DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For new pilots and new forum members. Kennziffer Planetary. What, why, and future UAV problems coming?

Seems like at least some people here take it seriously.
One more thing to take into account before even getting into the air.
Well this forum is full of old time flyers. We offer help to as the title says "new pilots and new forum members" I have at least 8 years experience and a few years of flying model airplanes with my dad. @Meta4 has said he has about 8 years experience flying drones also and he is one of or probably the best guy on this forum that for analysing data from flight incidents. If you don't buy into our over all experience then not much we can say will change your mind.
Have fun chasing a myth.

Well this forum is full of old time flyers. We offer help to as the title says "new pilots and new forum members" I have at least 8 years experience and a few years of flying model airplanes with my dad. @Meta4 has said he has about 8 years experience flying drones also and he is one of or probably the best guy on this forum that for analysing data from flight incidents. If you don't buy into our over all experience then not much we can say will change your mind.
Have fun chasing a myth.
So, just so I’m getting the point of this whole thing….should,or shouldn’t, the drone community be concerned ?
How’s that ?

Just like the GPS interference testing that has been going on for many years not one instance of a problem flying a drone in or around the testing area.

Seems like at least some people here take it seriously.
One more thing to take into account before even getting into the air.
There are always some people who will take anything seriously.
But that doesn't mean that a supposed issue is real.

Despite all the hype and paranoia, there has never been a drone flight affected by a high Kp index.

Reactions: ericole and Torque
There are always some people who will take anything seriously.
But that doesn't mean that a supposed issue is real.

Despite all the hype and paranoia, there has never been a drone flight affected by a high Kp index.
👍

So, just so I’m getting the point of this whole thing….should,or shouldn’t, the drone community be concerned ?
How’s that ?
No, No need to be concerned.
I've been flying since the Phantom 1 days, a bunch of DJI products as well as 3DR and Yuneec drones. Today's drone is quite different than those I started with.

Exactly what @Meta4 said. This is just all BS and in the 8 years I been flying I have never heard of one crash caused by high KP index. The photo below I posted on the Autelpilots forums on 2017-04-22. It clearly shows a KP index of 8 starting at 1PM and dropping to a 5 by 3PM. I flew my very old Aultel x-star drone several times during that time to see if I would have noticed and problems. Nothing, zip , not one problem. Its a myth, get over it.
View attachment 155990
I just think 14 hours of sun in April is pretty cool!

I think I'm a believer, to some degree. Isn't this what rendered CB radios essentially useless back in the late 70s or early 80s, right at the peak of the CB craze? Of course, technology is exponentially better now, and maybe our drones won't be as severely affected by this as some electronics were back then.

I think I'm a believer, to some degree. Isn't this what rendered CB radios essentially useless back in the late 70s or early 80s, right at the peak of the CB craze? Of course, technology is exponentially better now, and maybe our drones won't be as severely affected by this as some electronics were back then.
Actually it helped CB radios talk all over. Many a night was spent talking to guys far up North with my buddy. Ah the good old days.

Reactions: ericole
Interesting read as I’ve never heard of this. But for some perspective I’m in charge of a group that flies nano satellites in low earth orbit and we’ve had some extreme solar activity in the last couple of months. No issues with our commercial GPS receivers or data on our sats. The entire satellite is only 10cm x 10cm x 30 cm (not including solar arrays).

LOL, no. CB radio was not done in by solar cycles, sun-spots or KP index. Jesus. In-cab computers, GPS, cell phones, long range two-way radio, traffic apps and technology was the culprit. Every Tom, **** and Harry had a CB radio after the Smokey and the Bandit era and it was just a cess-pool of nonsense. Its usefulness came and went.

Is a full FEMA course also. Very educational to understand it.

The term “space weather” refers to effects on the space environment that arise from emissions from the sun, including solar flares, solar energetic particles, and coronal mass ejections. Space weather is a natural hazard that can significantly affect critical infrastructure essential to the economy, social wellbeing, and national security, such as electrical power, water supply, health care, and transportation.

"These emissions can interact with Earth, potentially degrading, disrupting, or damaging the technology that forms the Nation’s backbone of critical infrastructure. Because it poses a significant risk to the Nation’s security, space weather is included in the Department of Homeland Security’s Strategic National Risk Assessment, which outlines threats that pose the greatest risk to the security of the Nation and that, therefore, the Nation must prepare for.”

– Dr. Tamara Dickinson Principal Assistant Director for Environment and Energy, Office of Science and Technology Policy​

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike