although not very well. And, there was no easy way to get more film.

Good times 🙂
😁 Sea Monkeys.... they were the other things I was trying to remember.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr