DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad 4 Mini as Your Tablet

Wow...

1644350744921.png

The Ipad mini 5 showed up today. I got it set up and the flyapp downloaded, but guess what?:(

resizedIMG_4902 copy.PNG

Update: Beep! Baddabeep! Bada Beep beep beep!
Ipad mini 5 appears to work.
Chopped a batteries worth of atmosphere with no problems.
No cpu whining.
No warning.
No danger Will Robinson sorta things.

For now, I'm willing to stand behind a statement that the mini 5 does better than a cheap Chinesium tablet, a mini 4, or an Iphone 7plus.
That is..until the Apple folks grease up DJI's (whatever they grease up) and the fly app gets bulked up to make the mini 5 a POS.

Can't wait until they release the SDK for IOS though.
I wanna try some Litchi stuff that should have been included in this egg beater.

Update: Beep! Baddabeep! Bada Beep beep beep!
Ipad mini 5 appears to work.
Chopped a batteries worth of atmosphere with no problems.
No cpu whining.
No warning.
No danger Will Robinson sorta things.

For now, I'm willing to stand behind a statement that the mini 5 does better than a cheap Chinesium tablet, a mini 4, or an Iphone 7plus.
That is..until the Apple folks grease up DJI's (whatever they grease up) and the fly app gets bulked up to make the mini 5 a POS.

Can't wait until they release the SDK for IOS though.
I wanna try some Litchi stuff that should have been included in this egg beater.
Thanks! - The iPad Mini 5 is definitely on my short list.

As another "experiment" I tried using my 8th Gen iPad (full size).

Although it was definitely "up to the task" it is the most CPU intensive application that I have running on this tablet, by a good margin! :oops:

I also notice, that after the latest update, it is working my iPhone 8 a lot harder as well... :oops:

I find my iPhone screen to be way to small for the DJ Fly app. I was thinking about getting an iPod 4 Mini.
However, I ran across a comment that this combination is "laggy".
Is anybody using an iPod 4 Mini that can comment? I would probably also tether it to my iPhone so I have (live) access to various other UAV programs.
I read last year that the 5 is good but the 4 is not. Info taken off test comparisons, if this helps you to decide. Check YouTube, also. I fly an Air 2 off an iphone 11 Pro with no screen issues but if you need larger, then the Mini 5 would be my next choice. Cheers.

Reactions: ScottTX
I find my iPhone screen to be way to small for the DJ Fly app. I was thinking about getting an iPod 4 Mini.
Is anybody using an iPod 4 Mini that can comment? I would probably also tether it to my iPhone so I have (live) access to various other UAV programs.
I now use an Ipad Mini 6 and it's great, a little bigger screen with a smaller body than 4 or 5. Many other improvements too. Phones are just too small

My Mini4 gets CPU Overload with the Fly app, and now has started the same with GO4. Has always worked well with GO4 in the past.

I have zero issues with my iPad Mini 4.

The iPad mini 4 was *the* device to have for a long long time and there in lies the problem. It was the current model for an incredible 4 years. So long that people had accepted that there were going to be no more mini’s released and when the mini 5 was announced apple fanbois wet themselves in excitement world wide.

The problem is that while the hardware stayed the same it was a different situation with the software. The Fly app wasn’t even a glimmer in DJI’s mind when the mini 4 went out of production and the Go 4 app now is a much different beast now to what it was then. Putting it into perspective, the mini 4 rocks an A8 processor …. that’s what you’ll find in an iPhone 6s for perspective. Some people with modest requirements still use them but they are working hard, CPU overload and overheating is common.

As other have remarked the mini 5 with it’s A12 processor was a little beast on release and even now runs any drone related app with aplomb. I loved mine. Because (as a commercial) my insurance and liability issues become simpler in the event of a mishap when I can claim to be running the latest hardware I have upgraded now to the mini 6 but there was no other practical reason and I would not consider myself in any way handicapped were I still running a mini 5.

Regards
Ari

Thanks everyone, for the detailed responses - Simple enough for even a Hardware Engineer like me to understand. :) I agree that the iOS bloat is also involved. I have an ancient iPad Air (1st Gen) (circa iPhone 5S) with an A7 ARM, which is almost up to the task, because it was "spared" any iOS software upgrades since 12.5.5

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, for the detailed responses - Simple enough for even a Hardware Engineer like me to understand. :) I agree that the iOS bloat is also involved. I have an ancient iPad Air (1st Gen) (circa iPhone 5S) with an A7 ARM, which is almost up to the task, because it was "spared" any iOS software upgrades since 12.5.5
If it wasn’t hardware then you wouldn’t be an engineer right? 😝 (Ari ducks incoming coder fire)

I
I am flying a mavic air 2 with ipad mini 4 and am not seeing any issues but the "CPU overloaded" error" does show up.
I do not tax the bird with my flying capabilities, but see nothing negative. What are the downsides of continuing?
Thanks,

I believe the issue is that the MA2 transmits data back to the controller in 1080p now, if your mini4 is having issues, switch the transmission from HD to Smooth in the Fly app. HD is for 1080p mode and smooth is for 720. This should help the Mini4 process the data much easier.

I believe the issue is that the MA2 transmits data back to the controller in 1080p now, if your mini4 is having issues, switch the transmission from HD to Smooth in the Fly app. HD is for 1080p mode and smooth is for 720. This should help the Mini4 process the data much easier.
That sounds like that might be a good solution for any "underpowered" tablet. Even my Mini 6 goes through ~50% of its battery, during 1.5 HRS (3 battery packs) of flight time with my Air 2. No other iPad application (that I use anyhow) comes even close to that amount of "power" draw.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS